District Attorneys' Offices 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:44 pm

Anyone heard about first round interview offers from Philly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:31 am

Nothing from Philly, has anyone heard from Nassau or Suffolk (NY)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:39 am

Hey guys! New ADA here. I can answer general questions about the application process - I know it would've been nice to have that last year when I was applying. Sorry, I can't say anything about my specific office. I will do my best to check back but I can't promise I will be able to answer every question right away. Just some words of advise from the get go: be patient. If you're not a patient person, you are in for a very long year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys! New ADA here. I can answer general questions about the application process - I know it would've been nice to have that last year when I was applying. Sorry, I can't say anything about my specific office. I will do my best to check back but I can't promise I will be able to answer every question right away. Just some words of advise from the get go: be patient. If you're not a patient person, you are in for a very long year.
I have a panel interview with a DAs office, and it is the first round. Safe to say it is not just a screener, but a hypo/pressure interview?

Also, do you think a good resume can overshadow an average or slightly below average interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys! New ADA here. I can answer general questions about the application process - I know it would've been nice to have that last year when I was applying. Sorry, I can't say anything about my specific office. I will do my best to check back but I can't promise I will be able to answer every question right away. Just some words of advise from the get go: be patient. If you're not a patient person, you are in for a very long year.
I have a panel interview with a DAs office, and it is the first round. Safe to say it is not just a screener, but a hypo/pressure interview?

Also, do you think a good resume can overshadow an average or slightly below average interview?
Usually first rounds are just screeners. They want to make sure you have a genuine interest in and passion for this kind of work. However, I have heard of people getting hypos in first rounds. I got a hypo in one first round interview. I would say it's always best to be over-prepared.

As far as your second question, I can't speak to what an interviewer would think but based on my experience and knowing people who had great resumes but didn't get very far, I would say your interview will be extremely important and a great resume would most likely not overshadow a poor interview. Keep in mind that you will be representing your office and the DA when you're in court. They want to know that you can present yourself well in high pressure situations. I also know people whose resumes didn't shout criminal law but went very far with interviews.

Just a disclaimer that nothing I say is 100% - this is based solely on my own experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Usually first rounds are just screeners. They want to make sure you have a genuine interest in and passion for this kind of work. However, I have heard of people getting hypos in first rounds. I got a hypo in one first round interview. I would say it's always best to be over-prepared.

As far as your second question, I can't speak to what an interviewer would think but based on my experience and knowing people who had great resumes but didn't get very far, I would say your interview will be extremely important and a great resume would most likely not overshadow a poor interview. Keep in mind that you will be representing your office and the DA when you're in court. They want to know that you can present yourself well in high pressure situations. I also know people whose resumes didn't shout criminal law but went very far with interviews.

Just a disclaimer that nothing I say is 100% - this is based solely on my own experience.
Thanks. I mean, I know what qualities DA offices are looking for (public service, courtroom experience, ability to think on feet, etc.). My resume screams all of those. What concerns me is what I can say (that isn't already said on paper) that can distinguish me from everyone else. Everyone is bound to say the same thing or overlap significantly (e.g. "I'm here for teh justicez"). Do I stand out by being louder vocally, more verbose, or what? It is kind of hard to grasp....I understand you aren't an interviewer, but as someone who went through the hoops and got there ITE I'd just like to know your opinion and suggestions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:12 am

1) Did you have geographic ties to your office? If not, what did you say to try and emphasize your willingness to live in your area? If you DID have ties already, any recommendations on what to say if an applicant does not?

2) How did you prepare for hypos and stress interviewing?

Thanks for doing this!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. I mean, I know what qualities DA offices are looking for (public service, courtroom experience, ability to think on feet, etc.). My resume screams all of those. What concerns me is what I can say (that isn't already said on paper) that can distinguish me from everyone else. Everyone is bound to say the same thing or overlap significantly (e.g. "I'm here for teh justicez"). Do I stand out by being louder vocally, more verbose, or what? It is kind of hard to grasp....I understand you aren't an interviewer, but as someone who went through the hoops and got there ITE I'd just like to know your opinion and suggestions.
I have to run out the door soon so I can give you a lengthier answer later, but it's not a matter of being loud, quiet, etc. Everyone has different styles, you need to be yourself. You'll hear a million times that "so and so has this style but I could never do that." Obviously they want someone who is articulate - that goes without saying. But they are looking for people who can recognize ethical dilemmas and know how to handle those situations. They also want to hear your thought process. Don't just give your answer, but really explain how you came to that conclusion. Be honest, because they have strong BS detectors. If you don't know an answer it's okay to say "I'm not positive but this is how I would handle situation X." You can give the wrong answer and still rock your interview as long as you are logical and your answer is well thought out.

At the same time, don't overlook some of what you might thing are the standard answers that they hear all the time. You'd be amazed at how many people don't know how to answer "what does a prosecutor do?" Also, you need to have an answer for "why this office?" Those are crucial for first rounds. I think what got me so far was the fact that I had very clear answers to those questions and I came off as genuine and ethical. I didn't always know the answer but I did my best to explain why I thought the way I did. And stick to your guns because they will try to make you second guess yourself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
1) Did you have geographic ties to your office? If not, what did you say to try and emphasize your willingness to live in your area? If you DID have ties already, any recommendations on what to say if an applicant does not?

Thanks for doing this!
1) Yes, I had geographic ties to my office. I am from that area, but I did not go to law school there. For areas that you do not have ties to, you should focus on what it is about that specific office that is appealing to you. For instance, vertical vs. horizontal prosecution. If you have friends in the area, have always wanted to live there, or have interned there in the past, tell your interviewer. Beyond that I'm not sure what you can really say. I won't name specific offices, but you might just be SOL for certain offices. For major cities it can be a little easier to get by with no ties, but I can't stress enough how important it is to know about that specific office and why you want to be there.

2) I interned at DA's offices, so I talked to as many ADAs as possible about the hypos. I did a lot of research and read over my 1L crim law and crim pro outlines. I know everyone stresses ethics, but for some offices you really need to know your crim pro. It was most helpful to sit down with an ADA and do a mock interview where he just threw hypo after hypo at me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for doing this!
1) Yes, I had geographic ties to my office. I am from that area, but I did not go to law school there. For areas that you do not have ties to, you should focus on what it is about that specific office that is appealing to you. For instance, vertical vs. horizontal prosecution. If you have friends in the area, have always wanted to live there, or have interned there in the past, tell your interviewer. Beyond that I'm not sure what you can really say I won't name specific offices, but you might just be SOL for certain offices. For major cities it can be a little easier to get by with no ties, but I can't stress enough how important it is to know about that specific office and why you want to be there.

2) I interned at DA's offices, so I talked to as many ADAs as possible about the hypos. I did a lot of research and read over my 1L crim law and crim pro outlines. I know everyone stresses ethics, but for some offices you really need to know your crim pro. It was most helpful to sit down with an ADA and do a mock interview where he just threw hypo after hypo at me.
Thanks very much. The office I'm interviewing with is very large and in a very large city, and I was surprised at how much the screener put an emphasis on ties to the area. I suspect it's something that might come up in panel interviews, assuming that I move forward, and I'm trying to brain storm ideas. I basically did exactly what you said: emphasized the office itself as reason enough to move to the area. The guy just didn't seem to buy it, and I'm trying to brainstorm other approaches.

But thanks again! :) By the way, how is the job? Do you like it? Love it? Hate it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for doing this!
1) Yes, I had geographic ties to my office. I am from that area, but I did not go to law school there. For areas that you do not have ties to, you should focus on what it is about that specific office that is appealing to you. For instance, vertical vs. horizontal prosecution. If you have friends in the area, have always wanted to live there, or have interned there in the past, tell your interviewer. Beyond that I'm not sure what you can really say I won't name specific offices, but you might just be SOL for certain offices. For major cities it can be a little easier to get by with no ties, but I can't stress enough how important it is to know about that specific office and why you want to be there.

Thanks very much. The office I'm interviewing with is very large and in a very large city, and I was surprised at how much the screener put an emphasis on ties to the area. I suspect it's something that might come up in panel interviews, assuming that I move forward, and I'm trying to brain storm ideas. I basically did exactly what you said: emphasized the office itself as reason enough to move to the area. The guy just didn't seem to buy it, and I'm trying to brainstorm other approaches.

But thanks again! :) By the way, how is the job? Do you like it? Love it? Hate it?
Unfortunately, sometimes there just isn't much more you can say. But something like that is out of your hands and you just have to put your best foot forward and hope it's enough. Loving the job so far! I have to run out the door but I'll check back later for more questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Unfortunately, sometimes there just isn't much more you can say. But something like that is out of your hands and you just have to put your best foot forward and hope it's enough. Loving the job so far! I have to run out the door but I'll check back later for more questions.
Maybe you could give us a quick bio? Without doing too much to out yourself, approximate rank of LS attended, grades, internships and externships, LS activities, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:42 am

I have interviews coming up in the next two weeks with Bronx, Queens, and Nassau, and I'm waiting to hear from Suffolk (e-mailed application last week). Manhattan does not look probable at this point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unfortunately, sometimes there just isn't much more you can say. But something like that is out of your hands and you just have to put your best foot forward and hope it's enough. Loving the job so far! I have to run out the door but I'll check back later for more questions.
Maybe you could give us a quick bio? Without doing too much to out yourself, approximate rank of LS attended, grades, internships and externships, LS activities, etc.
I graduated from a T2, somewhere in the middle of my class. I externed for a judge my 1L summer, interned at my current office my 2L summer, and interned at another DA's office during 3L. I did not do moot court or mock trial since being on a journal and working as a TA took up too much time, but I took trial ad and participated in a prosecution practicum that included lectures and extern hours but was basically a year-long, extremely intense trial ad class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks for doing this!

How important do you think it was that you interned for DA's in the past? I really want crim, but I'm not sure my resume screams that - how difficult will it be to overcome?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for doing this!

How important do you think it was that you interned for DA's in the past? I really want crim, but I'm not sure my resume screams that - how difficult will it be to overcome?
It's pretty important. Most people I've met interned at a DA's office during law school or participated in some kind of prosecution clinic. Some also interned for a PD office or defense firm. That being said, it is not impossible and it's also not unheard of for people to get hired without that experience. It's just another hoop to jump through and you'll have to do some extra convincing as to why you want to do this and why you never got the experience. If you have a decent explanation and an awesome interview it should not be a total bar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:21 pm

Anyone heard anything from Suffolk?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:03 am

Question: Does anyone know anyone supposed to be Starting at Kings County NY in Jan 2014. (Hired this past spring). I've heard mixed reports that their offers are contingent on Hynes' reelection (which doesnt seem to be happening) and other people have said that those ADAs will be hired as planned.

Does anyone have any contacts that might know?

eastcoastlaw2

New

Post by eastcoastlaw2 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:23 am

Has anyone received first round interviews from the Bronx, Brooklyn or Suffolk from mail-in applications? or are most interviews so far from OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:05 pm

I heard for Bronx a few days ago, a mailed in my app in late august. Nothing yet from Suffolk, anyone else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Manhattan is the only office that I know has done interviews. They're typically earlier, too. I bet initial interviews for other counties start coming in the next few weeks. Need to get my KCDA app in...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:25 pm

This thread only for people looking for full time jobs? I have a callback (I guess you can call it that?) with the Philly DA's office in a few weeks, but I'm just a 2L looking for a summer job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:40 pm

I have a 2nd round panel interview with Nassau DA and an upcoming screener with Manhattan. So at least Nassau is moving forward at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a 2nd round panel interview with Nassau DA and an upcoming screener with Manhattan. So at least Nassau is moving forward at this point.
Wow, that's fast. When did you have your Nassau screener?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a 2nd round panel interview with Nassau DA and an upcoming screener with Manhattan. So at least Nassau is moving forward at this point.
Wow, that's fast. When did you have your Nassau screener?

~4 weeks ago. The notice of getting to second round came in the mail a week ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”