District Attorneys' Offices 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can speak to Manhattan from experience.

1. They will not schedule 2 rounds of interviews on the same day under any circumstances. and..
2. It's really not snooty. DA's offices in the city all have weird relationships with each other, and ADAs all have their opinions about other boroughs. Manhattan is not pretentious or snooty at all, and the ADAs are very, very down to earth, just from what I've seen.


Different AP here, do you have any idea (or anyone else who may know) if Manhattan will do the first round over the phone ???


No. Absolutely not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Miami-Dade
1. OCI interview during first week of september. One hypo.
2. Had second round interview mid-October. No hypos. Smoked and joked with the interviewers, lol.


I have my second round coming up in the next few weeks. Do you mind expanding on how exactly this went down and what exactly you talked about?


They asked me questions about certain weaknesses of my resume, why I think I would be a good prosecutor, etc. They were really friendly and cracked a few jokes. I have some experiences that are unique, so that served as the basis for a lot of our discussion.

As far as no hypo goes, I asked at the end if I was to be given a hypo, but they said that they got all the answers they needed from my first round.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can speak to Manhattan from experience.

1. They will not schedule 2 rounds of interviews on the same day under any circumstances. and..
2. It's really not snooty. DA's offices in the city all have weird relationships with each other, and ADAs all have their opinions about other boroughs. Manhattan is not pretentious or snooty at all, and the ADAs are very, very down to earth, just from what I've seen.



Undoubtedly. Even within one particular borough, I'm sure you'll find different attitudes within each different bureau.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Miami-Dade
1. OCI interview during first week of september. One hypo.
2. Had second round interview mid-October. No hypos. Smoked and joked with the interviewers, lol.


I have my second round coming up in the next few weeks. Do you mind expanding on how exactly this went down and what exactly you talked about?


They asked me questions about certain weaknesses of my resume, why I think I would be a good prosecutor, etc. They were really friendly and cracked a few jokes. I have some experiences that are unique, so that served as the basis for a lot of our discussion.

As far as no hypo goes, I asked at the end if I was to be given a hypo, but they said that they got all the answers they needed from my first round.


Thanks for the answers. If you don't mind answering a few more, were the people who interviewed you the same as your initial interview? About how long did it last, and do you know if you made it to the 3rd round yet? And thanks again you are putting me at ease.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I can speak to Manhattan from experience.

1. They will not schedule 2 rounds of interviews on the same day under any circumstances. and..
2. It's really not snooty. DA's offices in the city all have weird relationships with each other, and ADAs all have their opinions about other boroughs. Manhattan is not pretentious or snooty at all, and the ADAs are very, very down to earth, just from what I've seen.


Not true, at least with regard to point one. I did my second and third round in one day.

Though, no, I don't think DANY does first and second round in one day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can speak to Manhattan from experience.

1. They will not schedule 2 rounds of interviews on the same day under any circumstances. and..
2. It's really not snooty. DA's offices in the city all have weird relationships with each other, and ADAs all have their opinions about other boroughs. Manhattan is not pretentious or snooty at all, and the ADAs are very, very down to earth, just from what I've seen.


Not true, at least with regard to point one. I did my second and third round in one day.

Though, no, I don't think DANY does first and second round in one day.


Thanks to both AP's....I talked to them toady and they said they were not willing to do the FIRST and SECOND rounds in the same day, but they said there is a possibility that they will do the SECOND AND THIRD rounds together...

For the AP that said you scheduled the second and third, when did you do your second and third? And are you from out of state?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can speak to Manhattan from experience.

1. They will not schedule 2 rounds of interviews on the same day under any circumstances. and..
2. It's really not snooty. DA's offices in the city all have weird relationships with each other, and ADAs all have their opinions about other boroughs. Manhattan is not pretentious or snooty at all, and the ADAs are very, very down to earth, just from what I've seen.


Not true, at least with regard to point one. I did my second and third round in one day.

Though, no, I don't think DANY does first and second round in one day.


Thanks to both AP's....I talked to them toady and they said they were not willing to do the FIRST and SECOND rounds in the same day, but they said there is a possibility that they will do the SECOND AND THIRD rounds together...

For the AP that said you scheduled the second and third, when did you do your second and third? And are you from out of state?

I received the offer at the beginning of October and scheduled it for last week. And yes, I'm from out of town.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can speak to Manhattan from experience.

1. They will not schedule 2 rounds of interviews on the same day under any circumstances. and..
2. It's really not snooty. DA's offices in the city all have weird relationships with each other, and ADAs all have their opinions about other boroughs. Manhattan is not pretentious or snooty at all, and the ADAs are very, very down to earth, just from what I've seen.


Not true, at least with regard to point one. I did my second and third round in one day.

Though, no, I don't think DANY does first and second round in one day.


Thanks to both AP's....I talked to them toady and they said they were not willing to do the FIRST and SECOND rounds in the same day, but they said there is a possibility that they will do the SECOND AND THIRD rounds together...

For the AP that said you scheduled the second and third, when did you do your second and third? And are you from out of state?

I received the offer at the beginning of October and scheduled it for last week. And yes, I'm from out of town.


Thanks for the info. Anything out of the ordinary to expect in the first interview? Or just the standard "why NY, why Manhattan Office, why prosecution
questions?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Did anyone apply to the law clerk position with Clark County in Nevada and has heard anything? It is a clerk position but is the main feeder into becoming an Assistant DA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone apply to the law clerk position with Clark County in Nevada and has heard anything? It is a clerk position but is the main feeder into becoming an Assistant DA.


haven't heard anything

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Miami-Dade
1. OCI interview during first week of september. One hypo.
2. Had second round interview mid-October. No hypos. Smoked and joked with the interviewers, lol.


I have my second round coming up in the next few weeks. Do you mind expanding on how exactly this went down and what exactly you talked about?


They asked me questions about certain weaknesses of my resume, why I think I would be a good prosecutor, etc. They were really friendly and cracked a few jokes. I have some experiences that are unique, so that served as the basis for a lot of our discussion.

As far as no hypo goes, I asked at the end if I was to be given a hypo, but they said that they got all the answers they needed from my first round.


Thanks for the answers. If you don't mind answering a few more, were the people who interviewed you the same as your initial interview? About how long did it last, and do you know if you made it to the 3rd round yet? And thanks again you are putting me at ease.


I'm assuming we're still talking about Miami-Dade, correct me if I'm wrong;

The interviewers in the first round were different from the ones in the second round, with the second round being (obviously) the more senior/deputy bureau chiefs. The second round lasted only about 20-30 minutes, since they didn't bother with a hypo and only asked about my resume and experience. I have not heard anything about 3rd round yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the info. Anything out of the ordinary to expect in the first interview? Or just the standard "why NY, why Manhattan Office, why prosecution questions?


No, not really. Apparently some ADAs will give a hypo in the first round, but I didn't receive one. Just be prepared to talk about the questions you mentioned.

The whole process is fairly opaque. I wish they would give info on, for example, the winnowing from 1st to 2nd to 3rd rounds. We know the statistic that there are roughly 40/50 positions available, and that roughly 2500 people apply each year. But where do they start culling the numbers?

Anyway, that's off-topic but something I was thinking about this morning.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the info. Anything out of the ordinary to expect in the first interview? Or just the standard "why NY, why Manhattan Office, why prosecution questions?


No, not really. Apparently some ADAs will give a hypo in the first round, but I didn't receive one. Just be prepared to talk about the questions you mentioned.

The whole process is fairly opaque. I wish they would give info on, for example, the winnowing from 1st to 2nd to 3rd rounds. We know the statistic that there are roughly 40/50 positions available, and that roughly 2500 people apply each year. But where do they start culling the numbers?

Anyway, that's off-topic but something I was thinking about this morning.



I got 4 hypos my first round, but they were relatively short. Only one went beyond a substantive reasoning, and actually "why" I would do something.

I agree. Although you can make assumptions that the pool narrows the further along you are, it would be nice to know if making it to a particular round means your chances have significantly improved.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Snail mail rejection from DANY after 2nd interview...was mailed out Friday

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Out of towner?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Snail mail rejection from DANY after 2nd interview...was mailed out Friday

Ugh, sorry for the bad news. When did you interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Snail mail rejection from DANY after 2nd interview...was mailed out Friday

Ugh, sorry for the bad news. When did you interview?


Interview 1 early september, interview 2 late october. and no, not out of town

campbecj
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:23 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby campbecj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Anyone heard from Queens or Nassau yet? (out of town preferably)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the info. Anything out of the ordinary to expect in the first interview? Or just the standard "why NY, why Manhattan Office, why prosecution questions?


No, not really. Apparently some ADAs will give a hypo in the first round, but I didn't receive one. Just be prepared to talk about the questions you mentioned.

The whole process is fairly opaque. I wish they would give info on, for example, the winnowing from 1st to 2nd to 3rd rounds. We know the statistic that there are roughly 40/50 positions available, and that roughly 2500 people apply each year. But where do they start culling the numbers?

Anyway, that's off-topic but something I was thinking about this morning.



I got 4 hypos my first round, but they were relatively short. Only one went beyond a substantive reasoning, and actually "why" I would do something.

I agree. Although you can make assumptions that the pool narrows the further along you are, it would be nice to know if making it to a particular round means your chances have significantly improved.


This may be outdated, but back in 2009-2010 I believe they said something like 750 first round interviews, 400-ish panels, 100-150 3rd rounds and about 50 final rounds (with just about everyone getting an offer). Not sure how things are now since this was under the previous DA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This may be outdated, but back in 2009-2010 I believe they said something like 750 first round interviews, 400-ish panels, 100-150 3rd rounds and about 50 final rounds (with just about everyone getting an offer). Not sure how things are now since this was under the previous DA.

Wow, good to know! That's shocking that only 750 1st round interviews go out - don't they usually get like 2000 apps?

I wonder how that third round figure works with out of town interviews...I think they give round 3 to anyone who flies in.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 pm

campbecj wrote:Anyone heard from Queens or Nassau yet? (out of town preferably)


Received snail mail today from Nassau with instructions for scheduling 2nd round. I am not from out of town though. Still haven't heard anything from Queens.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 am

campbecj wrote:Anyone heard from Queens or Nassau yet? (out of town preferably)



Haven't heard anything from Queens. Shame, because its my first choice, but if DANY offers, I'm accepting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Has anyone been offered a 4th round for DANY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:04 pm

email rejection from SD post-bar. Not even an interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:59 pm

Rejected via snail mail from Nassau County (Long Island) today...




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.