District Attorneys' Offices 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:21 pm

FYI for those of you waiting on BXDA offers, in past years offers have gone out through February and March, with some people even being offered as late as 2 days before the class started. Additionally, those that don't receive offers for Fall 2014 may end up in the January 2015 class.

No news is good news!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I've heard Manhattan, Nassau, Philadelphia and the Bronx all made offers today.
The holidays are finally over, it would make sense that offers would start going out. We can probably assume that this will be happening until probably the end of the month if not beyond for some offices
If anyone here received a Philly offer, how were you informed? Have they sent out rejections for December interviews?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I've heard Manhattan, Nassau, Philadelphia and the Bronx all made offers today.
The holidays are finally over, it would make sense that offers would start going out. We can probably assume that this will be happening until probably the end of the month if not beyond for some offices
If anyone here received a Philly offer, how were you informed? Have they sent out rejections for December interviews?
my 3l friend who interviewed (panel) in oct still has not heard back!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's second hand - I called for a status update on my application at one of the offices and was told that they had a number of applicants call today with offers and specifically said that one of the offers was Nassau.
I doubt the accuracy of this for Nassau. They generally do not make any offers until April at the earliest. I would guess the person providing you this information is either lying or had very special circumstances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:18 am

If offers went out, I wonder if ding letters are being mailed out today as well. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's second hand - I called for a status update on my application at one of the offices and was told that they had a number of applicants call today with offers and specifically said that one of the offers was Nassau.
I doubt the accuracy of this for Nassau. They generally do not make any offers until April at the earliest. I would guess the person providing you this information is either lying or had very special circumstances.
I'm the poster who received an email. I had a third round in December. Basically it said I moved to their finalist list but they weren't making offers until after the interview process was over and I should call if I had a pending offer. So I agree, I don't think second-hand info was correct.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any insight into what NY case law you should know before an interview?

Brady
and what else
I've found it to be important to simply know the name of hearings and know what they do.
Know what a Sandavol hearing is, know what a Huntley hearing is, know what a Wade and Mapp hearings are.

Which I guess is all technically case law so
So this is bad advice. I've made it to the final rounds in all of the NY offices and never had to know NY specific case law.
If your interviewing for post-grad brush up on 4th amendment (search and seizure), 5th amendment and 6th amendments and exclusionary rule. Know COLD the Death of a Witness hypo (got asked this four times) and your ethical
obligations as a prosecutor. If you can discuss this stuff, you'll do great.
J

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any insight into what NY case law you should know before an interview?

Brady
and what else
I've found it to be important to simply know the name of hearings and know what they do.
Know what a Sandavol hearing is, know what a Huntley hearing is, know what a Wade and Mapp hearings are.

Which I guess is all technically case law so

Just a brief correction-- Sandoval is the only one on this list that's NY-specific. The others (Brady, Huntley, Wade, and Mapp) are all federal cases.

If I had to pick one case that any prosecutor/public defender should know, it would be DeBour. For the most part, however, I haven't been asked as many search and seizure questions as ethical/professional rules of responsibility questions.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:16 am

encore1101 wrote:If I had to pick one case that any prosecutor/public defender should know, it would be DeBour. For the most part, however, I haven't been asked as many search and seizure questions as ethical/professional rules of responsibility questions.
Oh De Bour...how I love/hate thee.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:41 pm

Rejected by the Bronx today after 2nd round. I'm now down to Queens, Nassau, or Plan B.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:20 am

Anyone know the etiquette on calling a DA's office for status updates after you've already done a first round?

Its been over 30 days since I interviewed with Nassau and I haven't heard anything. I am very interested in that office and would like to know one way or the other, though, I don't think its looking good for me since I don't think they've even called my references. Is it appropriate to call and ask about my status, or should I just keep waiting?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:28 am

What are peoples' plans if they strike out at the offices they want?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know the etiquette on calling a DA's office for status updates after you've already done a first round?

Its been over 30 days since I interviewed with Nassau and I haven't heard anything. I am very interested in that office and would like to know one way or the other, though, I don't think its looking good for me since I don't think they've even called my references. Is it appropriate to call and ask about my status, or should I just keep waiting?
I think 30 days is more than a sufficient wait time. I have not hesitated throughout this process to call up and check in on my status, ask if there any additional materials that may be useful in my evaluation. I think that as long as you are friendly and professional when you call, you really can't do any damage to your application. In fact, you may even help yourself by continuing to demonstrate your interest in a particular office.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know the etiquette on calling a DA's office for status updates after you've already done a first round?

I thought Nassau had a policy of telling you within 30 days of your interview what your status was? Just be like "Yo, Nassau. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot."

Just kidding. If it's been 30 days and no response, it wouldn't hurt to send a very polite, cordial e-mail asking about the status of your application. You can say something like "I wanted to make sure that my application wasn't missing any documents" or "Here are my Fall semester grades to aid in your decision." Basically, come up with an excuse to send an e-mail and throw in a question about the status of your application.

If your e-mail just asks about the application, just throw in some filler lines like "I understand your office is very busy blahblah."

The delay might be attributable to the fact that the NYC offices are starting to make offers, thus putting pressure on Nassau DA's office to decide whether to likewise make offers to the same candidates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are peoples' plans if they strike out at the offices they want?

Panhandle.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are peoples' plans if they strike out at the offices they want?

Panhandle.
Any reason why? Or is this not a serious response

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Anybody heard anything out of Miami lately? From people I have talked to inside and outside of Florida, it seems Miami sent out a first batch of offers before Christmas to people who attend school outside of Florida only (with some offers coming as early as September).

I haven't heard of anyone getting an offer who interviewed in November/ December, inside or outside of Florida. Has anyone heard anything different? And does anyone know how they inform you of an offer (I think snail mail but was hoping someone could confirm), or when we should hear by?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:17 pm

Working at a small civil lit. firm now, so I'll hope they hire me. If not, I really have no idea, but seems less likely I will get anything until after the bar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Working at a small civil lit. firm now, so I'll hope they hire me. If not, I really have no idea, but seems less likely I will get anything until after the bar.
Same... apply to smaller officers which hire post-bar (after I take the bar of course). And from what I understand, smaller offices + ties to the area make those jobs easy to get when there is an opening. The problem is that openings are infrequent, and so my biggest fear is having to wait until October or something for a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:41 pm

kay2016 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Panhandle.
Any reason why? Or is this not a serious response
It wasn't a serious response. If I had struck out at all the DA offices I applied to, I also applied to Legal Aid Society and have some experience working with their Family Court Division (I did an internship with the NYC Law Department). If that didn't pan out, I also applied to Office of the Appellate Defender, which is a PD agency but for appeals. Brooklyn Defenders.

If I struck out on all of those, I would probably look for some other civil rights-related position or fellowship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Anyone have an interview with Suffolk County (NY) DA? I have one this week and am looking for a little insight into the First Round.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:28 pm

Can anyone shed light on the 3rd round Nassau interview with DA Rice? (questions, formality, offer rate, number of interviewers, or any other info). Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:55 pm

What do you think happens with Brooklyn DA? Their website says to check back Jan 15 for updates but I'm interested to see what the time table is for hiring a Jan 2015 class. I know that the Jan 2014 class was all re-interviewed and unsure when they start now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:05 am

Looking for input:

Had a panel interview with Philly DA in October, think I did very well, but as with most of us I have not heard anything from them since. I recently got my Fall grades back with a near 4.0 that bumped by GPA by 2 points. Should I email some of my panel members/contacts to give them my new GPA this late in the game?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you think happens with Brooklyn DA? Their website says to check back Jan 15 for updates but I'm interested to see what the time table is for hiring a Jan 2015 class. I know that the Jan 2014 class was all re-interviewed and unsure when they start now.
The Jan 2014 class starts February 3rd.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”