District Attorneys' Offices 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Rejected via snail mail from Nassau County (Long Island) today...
Sorry for the bad news. :( Did you have a screener with them? I sent in an app a while back and have heard nothing from them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
campbecj wrote:Anyone heard from Queens or Nassau yet? (out of town preferably)
Received snail mail today from Nassau with instructions for scheduling 2nd round. I am not from out of town though. Still haven't heard anything from Queens.
Congrats on Nassau, do you mind sharing about your first round? Hypos or just why prosecution/why Nassau?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Call from Queens today...accepted for a first and second round interview

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Received snail mail today from Nassau with instructions for scheduling 2nd round. I am not from out of town though. Still haven't heard anything from Queens.
Congrats on Nassau, do you mind sharing about your first round? Hypos or just why prosecution/why Nassau?
Sure. I had both. Why Nassau wasn't too extensive since I'm from/went to school on Long Island. I did get the standard why prosecution questions, and after giving a general "I like criminal law" answer was of course asked why prosecution instead of defense. I was asked to pick an area of criminal law that I find interesting, and then was asked hypos about a case where that type of crime was committed. It was a narrow area that I don't actually know much about, but I guess that I was able to fumble through well enough to get a 2nd round. FYI when I called to schedule a second round I asked about the timeline generally and was told that they are hoping to make employment offers by late April, but last year it went into June. Now to figure out what to write about for the writing sample.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Call from Queens today...accepted for a first and second round interview
Do you mean you are doing both at once? Are you from out of town?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Call from Queens today...accepted for a first and second round interview
Yea im from out of town. They were willing to schedule two interviews in one day seeing as their schedule permitted such.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rejected via snail mail from Nassau County (Long Island) today...
Sorry for the bad news. :( Did you have a screener with them? I sent in an app a while back and have heard nothing from them.
Nope, no screener. I am from out of town. Applied around October 9th, rejection came in the mail on October 29. Best of luck to you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:22 am

Has Queens started doing second rounds or just combo 1st/2nd Rounds?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Local NYer applying to all... here's my breakdown...

Nassau: Snail Mail Rejection beginning of October

Bronx: Scheduled 2nd Round

Queens: Notified for 2nd Round, Not Scheduled

Manhattan: Had 2nd Round in beginning of October, they said I would hear something towards the end of the month, but nothing yet.

Brooklyn: Submitted, but i think with the election they are on a freeze.

Has anyone heard from Manhattan for a 3rd round yet? or 4th?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Local NYer applying to all... here's my breakdown...

Manhattan: Had 2nd Round in beginning of October, they said I would hear something towards the end of the month, but nothing yet.

Do you mind sharing when your 1st rounds for Bronx and Queens were and when you were notified and how (email?) about 2nd round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Correct on Brooklyn. I talked them last week and they said at the earliest they would start holding interviews at the end of November...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Do you mind sharing when your 1st rounds for Bronx and Queens were and when you were notified and how (email?) about 2nd round?
Bronx and Queens 1st round were OCI through my school. Bronx I received a call followed by an email with info for 2nd round. For queens I got a call from my school letting me know that i had been selected for a 2nd round by queens and they would be in touch over the next week or 2 to set up an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bronx and Queens 1st round were OCI through my school. Bronx I received a call followed by an email with info for 2nd round. For queens I got a call from my school letting me know that i had been selected for a 2nd round by queens and they would be in touch over the next week or 2 to set up an interview.
Shit. Felt like I had a good 1st round with Queens.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sure. I had both. Why Nassau wasn't too extensive since I'm from/went to school on Long Island. I did get the standard why prosecution questions, and after giving a general "I like criminal law" answer was of course asked why prosecution instead of defense. I was asked to pick an area of criminal law that I find interesting, and then was asked hypos about a case where that type of crime was committed. It was a narrow area that I don't actually know much about, but I guess that I was able to fumble through well enough to get a 2nd round. FYI when I called to schedule a second round I asked about the timeline generally and was told that they are hoping to make employment offers by late April, but last year it went into June. Now to figure out what to write about for the writing sample.
Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:52 pm

2L here, currently interning at a DA's office and want nothing more than to get a position with one of these offices next year. This entire thread is making me sweat so much. Best of luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Miami-Dade
1. OCI interview during first week of september. One hypo.
2. Had second round interview mid-October. No hypos. Smoked and joked with the interviewers.

AP here from page 5. Received a letter via snail mail informin me I advanced to third round. Letter was dated October 29, approximately 2 weeks after my second round interview. The SA will be coming up mid-November for the interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Local NYer applying to all... here's my breakdown...

Heard back for Manhattan 3rd round approximately 2 weeks after my 2nd interview

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:03 am

As someone who was offered from bk, it helps to have someone political to pick up the phone for you and be like "this is my guy, hire him please." Then they'll have u in for an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Miami-Dade
2. Had second round interview mid-October. No hypos. Smoked and joked with the interviewers.

AP here from page 5. Received a letter via snail mail informin me I advanced to third round. Letter was dated October 29, approximately 2 weeks after my second round interview. The SA will be coming up mid-November for the interview.
Congrats! I am surprised you didn't get your third round when you were down there, I heard that's what they usually do for out of towners, but maybe she wasn't in the office that day... I have heard the third round is a formality and you are all but guaranteed an offer (but I don't know how much truth there is to this and my sample size is small).

Do you (or anyone else) know how many people get a second round interview? And congrats again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Miami-Dade

Congrats! I am surprised you didn't get your third round when you were down there, I heard that's what they usually do for out of towners, but maybe she wasn't in the office that day... I have heard the third round is a formality and you are all but guaranteed an offer (but I don't know how much truth there is to this and my sample size is small).

Do you (or anyone else) know how many people get a second round interview? And congrats again.

Thanks! I actually never went down to Miami-Dade for an interview; my first round was through OCI, and their office sent two senior ADAs for my second round. I haven't heard anything about whether their third-round is a mere formality or actual intense interview. :\

As far as second round goes, I only know my own school's OCI stats. They had slots for approximately 30 people for first-round, but the second round had only 8 call backs from my school and 2 others from another nearby school (I looked at their schedule).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Miami-Dade

Thanks! I actually never went down to Miami-Dade for an interview; my first round was through OCI, and their office sent two senior ADAs for my second round. I haven't heard anything about whether their third-round is a mere formality or actual intense interview. :\

As far as second round goes, I only know my own school's OCI stats. They had slots for approximately 30 people for first-round, but the second round had only 8 call backs from my school and 2 others from another nearby school (I looked at their schedule).
You don't go to school in FL right (if you don't mind me asking)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote: You don't go to school in FL right (if you don't mind me asking)?
Nope, go to a school in the north east.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Are there general score cutoffs in terms of applications that most DA offices follow? I received an email with my score, and was told I will be contacted separately if chosen to interview. Just wondering what my score means. I don't have much experience with this type of application process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yea im from out of town. They were willing to schedule two interviews in one day seeing as their schedule permitted such.
When did you submit your application? Wondering what's going on with mine. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
When did you submit your application? Wondering what's going on with mine. Thanks in advance!
I submitted my application on October 5 and received a call on October 30. Don't sweat if you have not gotten a call because I dont know how they decide who and when to call people. If it has been more than 3 weeks, i would give them a shout and see what the status with your app is. Or you could get another Letter of Recommendation and send it in to help your chances.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”