District Attorneys' Offices 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Recently received a call from Cook County...anyone have any information on the process for their ASA hiring??? Any info would help...thanks
You made it through to round 2? I know round three is not until February/March and they let people know in May. What questions do you have?
No man. I am from out of town and recieved a call for a first round. They said they were conducting interviews on two specific days. Is there a total of 3 rounds?
ah, I see. Yea, there are three total rounds.
Hey sorry if that came off "rude," I did not mean it to. I appreciate the information though. Any idea of when the third rounds are conducted? I know you dont hear about offers till April/May, but since I am from WAY out of town, that may be a little on the late side...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:15 am

ah, I see. Yea, there are three total rounds.[/quote]

Hey sorry if that came off "rude," I did not mean it to. I appreciate the information though. Any idea of when the third rounds are conducted? I know you dont hear about offers till April/May, but since I am from WAY out of town, that may be a little on the late side...[/quote]

you're good man. Third rounds are supposed to be February/March. After you complete your first interview they will give you a sheet of paper that tells you when all of the rounds are. Maybe they will do your second round via skype/phone? Not sure how that works.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:42 am

Trust me when I say that you want to show up in person for all the interview rounds. I am a current Cook County ASA and the position is very competitive. You do not want your interviewers to think you are not interested in the job because you did not come to a live interview. Good Luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Thanks to both of the above posters. I am in Cali going to school but originally from North East. I have heard some great things about CC in the office I work in now from DA's who have worked there. I am grateful to have gotten selected for an interview.

As for the rounds, I will DEFINITELY show up for the live interviews, no doubt. Would not do skype even if an option. However I am hoping that maybe they can work with me a bit on the second and third round or for the final offer given I am 2200 miles away. We shall see...either way I hope to do good in the first round.

AP above who works for Cook County, what should I expect in the first round interview besides "why prosecution", "why CC" kind of questions?????

Thanks again guys, any and all info is much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks to both of the above posters. I am in Cali going to school but originally from North East. I have heard some great things about CC in the office I work in now from DA's who have worked there. I am grateful to have gotten selected for an interview.

As for the rounds, I will DEFINITELY show up for the live interviews, no doubt. Would not do skype even if an option. However I am hoping that maybe they can work with me a bit on the second and third round or for the final offer given I am 2200 miles away. We shall see...either way I hope to do good in the first round.

AP above who works for Cook County, what should I expect in the first round interview besides "why prosecution", "why CC" kind of questions?????

Different Cook County ASA jumping in. It's good that you work with former ASA's. A couple days before your interview, you will get a phone call or email with the names of your interviewers. You need to have the DA's you know who were former ASA's call your interviewers for you. You also need to get as many letters of recommendation as possible, and bring them with you to your interviews.

Honestly, for the first and second rounds you shouldn't expect much besides the standard "why prosecution" and "why this office" questions. Maybe a couple questions about things on your resume, but most of these interviews tend to last between 5-15 minutes.

Are you a URM by any chance? I'll be honest, if you haven't clerked for this office it is VERY difficult to get hired unless you are a URM from out of state.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks to both of the above posters. I am in Cali going to school but originally from North East. I have heard some great things about CC in the office I work in now from DA's who have worked there. I am grateful to have gotten selected for an interview.

Different Cook County ASA jumping in. It's good that you work with former ASA's. A couple days before your interview, you will get a phone call or email with the names of your interviewers. You need to have the DA's you know who were former ASA's call your interviewers for you. You also need to get as many letters of recommendation as possible, and bring them with you to your interviews.

Honestly, for the first and second rounds you shouldn't expect much besides the standard "why prosecution" and "why this office" questions. Maybe a couple questions about things on your resume, but most of these interviews tend to last between 5-15 minutes.

Are you a URM by any chance? I'll be honest, if you haven't clerked for this office it is VERY difficult to get hired unless you are a URM from out of state.
Appreciate the information...And no, I am not a URM and have not clerked for CC while in school. Sounds like it could be a longshot but they offered me an interview so that's the first step. Sounds like the first few interviews are basically to get to know you so thats not that bad. Thanks again. May i ask, how do you like Cook County?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Appreciate the information...And no, I am not a URM and have not clerked for CC while in school. Sounds like it could be a longshot but they offered me an interview so that's the first step. Sounds like the first few interviews are basically to get to know you so thats not that bad. Thanks again. May i ask, how do you like Cook County?
Yeah you'll have a shot. But I can't stress enough how much you need your former ASA friends to hustle on your behalf. Don't be shy. They know what the drill is.

I like Cook County. But I'm from Chicago so these are my people. The one thing you should know is that the office is vastly under-funded, which can be frustrating and stressful for everyone involved. In that light, the entire county justice system would grind to a halt if not for the efficiency, resourcefulness, and general fairness of its ASAs (but maybe I'm biased).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Has anyone who had their first round with Queens through OCI heard about a second round? I know that some rejections have gone out by regular mail but I haven't heard about anyone moving on to the second round.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:12 am

Had round 1 with queens via OCI, last week or so I got a call from my school saying I was selected for the second round, but queens was behind with scheduling and I would hear from them in the next two weeks to set something up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Got a callback for Queens 2 (interned there over the summer), but only after I told them I was having my third and final round with Miami on Wednesday.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Turned down a lateral offer from Private firm----->BX/NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Did anyone else apply to Yolo County in CA? (Yes…there is a YOLO County…)
How about Sacramento County?
Any news on either? I know Yolo is starting their process this week. Not sure about Sac for criminal/civil (preference is Criminal of course)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone else apply to Yolo County in CA? (Yes…there is a YOLO County…)
Any news on either? I know Yolo is starting their process this week. Not sure about Sac for criminal/civil (preference is Criminal of course)

Only received confirmation from Sac town. i thought Yolo said to not submit materials until April 15?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone else apply to Yolo County in CA? (Yes…there is a YOLO County…)

Only received confirmation from Sac town. i thought Yolo said to not submit materials until April 15?
I got a confirmation from DA in Sac, "Processing Apps" for Civil (County)

DA1 in Yolo (apps ended on 11/8):
Week of 11/11/2013 Screen for Minimum Qualifications
Week of 11/18/2013 Screen for Best Qualified
11/25 - 12/06/2013 Department Selection Interviews
TBD Reference checks will be conducted
TBD Tentative job offer/Livescan/Alcohol and Drug Screen
01/06/2014 Estimated start date
** All dates are tentative and subject to change**

County Counsel in Yolo:
SELECTION PROCEDURE
Week of 11/11/2013: Screen for Minimum Qualifications
Week of 11/18/2013: Screen for Best Qualified
Week of 12/02/2013: Department Selection Interviews
Week of 12/09/2013: Finalist Interviews
Week of 12/16/2013: Tentative Job Offer/Livescan/Drug and Alcohol Screen
01/06/2014: Estimated Start Date

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

County Counsel in Yolo:
SELECTION PROCEDURE
are you licensed? if so, my bad i was referring to post bar

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

County Counsel in Yolo:
SELECTION PROCEDURE
are you licensed? if so, my bad i was referring to post bar
yep, licensed in June of this year and ready to work!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:24 am

Did my 3rd and final interview with Miami-Dade's SAO.

She said I "did very well," but did not extend me an offer, saying that I should hear from her office in Dec/Jan.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did my 3rd and final interview with Miami-Dade's SAO.

She said I "did very well," but did not extend me an offer, saying that I should hear from her office in Dec/Jan.
FYI that's what I've heard is normal, I know a few people who work there and none of them heard at their third interview, and some heard as early as December and some as late as March. Do you mind sharing the details of the interview? Length, questions asked etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

FYI that's what I've heard is normal, I know a few people who work there and none of them heard at their third interview, and some heard as early as December and some as late as March. Do you mind sharing the details of the interview? Length, questions asked etc.?
I believe this is because the office has to vet your past after you submit the application they sent you after the second interview. It's pretty extensive. It may take them awhile to contact all your references/ check your background.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Interview was 30 minutes at her hotel room in Manhattan.

She asked me my opinion on various topics, like about legalizing Marijuana, who my favorite/least favorite SCOTUS justices were. No legal hypos. She asked why Miami. I have some law enforcement/public service experience prior to coming to law school, so we talked about that. Why I chose the school I did.

Reiterating the pay scale and making sure I'd be able to commit to 3 years if an offer was extended/accepted.

merlin

New

Post by merlin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:40 pm

What questions do you all ask at the end of the interview? Would love to hear everyone's input.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:28 am

merlin wrote:What questions do you all ask at the end of the interview? Would love to hear everyone's input.
I'm the AP that's done Manhattan 3rd, Miami 3rd, Queens2;

The only regular question I ask is "When I should expect to hear the results for the next round?" Other than that, unless I have a legitimate question, I don't force myself to ask one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Had second tound at Queens. It was about an hour and a half. Part was small talk and the normal interview prosecution questions, the other part was a daunting hypo that was reformulated multiple times.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Anyone have any info about what's going on with Brooklyn's application process? Just noticed that they posted the following on their website. I'm guessing that they're holding off reviewing apps until DA Thompson assumes office in January.
**ALERT**
Until further notice, we are not accepting applications for employment or internships for the Class of 2015. All applicants that have previously submitted application packets for this class should check the website for updated information after January 15, 2014. At this time, your applications will not be reviewed. Please do not call to inquire as the website will reflect the updated information come January 2014.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any info about what's going on with Brooklyn's application process? Just noticed that they posted the following on their website. I'm guessing that they're holding off reviewing apps until DA Thompson assumes office in January.
**ALERT**
Until further notice, we are not accepting applications for employment or internships for the Class of 2015. All applicants that have previously submitted application packets for this class should check the website for updated information after January 15, 2014. At this time, your applications will not be reviewed. Please do not call to inquire as the website will reflect the updated information come January 2014.
Wow, that sucks. Hopefully they'll have a class of 2015.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”