District Attorneys' Offices 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorneys' Offices 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there general score cutoffs in terms of applications that most DA offices follow? I received an email with my score, and was told I will be contacted separately if chosen to interview. Just wondering what my score means. I don't have much experience with this type of application process.

I have heard that they have a point system to rank people's applications. They have to have some arbitrary way to separate the 1500 plus applications they receive...I think they give points for any number of things including court experience, internships with DA offices, letters of rec, GPA, school, school activities, volunteer or community work and pro bono, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are there general score cutoffs in terms of applications that most DA offices follow? I received an email with my score, and was told I will be contacted separately if chosen to interview. Just wondering what my score means. I don't have much experience with this type of application process.

I have heard that they have a point system to rank people's applications. They have to have some arbitrary way to separate the 1500 plus applications they receive...I think they give points for any number of things including court experience, internships with DA offices, letters of rec, GPA, school, school activities, volunteer or community work and pro bono, etc.
Who is "they?" All DA's offices, or ones in particular you know of?

And how do we know this? I guess I'm kind of surprised that this is how they do things - this is the first I've heard / read about a point system in place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Does anyone know what to expect at Manhattan's third round? I've been told the panel just "digs deeper into your background," but I've also heard it's a more adversarial version of the second round. Anyone have ideas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Does anyone have any news on open DA positions in California? I've applied all over the state. Besides San Diego (I'm on the Eligible List), everyone else is "Application Received"…

For the guy/gal who's looking for info on the Employment List, I believe this is the standard procedure for most DA offices.

"Once a recruitment is opened for either a specific timeframe, or, as a "series", in which case it remains open for an undetermined time, recruitment announcements are posted. Applications are received and evaluated, applicants are notified of status, and an eligible list is created. When a department has a vacancy, the list of top ranking applicants is provided to the requesting department. The hiring department will determine those candidates who are most qualified for its particular vacancy through any combination of the following: application review, interviews, performance test, reference check, background investigation, or other job-related assessment process."

http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/hr/faqs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any news on open DA positions in California? I've applied all over the state. Besides San Diego (I'm on the Eligible List), everyone else is "Application Received"…

For the guy/gal who's looking for info on the Employment List, I believe this is the standard procedure for most DA offices.

"Once a recruitment is opened for either a specific timeframe, or, as a "series", in which case it remains open for an undetermined time, recruitment announcements are posted. Applications are received and evaluated, applicants are notified of status, and an eligible list is created. When a department has a vacancy, the list of top ranking applicants is provided to the requesting department. The hiring department will determine those candidates who are most qualified for its particular vacancy through any combination of the following: application review, interviews, performance test, reference check, background investigation, or other job-related assessment process."

are you licensed? I blanketed most DA offices in California for post-bar stuff but havent heard back from anyone besides a few saying they dont do that and to apply for an entry level job after the bar.

Also, for that one dood asking about points, are you talking about Clark County DA? i got an email from them giving me my score too recently. pretty weird.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any news on open DA positions in California? I've applied all over the state. Besides San Diego (I'm on the Eligible List), everyone else is "Application Received"…

are you licensed? I blanketed most DA offices in California for post-bar stuff but havent heard back from anyone besides a few saying they dont do that and to apply for an entry level job after the bar.

Also, for that one dood asking about points, are you talking about Clark County DA? i got an email from them giving me my score too recently. pretty weird.
I am licensed (June 2013). I have about 4 counties "reviewing my application". Im hoping to move forward before the new wave of attorneys come in this month...I was hoping someone had some info on their status.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:55 pm

dinged from the Bronx via snail mail yesterday. I had a first round in late September.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah I was asking about Clark County. Trying to figure out if I haven't gotten a follow-up email regarding an interview if that means I'm not getting one. Or if the score email was just letting me know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:47 am

For all applying to Brooklyn, the election was just called for Thompson.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:For all applying to Brooklyn, the election was just called for Thompson.
I wonder what this means for hiring...

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:58 am

Yikes. Pretty sure the new DA comes in and fires the whole incoming class and the newbs who have been there but are on the fence. Praying for u DA bros.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:12 am

Bronx Bum wrote:Yikes. Pretty sure the new DA comes in and fires the whole incoming class and the newbs who have been there but are on the fence. Praying for u DA bros.
Hie to DLA!

But in all seriousness, I heard from a 2015 KCDA member that their jobs are safe. But again, not sure about c/o 2016.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Yikes. Pretty sure the new DA comes in and fires the whole incoming class and the newbs who have been there but are on the fence. Praying for u DA bros.
A similar thing happened in an adjacent county where I live. Upper level got fired or moved but post bars and baby DAs kept their jobs. I think they have more compassion than that because lower levels aren't yet in the political game and they know you guys are just doing what you can to get a jerb.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:53 pm

adonai wrote:
A similar thing happened in an adjacent county where I live. Upper level got fired or moved but post bars and baby DAs kept their jobs. I think they have more compassion than that because lower levels aren't yet in the political game and they know you guys are just doing what you can to get a jerb.
TCR. If I was selected to the BK DA for the next class, I would be shitting a brick right now. A week ago I was ready to /self for turning it down because of loan forgiveness. Now I feel blessed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Recently received a call from Cook County...anyone have any information on the process for their ASA hiring??? Any info would help...thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:07 pm

has anyone had a third round in philly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone had a third round in philly?
I believe Philly only has 2 rounds.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sprewell

New

Post by sprewell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
i could be mistaken but i thought third round there is a one on one w/the DA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:26 pm

sprewell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
i could be mistaken but i thought third round there is a one on one w/the DA
Philly definitely only has 2 rounds, according to both the site and the panel interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
adonai wrote:
TCR. If I was selected to the BK DA for the next class, I would be shitting a brick right now. A week ago I was ready to /self for turning it down because of loan forgiveness. Now I feel blessed.
Anyone here actually selected to be part of the Brooklyn ada class starting in January 2014?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:
adonai wrote:
Anyone here actually selected to be part of the Brooklyn ada class starting in January 2014?
I was selected. We received an e-mail from HR the day after the bar exam results were posted. The e-mail asked us to forward our results to the office and noted that we would receive more information in "mid-November." Not sure what to expect, but I am fighting for this job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Spoliation

New

Post by Spoliation » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Also selected. Would you feel comfortable sending me a PM? I would really like to chat about this situation off the board.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recently received a call from Cook County...anyone have any information on the process for their ASA hiring??? Any info would help...thanks
You made it through to round 2? I know round three is not until February/March and they let people know in May. What questions do you have?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Recently received a call from Cook County...anyone have any information on the process for their ASA hiring??? Any info would help...thanks
You made it through to round 2? I know round three is not until February/March and they let people know in May. What questions do you have?
No man. I am from out of town and recieved a call for a first round. They said they were conducting interviews on two specific days. Is there a total of 3 rounds?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No man. I am from out of town and recieved a call for a first round. They said they were conducting interviews on two specific days. Is there a total of 3 rounds?
ah, I see. Yea, there are three total rounds.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”