For OCI, is CCN comparable to HYS?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KaNa1986

For OCI, is CCN comparable to HYS?

Postby KaNa1986 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:51 pm

I heard a V15 office that had a little over 80 2L SA's gave over 70 offers to HLS students alone, is it true?

User was outed for anon abuse.

dr123

Re: For OCI, is CCN comparable to HYS?

Postby dr123 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Pearson Hardman, I'm guessing? I heard they only hire from HLS.

law2015

Postby law2015 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:00 pm

No that is not true. HYS might have an advantage but not like that. Also, YS have small classes so the actual number of people who get SA positions from those schools doesn't even come close to CLS and NYU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:03 pm

For big firm hiring, the difference really isn't all that great. Myself and a bunch of my friends transferred from our T25, some of us to CCN, and a few to Harvard. We all ended up at comparable firms, and its not like the Harvard kids ended up with better offers than the CCN group. When describing the benefits of HYS over CCN, its usually not with regard to big firm hiring.

KaNa1986

Postby KaNa1986 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:10 pm

I didn't think there was a difference. Thanks for confirming.

skers

Postby skers » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For big firm hiring, the difference really isn't all that great. Myself and a bunch of my friends transferred from our T25, some of us to CCN, and a few to Harvard. We all ended up at comparable firms, and its not like the Harvard kids ended up with better offers than the CCN group. When describing the benefits of HYS over CCN, its usually not with regard to big firm hiring.

This is a pretty shitty example since you and your friends would be judged based on transfer school and not new school.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:24 pm

The impression I've gotten from TLS is that YS are clearly better but H might be a little more comparable to CCN.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:32 pm

dr123 wrote:Pearson Hardman, I'm guessing? I heard they only hire from HLS.

I have heard that the NY partners are not too happy with the recent merger and there are a few questions as to their stability... does anyone know more about this?

KaNa1986

Postby KaNa1986 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:35 pm

An actual V15 litigation powerhouse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:41 pm

The most significant difference is between students in the bottom halves.

TLS wisdom holds that the situation is much better for the bottom half at YS. Given the smaller class sizes and the lesser interest in big law at YS, the bottom half at those two schools will have a lot more chances.

For anecdotal evidence: I just got my FIP (i.e., OCI) schedule at Yale. I bid on 13 of the V15, and got 11 of those bids. There are a lot of lower-ranked Vault firms that haven't been able to fill their schedules - especially for offices outside DC/NY.

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:47 pm

Seriously... my girlfriend thought this was a real firm

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:The most significant difference is between students in the bottom halves.

TLS wisdom holds that the situation is much better for the bottom half at YS. Given the smaller class sizes and the lesser interest in big law at YS, the bottom half at those two schools will have a lot more chances.

For anecdotal evidence: I just got my FIP (i.e., OCI) schedule at Yale. I bid on 13 of the V15, and got 11 of those bids. There are a lot of lower-ranked Vault firms that haven't been able to fill their schedules - especially for offices outside DC/NY.

But the issue is how many of those firms you actually get offers from. Any jerk at a T10 school with a lottery system can get screeners with 11 out of the V15 firms.

I think the main difference is that there isn't a "bottom" of the class at Yale or Stanford the way there is at every other school. Between the small class size, the prestige, and the non-grades, you're either a star student or you're just an "okay" Yale or Stanford student, which is to say, still pretty damn qualified.

Seems like Harvard gets a broader portion of the class access to a handful of very prestige-conscious firms than CCN do. Like you probably won't get an offer at Covington or Wilmer DC if you're top 1/3 at CCN but might from HLS. Seems like if your goal is just a V100 firm or whatever, then the difference is more marginal. 75-80% of people from CCN who want big firm jobs already get them, there isn't much room to improve.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:27 am

KaNa1986 wrote:I heard a V15 office that had a little over 80 2L SA's gave over 70 offers to HLS students alone, is it true?

User was outed for anon abuse.

This might be true, but it's not as significant as you think it is. 80 2L SA spots is a fuck load more than 80 offers. It's probably 300 offers just to get 80 to accept.

In 2006, Paul Weiss gave Columbia students 79 Callbacks (of which only 56 were accepted by the student), which resulted in 48 offers. And only 10 ended up going to Paul Weiss.

Debevoise & Plimpton LLP 41 offers for 15 acceptances

I'm sure today the same thing happens. The v50's are giving a bunch of offers to people headed to V10's.

The top 25% at HLS who get 10 offers, well they gotta turn 9 down.

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Is there no change of parlaying them into two half-summers?

Postby 2014 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:03 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

This isn't really a thing in NYC, mostly only in southern markets/Texas. In any event it isn't particularly smart to do even if you could arrange it since these firms are geared toward 8-12 week summers rather than 4-6 week ones, and so if they are looking for a reason to no-offer someone, there's probably a good chance it will be the kid who wasn't there long enough to make an impression.

Also it's Pearson Darby not Pearson Hardman, watch the show bros

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:23 am

2014 wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

This isn't really a thing in NYC, mostly only in southern markets/Texas. In any event it isn't particularly smart to do even if you could arrange it since these firms are geared toward 8-12 week summers rather than 4-6 week ones, and so if they are looking for a reason to no-offer someone, there's probably a good chance it will be the kid who wasn't there long enough to make an impression.

No spoiler alert?

KD35

Postby KD35 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:48 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
2014 wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

No spoiler alert?

Ah crap forgot its on tonight.

Postby 2014 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:07 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:No spoiler alert?

:oops:

To be fair this is like end of season 2 stuff, I don't feel too bad.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:02 am

PS Cory marries Topanga

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:11 am

2014 wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I've gotta disagree with the bolded. If two firms allow you to split you should. Yea, it increases the chance that either of those firms no-offers you from 1% to what, like 5%? Having two firms with a 95% chance of getting an offer at one of them is better than one firm with a 99% chance at an offer. Your overall shot at getting an offer from a firm would now be 99.75%, instead of the 99% chance if you hadn't split.

(Disclaimer: Those percentages are obviously estimated but putting an actual number in there helps to show my point.)

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:29 am

Greenandgold wrote:
2014 wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I've gotta disagree with the bolded. If two firms allow you to split you should. Yea, it increases the chance that either of those firms no-offers you from 1% to what, like 5%? Having two firms with a 95% chance of getting an offer at one of them is better than one firm with a 99% chance at an offer. Your overall shot at getting an offer from a firm would now be 99.75%, instead of the 99% chance if you hadn't split.

(Disclaimer: Those percentages are obviously estimated but putting an actual number in there helps to show my point.)

splitting your 2L summer (or trying to) other than to preserve a 1L position (i.e., ~4-weeks at the end) is moronic.

Return to “Legal Employment”