Philly OCI 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Philly OCI 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Similar answer to above I guess but from what I hear the Philly transactional associates have a tough time hitting their billable hours req's (at least at the firms I've heard first-hand experiences from). There's simply not as much work to go around because it's so localized. A comparative look at notable client lists will probably tell you everything you need to know about the professional disadvantages you might face. You're probably better off in NYC opportunity-wise (though I agree about the Philly/NYC lifestyle issue). You could always lateral into a smaller market for lifestyle reasons after you're sure that your future is secure and will survive any economic fluctuation.

As an aside: have you considered Delaware??? You could always live in Philly and commute to Wilmington if you get in there, and you'd have some really cool opportunities.

OP here. I'm going to end up going DE for transactional work.

Do you mean DE as a SA or that's your long-term goal?? If SA, congrats!!! That's amazing. If long-term I'd definitely pick a NYC job over a Philly job now since you'll be able to network with DE attorneys pretty frequently. At an OCI for MNAT the interviewer exhaustively spoke about how at his firm you get to interact with lawyers from so many of the other large markets in the country. I remember him specifically mentioning big NY firms and how he enjoys seeing how other firms work. It seemed like a really cool advantage of working in DE. Either way, best of luck and hope your interviewing season is all said and done soon!

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I am going to take a SA at one of the DE big 4. Thanks![/quote]

Could you tell me which one? Waiting to hear about one of the firms, and it's been a while. Emailed them to follow up, and been radio silence. I dread every day going to my mailbox.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Any big law philly news todays?

Still waiting to hear from a few of the firms

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any big law philly news todays?

Still have seen nothing about Duane Morris on here; have they really not given out any offers yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Similar answer to above I guess but from what I hear the Philly transactional associates have a tough time hitting their billable hours req's (at least at the firms I've heard first-hand experiences from). There's simply not as much work to go around because it's so localized. A comparative look at notable client lists will probably tell you everything you need to know about the professional disadvantages you might face. You're probably better off in NYC opportunity-wise (though I agree about the Philly/NYC lifestyle issue). You could always lateral into a smaller market for lifestyle reasons after you're sure that your future is secure and will survive any economic fluctuation.

As an aside: have you considered Delaware??? You could always live in Philly and commute to Wilmington if you get in there, and you'd have some really cool opportunities.

OP here. I'm going to end up going DE for transactional work.

Do you mean DE as a SA or that's your long-term goal?? If SA, congrats!!! That's amazing. If long-term I'd definitely pick a NYC job over a Philly job now since you'll be able to network with DE attorneys pretty frequently. At an OCI for MNAT the interviewer exhaustively spoke about how at his firm you get to interact with lawyers from so many of the other large markets in the country. I remember him specifically mentioning big NY firms and how he enjoys seeing how other firms work. It seemed like a really cool advantage of working in DE. Either way, best of luck and hope your interviewing season is all said and done soon!

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I am going to take a SA at one of the DE big 4. Thanks!

Could you tell me which one? Waiting to hear about one of the firms, and it's been a while. Emailed them to follow up, and been radio silence. I dread every day going to my mailbox.[/quote]

Not sure which yet. Deciding between RLF/MNAT

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Any movement on the Pepper front?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on the Pepper front?

They made offers last week. They are very careful with their yield though so they usually make a few at a time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Any new Blank or Dechert news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any big law philly news todays?

Still have seen nothing about Duane Morris on here; have they really not given out any offers yet?

same anon -- talked to recruiting, turns out there's a ding waiting in my mailbox. callback 8/12, ding sometime last week i guess.

also, for those wondering about cozen, offer today. callback was 9/3. non-Penn t14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:38 am

Let's keep it going:

Dechert, MLB, BR - Any news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let's keep it going:

+1

Anyone hear of any post callback offers or rejections at Blank or Dechert?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

+1

just fyi, cancelling a drinker biddle and dechert callback. hopefully this opens up spots for people somehow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

just fyi, cancelling a drinker biddle and dechert callback. hopefully this opens up spots for people somehow.

Thank you.

Did you get an offer at another PHL firm? Im pending at a few so any info at all rejection or offer is most appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Dechert PHL ding 1 week after CB. Lower T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 am

Any blank news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:44 pm

I know at least one person who got an offer from Duane Morris yesterday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:11 pm

How about news from some of the DE firms? Moris Nichols, Young Conaway?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about news from some of the DE firms? Moris Nichols, Young Conaway?

post cb or screener?

I think YC has done Cb and MNAT has made offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about news from some of the DE firms? Moris Nichols, Young Conaway?

RLF has made offers but also is still doing CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Yeah I've had a CB a YC and I've heard of MNAT offers as well. I've also heard of a Potter Anderson offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah I've had a CB a YC and I've heard of MNAT offers as well. I've also heard of a Potter Anderson offer

When was your YC cb?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah I've had a CB a YC and I've heard of MNAT offers as well. I've also heard of a Potter Anderson offer

When was your YC cb?

Last week

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When was your YC cb?

Last week

I've heard that their hiring committee meets every week on Mondays or Tuesdays but I guess you did not hear from them after their meeting this week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When was your YC cb?

Last week

I've heard that their hiring committee meets every week on Mondays or Tuesdays but I guess you did not hear from them after their meeting this week?

No I haven't. Hopefully that doesn't mean that there is a letter sitting in my mailbox at home. Idk if they actually stick to this, but their website says that decisions come out in the middle of october. I doubt they could afford to wait that long though

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:20 pm

Any recent Pepper movement? Know they have made offers but have heard that they only make a few at a time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any recent Pepper movement? Know they have made offers but have heard that they only make a few at a time.

I'm still waiting on pepper. I had my CB in the middle of august and have had silence since. I did know of some people that have been rejected so I figure no news is good news at this point

Return to “Legal Employment”