Philly OCI 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Philly OCI 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Manko, Gold summer position filled

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dechert CB to offer turnaround?

I heard of Thursday CB - Monday offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dechert CB to offer turnaround?

I heard of Thursday CB - Monday offer.

Thank you. Hoping for this one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any DB or Blank rome offers?

I know someone who got a Blank Rome offer this afternoon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Mind sharing which office it is?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Dechert offer :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well I didn't ask specifically, but being that blank Rome is a Philly firm and this being the Philly oci forum and we go to school in Philly, I would have to assume Philadelphia.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:21 pm

Any news out of Young Conaway or Skadden in Wilmington?

Also, I have heard of Dechert/Ballard offers and rejections from my school but I have gotten neither, what does it all mean???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news out of Young Conaway or Skadden in Wilmington?

Also, I have heard of Dechert/Ballard offers and rejections from my school but I have gotten neither, what does it all mean???

Check your mail, I just got Dechert's snail mail ding today. Fuckers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Top 10% at P. Good Philly ties. Have now officially struck out in Philly. LOL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 10% at P. Good Philly ties. Have now officially struck out in Philly. LOL

How is this possible? Sorry man, I'm sure you won't have trouble though in NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 10% at P. Good Philly ties. Have now officially struck out in Philly. LOL

Because, while high grades and a good school are necessary for obtaining employment, they are not sufficient in today's market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Because, while high grades and a good school are necessary for obtaining employment, they are not sufficient in today's market.

I am really not liking "today's market".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am really not liking "today's market".

I am personally distressed at the number of quality candidates who are not landing where they should land.
It's not you, it's the market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well I didn't ask specifically, but being that blank Rome is a Philly firm and this being the Philly oci forum and we go to school in Philly, I would have to assume

Damn. Do you think they are done?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:33 am

Ballard Spahr offer two weeks ago. Can anybody comment on the Philly transactional legal market/how much of a disadvantage it is professionally to go there if I choose Philly as a "lifestyle" choice over a bigger NY job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Well I didn't ask specifically, but being that blank Rome is a Philly firm and this being the Philly oci forum and we go to school in Philly, I would have to assume

Not the OP, but already received a post callback snail mail ding from BR, so until that comes I wouldn't say you're out of the running. I vaguely remember their hiring partner saying that they make offers in waves and that if you haven't heard either way that likely means they are waiting to see who accepts from their first wave of offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ballard Spahr offer two weeks ago. Can anybody comment on the Philly transactional legal market/how much of a disadvantage it is professionally to go there if I choose Philly as a "lifestyle" choice over a bigger NY job?

+1. Interested in this as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ballard Spahr offer two weeks ago. Can anybody comment on the Philly transactional legal market/how much of a disadvantage it is professionally to go there if I choose Philly as a "lifestyle" choice over a bigger NY job?

A friend that SA'd in Philly a couple years ago told me that it's really really not easy to get transactional work/get into the transactional practices in the market because they are so small and haven't been as busy as the litigation practices (and that was one of the Band 2 Corporate/M&A firms). Caveat that they may have picked up since then, but that's just what I've heard and if you're 100% set on transactional, you're probably better off in NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A friend that SA'd in Philly a couple years ago told me that it's really really not easy to get transactional work/get into the transactional practices in the market because they are so small and haven't been as busy as the litigation practices (and that was one of the Band 2 Corporate/M&A firms). Caveat that they may have picked up since then, but that's just what I've heard and if you're 100% set on transactional, you're probably better off in NYC.

Similar answer to above I guess but from what I hear the Philly transactional associates have a tough time hitting their billable hours req's (at least at the firms I've heard first-hand experiences from). There's simply not as much work to go around because it's so localized. A comparative look at notable client lists will probably tell you everything you need to know about the professional disadvantages you might face. You're probably better off in NYC opportunity-wise (though I agree about the Philly/NYC lifestyle issue). You could always lateral into a smaller market for lifestyle reasons after you're sure that your future is secure and will survive any economic fluctuation.

As an aside: have you considered Delaware??? You could always live in Philly and commute to Wilmington if you get in there, and you'd have some really cool opportunities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Similar answer to above I guess but from what I hear the Philly transactional associates have a tough time hitting their billable hours req's (at least at the firms I've heard first-hand experiences from). There's simply not as much work to go around because it's so localized. A comparative look at notable client lists will probably tell you everything you need to know about the professional disadvantages you might face. You're probably better off in NYC opportunity-wise (though I agree about the Philly/NYC lifestyle issue). You could always lateral into a smaller market for lifestyle reasons after you're sure that your future is secure and will survive any economic fluctuation.

As an aside: have you considered Delaware??? You could always live in Philly and commute to Wilmington if you get in there, and you'd have some really cool opportunities.

OP here. I'm going to end up going DE for transactional work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Not the OP, but already received a post callback snail mail ding from BR, so until that comes I wouldn't say you're out of the running. I vaguely remember their hiring partner saying that they make offers in waves and that if you haven't heard either way that likely means they are waiting to see who accepts from their first wave of offers.

When did you get this ding?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:31 pm

When did you get this ding?

Friday's mail, the letter was postmarked Thursday. Best of luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Similar answer to above I guess but from what I hear the Philly transactional associates have a tough time hitting their billable hours req's (at least at the firms I've heard first-hand experiences from). There's simply not as much work to go around because it's so localized. A comparative look at notable client lists will probably tell you everything you need to know about the professional disadvantages you might face. You're probably better off in NYC opportunity-wise (though I agree about the Philly/NYC lifestyle issue). You could always lateral into a smaller market for lifestyle reasons after you're sure that your future is secure and will survive any economic fluctuation.

OP here. I'm going to end up going DE for transactional work.[/quote]

Do you mean DE as a SA or that's your long-term goal?? If SA, congrats!!! That's amazing. If long-term I'd definitely pick a NYC job over a Philly job now since you'll be able to network with DE attorneys pretty frequently. At an OCI for MNAT the interviewer exhaustively spoke about how at his firm you get to interact with lawyers from so many of the other large markets in the country. I remember him specifically mentioning big NY firms and how he enjoys seeing how other firms work. It seemed like a really cool advantage of working in DE. Either way, best of luck and hope your interviewing season is all said and done soon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Similar answer to above I guess but from what I hear the Philly transactional associates have a tough time hitting their billable hours req's (at least at the firms I've heard first-hand experiences from). There's simply not as much work to go around because it's so localized. A comparative look at notable client lists will probably tell you everything you need to know about the professional disadvantages you might face. You're probably better off in NYC opportunity-wise (though I agree about the Philly/NYC lifestyle issue). You could always lateral into a smaller market for lifestyle reasons after you're sure that your future is secure and will survive any economic fluctuation.

OP here. I'm going to end up going DE for transactional work.

Do you mean DE as a SA or that's your long-term goal?? If SA, congrats!!! That's amazing. If long-term I'd definitely pick a NYC job over a Philly job now since you'll be able to network with DE attorneys pretty frequently. At an OCI for MNAT the interviewer exhaustively spoke about how at his firm you get to interact with lawyers from so many of the other large markets in the country. I remember him specifically mentioning big NY firms and how he enjoys seeing how other firms work. It seemed like a really cool advantage of working in DE. Either way, best of luck and hope your interviewing season is all said and done soon![/quote]

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I am going to take a SA at one of the DE big 4. Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”