Philly OCI 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Philly OCI 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:40 am

So is the general consensus for DE Big 4 vs Philly Vault (Dechert, Morgan Lewis, Drinker, Pepper etc.) just go with fit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:11 am

Anyone know Dechert Philly's CB-> Offer timeframe?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:So is the general consensus for DE Big 4 vs Philly Vault (Dechert, Morgan Lewis, Drinker, Pepper etc.) just go with fit?
Seems to be the collective wisdom.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:32 am

Duane Morris and MLB: callback-to-offer timelines? Or...what days do the hiring committees meet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Duane Morris and MLB: callback-to-offer timelines? Or...what days do the hiring committees meet?
Interviewed at DM mid-August; offer'd 2 weeks ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: DE is local counsel specializing in DE law. That means mainly NYC/Philly/some D.C. firms get advisory opinions from DE firms. These advisory opinions are legal requirements to do deals involving DE entities. Major market firms also have DE firms read/evaluate briefs they write because the DE bar requires DE local counsel to litigate in the Chancery court. If these are your things, and the firm is a fit, go for it. DE also does some bankruptcy work, but at cheaper rates than the NYC bankruptcy shops--usually about 350/hour-ish for partners and 150ish an hour for associates. NYC bankruptcy shops are more in the 1000 an hour range for partners.
None of this is accurate. But especially not the bankruptcy rates. Partners charge 700+ and associates get billed at 300-450+. But I'll concede NY partners are more willing to break that old $1k ceiling these days.
No, all of this is accurate. I should know.

Bankruptcy counsel retainers are court docs and they list the partner and associate comp. Search Lexis Nexis. HTH.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So is the general consensus for DE Big 4 vs Philly Vault (Dechert, Morgan Lewis, Drinker, Pepper etc.) just go with fit?
Seems to be the collective wisdom.
Big 1 vs Philly Vault.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:21 am

Turning down a Cozen offer today; expressly told they had people on hold, so hopefully someone gets a phone call soon!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Turning down a Cozen offer today; expressly told they had people on hold, so hopefully someone gets a phone call soon!
Nice--what'd you take?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It is pretty crazy to call Philly firms "regional." Just bat shit crazy. NBC Universal's merger with Comcast was handled by a Philly firm. Pepper does a lot Glaxo Smith Kline's most important litigation.
While I'm sure Philadelphia firms did a lot of ancillary work on the Comcast/NBC merger, Comcast's primary counsel on the deal was Davis Polk (NBC's was Weil). See: http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdail ... astge.html. Davis Polk is in fact Comcast's go-to outside counsel for big-ticket matters.
DE also does some bankruptcy work, but at cheaper rates than the NYC bankruptcy shops--usually about 350/hour-ish for partners and 150ish an hour for associates. NYC bankruptcy shops are more in the 1000 an hour range for partners.
This is just factually incorrect. E.g. http://www.kccllc.net/afa/document/1211 ... 0000000004. Associates billing $295-$380 and junior partners billing $500+. That's Potter, MNAT and RLF bill slightly higher. See: http://www.exiderestructuringinfo.com/p ... _11482.pdf. 3rd year associate at $370, senior partner at $820.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:35 pm

DE firm recruiters seem to have this thread stickied. Enjoy your "ancillary work" Philly. Look out the window, that big building you see...it's not the Comcast center.

If you Philly guys were smarter, you would have gone to DE to enjoy the objectively better work of being local DE counsel.

God...go away. We're trying to have an OCI thread here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Consensus is that Pepper moves slowly compared to the rest?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Consensus is that Pepper moves slowly compared to the rest?
I had a Pepper CB ~mid August and I'm still waiting. I'm dying to hear back

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news out of Young Conaway or Skadden in Wilmington?

Also, I have heard of Dechert/Ballard offers and rejections from my school but I have gotten neither, what does it all mean???
Did you hear back from Skadden Wilmington? What was your turn around time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Turning down a Cozen offer today; expressly told they had people on hold, so hopefully someone gets a phone call soon!
Nice--what'd you take?
STB new york

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Is it too late to mass mail Philly? I already know how people will answer, but if anyone knows of specific firms that are still bringing people for interviews, that would be very helpful. I'm working on cover letters now so any advice is appreciated.

Stats: T14, grades aren't great, secondary journal, ties are decent but I have a solid reason for wanting Philly this late in the game.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:34 pm

can anyone comment on the culture of Ballard or Pepper

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:56 pm

I interviewed with Pepper and BR and they both indicated they were essentially at the end of their interview process

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:can anyone comment on the culture of Ballard or Pepper
Have a friend who worked at Pepper and said it was horrible and his bosses were really rude. Honestly, I think he may have been overreacting a bit, but he really didn't like it there at all. I don't really know much/anything about Ballard, but they were probably the nicest people (from the Philly firms) that I met during OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with Pepper and BR and they both indicated they were essentially at the end of their interview process

I haven't heard much about Pepper, but I've heard good things from friends who have worked at Ballard. They say that the people are nice and down-to-earth. Ballard has got a great reputation in Philly and former Governor Rendell is of counsel there. That's about all I know.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Ballard also has a very national reputation in real estate. As far as anyone knows, they invented the niche practice of saving underwater real estate ventures. It has helped the firm weather the downturn well. It's a very national practice too--they shot out all across the country and put boots on the ground once they figured out they could provide legal solutions to underwater real estate ventures. Pretty neat, actually.

Philly does a lot of cool things like that--it's a well regarded market. Pretty competitive, however. I've talked to a few associates who landed what I consider to be some pretty prestigious gigs who actually had Philly as their number one choice but got shut out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:can anyone comment on the culture of Ballard or Pepper
Pepper is a very old school Philly firm. A very good place to do litigation for Philly, but you aren't going to get the kind of front page clients you'd get in NYC/DC. Very conservative business model. Not a good option for transactional practices.

Ballard is more of an up and coming place litigation wise. Ballard has more of a young, go-getter culture (for Philly) but nowhere near an NYC level of competitiveness. They have more transactional practices. Also a lot more connected politically these days then Pepper.

dannynoonan87

Bronze

Post by dannynoonan87 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it too late to mass mail Philly? I already know how people will answer, but if anyone knows of specific firms that are still bringing people for interviews, that would be very helpful. I'm working on cover letters now so any advice is appreciated.

Stats: T14, grades aren't great, secondary journal, ties are decent but I have a solid reason for wanting Philly this late in the game.
Try Conrad O'Brien if you want to do litigation, they didn't start taking apps until August 1.

Obermayer and Marshall Dennehey start their hiring process late and would love someone from a T14. But they're not even in the same conversation as most Philly firms discussed here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks @Dannynoonan for the tip. Just applied to the one of those that I missed while looking at philly firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: DE is local counsel specializing in DE law. That means mainly NYC/Philly/some D.C. firms get advisory opinions from DE firms. These advisory opinions are legal requirements to do deals involving DE entities. Major market firms also have DE firms read/evaluate briefs they write because the DE bar requires DE local counsel to litigate in the Chancery court. If these are your things, and the firm is a fit, go for it. DE also does some bankruptcy work, but at cheaper rates than the NYC bankruptcy shops--usually about 350/hour-ish for partners and 150ish an hour for associates. NYC bankruptcy shops are more in the 1000 an hour range for partners.
None of this is accurate. But especially not the bankruptcy rates. Partners charge 700+ and associates get billed at 300-450+. But I'll concede NY partners are more willing to break that old $1k ceiling these days.
No, all of this is accurate. I should know.

Bankruptcy counsel retainers are court docs and they list the partner and associate comp. Search Lexis Nexis. HTH.
This is completely wrong. Please stop spreading false information. The person who posted above is correct. Source: I know a number of people who work at big 4 DE firms. Maybe you were looking at rates for a small firm. Also, DE doesn't do "some" bankruptcy work, it's one of the top jurisdictions for bankruptcy in the country. DE firms do a ton of huge bankruptcy cases.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”