Philly OCI 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Philly OCI 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: DE is local counsel specializing in DE law. That means mainly NYC/Philly/some D.C. firms get advisory opinions from DE firms. These advisory opinions are legal requirements to do deals involving DE entities. Major market firms also have DE firms read/evaluate briefs they write because the DE bar requires DE local counsel to litigate in the Chancery court. If these are your things, and the firm is a fit, go for it. DE also does some bankruptcy work, but at cheaper rates than the NYC bankruptcy shops--usually about 350/hour-ish for partners and 150ish an hour for associates. NYC bankruptcy shops are more in the 1000 an hour range for partners.
None of this is accurate. But especially not the bankruptcy rates. Partners charge 700+ and associates get billed at 300-450+. But I'll concede NY partners are more willing to break that old $1k ceiling these days.
No, all of this is accurate. I should know.

Bankruptcy counsel retainers are court docs and they list the partner and associate comp. Search Lexis Nexis. HTH.
We all know that, which is why it's so baffling that you're insisting on something verifiably false. Not even paralegals at places like RLF and MNAT are billing $150/hr.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Got the ol' YCST ding in the mail yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got the ol' YCST ding in the mail yesterday.
Same, MNAT offer last week though but think I'm going to go with one of the V100 in Philly, tough decision though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Same, MNAT offer last week though but think I'm going to go with one of the V100 in Philly, tough decision though
Mind if i ask which philly offers you're holding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This. On a waitlist for a philly v100.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This. On a waitlist for a philly v100.
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:can anyone comment on the culture of Ballard or Pepper
Have a friend who worked at Pepper and said it was horrible and his bosses were really rude. Honestly, I think he may have been overreacting a bit, but he really didn't like it there at all. I don't really know much/anything about Ballard, but they were probably the nicest people (from the Philly firms) that I met during OCI.
I heard similar things from people who worked there during past summers. Pepper doesn't seem like a good place to be. Ballard is a much better firm culture wise (minimal first hand experience plus hearing a lot from others who summered there). If you're choosing between the two, I'd go with Ballard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have it narrowed down to one so im not "holding" any and ill be accepting it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:06 pm

Can anyone comment on the culture at Dechert? As well as exit options from that firm?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone comment on the culture at Dechert? As well as exit options from that firm?
I unanimously have heard only negative things from practitioners and others about Dechert. But when I went on my callback I got such a good vibe. What is the truth, who knows?

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone comment on the culture at Dechert? As well as exit options from that firm?
I unanimously have heard only negative things from practitioners and others about Dechert. But when I went on my callback I got such a good vibe. What is the truth, who knows?
Always go with your vibe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:18 pm

Anyone hear from Blank lately?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I had a similar experience, and genuinely enjoyed my interview. The things that bothered me despite liking everyone was that one of the partners made a joke about working the associates "too hard" and that almost all of the senior people I interviewed were lateral hires. The junior associate with whom I interviewed with was also the least enthusiastic person by a long shot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I had a similar experience, and genuinely enjoyed my interview. The things that bothered me despite liking everyone was that one of the partners made a joke about working the associates "too hard" and that almost all of the senior people I interviewed were lateral hires. The junior associate with whom I interviewed with was also the least enthusiastic person by a long shot.
I suppose as a contrast, can anyone comment on the culture at Morgan Lewis? As well as exit options?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:05 pm

dannynoonan87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it too late to mass mail Philly? I already know how people will answer, but if anyone knows of specific firms that are still bringing people for interviews, that would be very helpful. I'm working on cover letters now so any advice is appreciated.

Stats: T14, grades aren't great, secondary journal, ties are decent but I have a solid reason for wanting Philly this late in the game.
Try Conrad O'Brien if you want to do litigation, they didn't start taking apps until August 1.

Obermayer and Marshall Dennehey start their hiring process late and would love someone from a T14. But they're not even in the same conversation as most Philly firms discussed here.
Spoke to someone from Obermayer during Penn's OCI. Emailed both the guy I interviewed with and their hiring attorney like 2-3 weeks ago, and still haven't heard anything from them. Should I bother emailing them again? Unless my last CB miraculously gets me an offer (which I doubt because it didn't go well), I'll have struck out, so I guess I don't have anything to lose.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:53 pm

email ding from pepper today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:email ding from pepper today.
Sorry to hear. Mind if I ask when your interview was?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not OP, but interested in exit options from Dechert. Had a great feel during my CB; and I get that, to an extent, big law is big law. Choosing between MLB and Dechert, leaning Dechert.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:14 am

I had my callback with pepper the week of September 13. To be honest, I'm a little relieved. Of all the firms I've interviewed with, they were the only uptight one. They seemed very serious. Their offices seemed dead too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had my callback with pepper the week of September 13. To be honest, I'm a little relieved. Of all the firms I've interviewed with, they were the only uptight one. They seemed very serious. Their offices seemed dead too.
It felt like a hotel to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:t felt like a hotel to me.
I would definitely second you on that!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Pepper offer accepted, offer was around 10 days ago, CB over a month ago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah I've had a CB a YC and I've heard of MNAT offers as well. I've also heard of a Potter Anderson offer
Has anyone heard of any movement on Potter? It's been radio silence since my CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah I've had a CB a YC and I've heard of MNAT offers as well. I've also heard of a Potter Anderson offer
Has anyone heard of any movement on Potter? It's been radio silence since my CB.
two folks at my school are still waiting cb around 2ish weeks ago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:40 pm

How about blank rome? Ive had silence

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”