Mass Mailing Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Mass Mailing Advice

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:55 pm

Because timing is of the essence: I am debating whether to continue mass mailing a smaller # firms per day but include a semi-tailored cover letters (mentioning practice areas they have that I am interested in) or simply mass mail with resume and transcript and add a 'Cover Letter upon request' in the body of the email :?:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Because timing is of the essence: I am debating whether to continue mass mailing a smaller # firms per day but include a semi-tailored cover letters (mentioning practice areas they have that I am interested in) or simply mass mail with resume and transcript and add a 'Cover Letter upon request' in the body of the email :?:

It seems (from what I've heard elsewhere and also law123 (or some name like that) who claims to be (not questioning, but it is the internet) in law firm recruiting on TLS in other recent threads) that the cover letter should be included. I'm going with a smaller number of firms but more tailored. I separated the firms into different sets and so send in that order - that way, I know that the firms I am most interested in or have the best chance (if any) with are reached first.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:23 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:41 pm

hoos89 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Because timing is of the essence: I am debating whether to continue mass mailing a smaller # firms per day but include a semi-tailored cover letters (mentioning practice areas they have that I am interested in) or simply mass mail with resume and transcript and add a 'Cover Letter upon request' in the body of the email :?:

Using resume launchpad and putting the cover letter in the body of the e-mail will let you get such an absurd quantity though. I think it would be a good idea to really work on a few dozen or so cover letters in your top market or that you otherwise are very interested in, and then use resume launchpad for a few hundred more. You have 0 chance at getting a job at a firm you don't e-mail (granted it's probably not that much higher at one you e-mail, but non-zero).

Do people think it is actually worth paying for them to mail out for you, though? I thought people generally recommended using it to find firms, but not paying the company to do the mailing.

I'm also curious if it works better in larger markets, because, for me, it didn't generate many more firms in New England (particularly Boston and Providence, but most New England areas) than I had found elsewhere - and a lot that it generated didn't have any information or are no longer in business.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:47 pm

/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:52 pm

hoos89 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
hoos89 wrote:

Using resume launchpad and putting the cover letter in the body of the e-mail will let you get such an absurd quantity though. I think it would be a good idea to really work on a few dozen or so cover letters in your top market or that you otherwise are very interested in, and then use resume launchpad for a few hundred more. You have 0 chance at getting a job at a firm you don't e-mail (granted it's probably not that much higher at one you e-mail, but non-zero).

Do people think it is actually worth paying for them to mail out for you, though? I thought people generally recommended using it to find firms, but not paying the company to do the mailing.

I'm also curious if it works better in larger markets, because, for me, it didn't generate many more firms in New England (particularly Boston and Providence, but most New England areas) than I had found elsewhere - and a lot that it generated didn't have any information or are no longer in business.

I guess it depends how you value your time and how quickly you can do it yourself. I thought it was worth it.

That's fair. Thanks for replying!

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:08 pm

/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mass mail help needed. I've already sent out ~300 resumes to every NALP and NLJ350 firm in every market I have ties (1 major market, 1 secondary, and 1 tertiary), plus NYC. I've also resume dropped with every firm through my school's Symplicity that I could conceivably see myself working at, regardless of ties. Rejects and radio silence only. After OCI results came out, I followed up with firms that I bid on but didn't get interviews. OCI's not over yet, but I'm worried about striking out.

What do I do? Where else should I mail?

Bumpity Bump on this. Any advice?

Cornhuskers3

Postby Cornhuskers3 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mass mail help needed. I've already sent out ~300 resumes to every NALP and NLJ350 firm in every market I have ties (1 major market, 1 secondary, and 1 tertiary), plus NYC. I've also resume dropped with every firm through my school's Symplicity that I could conceivably see myself working at, regardless of ties. Rejects and radio silence only. After OCI results came out, I followed up with firms that I bid on but didn't get interviews. OCI's not over yet, but I'm worried about striking out.

What markets? And why NYC specifically? Maybe try some of the other larger markets regardless of ties?

Cornhuskers3

Postby Cornhuskers3 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:02 pm

I've generally used the same cover letter except I tailor it in a minor way to the firm....point out specific practice areas, mention recent cases that people have worked on. I'm a minority (non-URM) so sometimes if they have a diversity speil page on their website, I'll try to weave that into the cover letter or something else that stood out to me. It takes me about 10 minutes of looking up the stuff on their sites.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Cornhuskers3 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What markets? And why NYC specifically? Maybe try some of the other larger markets regardless of ties?

All NALP and NLJ350 firms in NYC, Chicago, SF, SV, and to some extent, LA, OC, and SD. NY because it's the only market where ties matter less?

Cornhuskers3

Postby Cornhuskers3 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cornhuskers3 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

All NALP and NLJ350 firms in NYC, Chicago, SF, SV, and to some extent, LA, OC, and SD. NY because it's the only market where ties matter less?

Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking why NYC and not as many other major markets but you have those covered it seems.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:23 am

One of the firms I mass-mailed responded to me and the HR lady asked which office I am interested in. To be perfectly frank, I'll go wherever they want. I don't want to sound desperate, but I don't want to single out an office and have her tell me that, unfortunately, that office has already filled its summer class. Is there a way to respond that conveys the fact that I'm interested in any office and will go wherever but doesn't reek of desperation?

BostonLove

Postby BostonLove » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One of the firms I mass-mailed responded to me and the HR lady asked which office I am interested in. To be perfectly frank, I'll go wherever they want. I don't want to sound desperate, but I don't want to single out an office and have her tell me that, unfortunately, that office has already filled its summer class. Is there a way to respond that conveys the fact that I'm interested in any office and will go wherever but doesn't reek of desperation?

I would say that you are most interested in x or y offices due to _, but you are very interested in the firm's work and willing to move to work there since you are more interested in the substance of the work/firm than city/think you'd be happy in a number of their locations - something along those lines. Others may have better advice, though.

Cornhuskers3

Postby Cornhuskers3 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:41 am

What are thoughts on sending follow up emails to firms that have not responded? I received a couple of "we're not hiring" emails and a few letters saying "thanks for the interest, due to our small size, we don't really look until after the New Year, apply again later".

Is there a good thing to say? Or is it a bad idea and should I take radio silence as they don't care/aren't hiring. I'm having trouble coming up with something myself and I don't want to just use a template I found online that would generic as hell.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:31 am

/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Cornhuskers3 wrote:What are thoughts on sending follow up emails to firms that have not responded? I received a couple of "we're not hiring" emails and a few letters saying "thanks for the interest, due to our small size, we don't really look until after the New Year, apply again later".

Is there a good thing to say? Or is it a bad idea and should I take radio silence as they don't care/aren't hiring. I'm having trouble coming up with something myself and I don't want to just use a template I found online that would generic as hell.

Wondering this too. I can't think of much to say other than "I'm still interested / where are you in the process?" Especially since I don't really have anything to update recruiters with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 am

hoos89 wrote:
Cornhuskers3 wrote:What are thoughts on sending follow up emails to firms that have not responded? I received a couple of "we're not hiring" emails and a few letters saying "thanks for the interest, due to our small size, we don't really look until after the New Year, apply again later".

Some firms have not even begun to look at write-in applications yet. The fact that they have not gotten back to you is not indicative of anything. You need to find a way to get yourself out of the gigantic stack of write-ins and into the small stack of possible candidates. Personally, I think that writing alums is the best way to do that.

So what would you put in an email to an alum in this situation? I've usually been emailing the recruiting coordinator saying I'm still interested in your firm etc etc. Not really sure how to address an email to an alum who hasn't been involved in the recruiting process or anything and who I didn't email my cover letter to the first time around.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:46 am

Quick question: Should we be mass mailing even before OCI starts?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question: Should we be mass mailing even before OCI starts?

Yes absolutely. Early July is a good time to start.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:03 pm

Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”