Mass Mailing Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cornhuskers3

New

Mass Mailing Advice

Post by Cornhuskers3 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:28 pm

In terms of mass mailing, what is the best approach in your introductory email?

Some firm websites say. "send your cover letter, resume, transcript, etc." while others usually only have a contact person. Is it a better idea to send an email inquiring about what documentation they need or if they even are looking to hire or just send along some documentation (CL, resume, writing sample, transcript) from the first email?

I've done a few the first way I described but I am wondering if this was the best approach.

Scoot Scoot

New

Re: Mass Mailing Advice

Post by Scoot Scoot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:32 pm

Cornhuskers3 wrote:In terms of mass mailing, what is the best approach in your introductory email?

Some firm websites say. "send your cover letter, resume, transcript, etc." while others usually only have a contact person. Is it a better idea to send an email inquiring about what documentation they need or if they even are looking to hire or just send along some documentation (CL, resume, writing sample, transcript) from the first email?

I've done a few the first way I described but I am wondering if this was the best approach.
I send everything rather than just inquiring. I don't know if it's best, but I think of it in terms of time. If they aren't looking for anyone, they will just tell me so or ignore me.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornhuskers3

New

Post by Cornhuskers3 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Jsa725 wrote:pro-tip: send one PDF containing all of your documents (CL, resume, transcript, writing sample). don't send MS Word docx.
Thanks. I usually send PDFs. What is the best way to combine PDFs? I have all that stuff in separate PDFs.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:56 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Scoot Scoot

New

Post by Scoot Scoot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Cornhuskers3 wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:pro-tip: send one PDF containing all of your documents (CL, resume, transcript, writing sample). don't send MS Word docx.
Thanks. I usually send PDFs. What is the best way to combine PDFs? I have all that stuff in separate PDFs.
either make one word docx and convert to PDF or find a free PDF merger program on-line.
Thanks for the tip!

Cornhuskers3

New

Post by Cornhuskers3 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:35 pm

For combining PDFs easily, the Automator app on Macs is awesome.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:08 pm

I realize I am only one data point but don't sweat the putting your résumé, writing sample all into one document, I really don't think they care. But clearly label each document and absolutely make sure it's in a PDF. (more so to ensure a lazy hr person doesn't delete a line) Good luck in the mass mail to all

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cornhuskers3

New

Post by Cornhuskers3 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Had a timeline question I wanted to throw out to the group I'm hoping I can get some help with.

Some firms I've mass mailed have since been added to my school's OCI roster after previously not having been listed. Should I continue to just send out emails to ones not on the roster and if they come, they come? Or should I cool the jets a bit and send out the emails more in say 2 weeks when I anticipate that no one new will really be added?

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:03 pm

I have really been struggling finding firms to mass mail. Outside of NALP / Vault / Chambers, where are you finding firms to mail your docs to?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:12 pm

JG7773 wrote:I have really been struggling finding firms to mass mail. Outside of NALP / Vault / Chambers, where are you finding firms to mail your docs to?
resume launchpad

Cornhuskers3

New

Post by Cornhuskers3 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:12 pm

JG7773 wrote:I have really been struggling finding firms to mass mail. Outside of NALP / Vault / Chambers, where are you finding firms to mail your docs to?
I go to school/want to work in a mid-sized market. Just googled "X market law firm directory" and went from there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cornhuskers3

New

Post by Cornhuskers3 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:15 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
resume launchpad
This looks awesome. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:52 am

Is there a better time in the week to be sending out emails? Meaning end of the week like today vs. a Monday in people's experience or does it not matter at all?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:16 am

Cornhuskers3 wrote:Had a timeline question I wanted to throw out to the group I'm hoping I can get some help with.

Some firms I've mass mailed have since been added to my school's OCI roster after previously not having been listed. Should I continue to just send out emails to ones not on the roster and if they come, they come? Or should I cool the jets a bit and send out the emails more in say 2 weeks when I anticipate that no one new will really be added?
Don't stop mass mailing.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:25 am

Jsa725 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I realize I am only one data point but don't sweat the putting your résumé, writing sample all into one document, I really don't think they care. But clearly label each document and absolutely make sure it's in a PDF. (more so to ensure a lazy hr person doesn't delete a line) Good luck in the mass mail to all
I am not sure everyone cares but for clarification: a V30 Legal Recruiter told me to put everything into one PDF document.
Yeah, it's fine to do either. All in one doc isn't really the expectation, but I can certainly see why some recruiters would prefer it. Others don't.

Unrelated, you don't necessarily have to send a writing sample with a massmail. It's the minority of firms that ask for it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cornhuskers3

New

Post by Cornhuskers3 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:49 am

Thanks for the tip IAFG. I've changed it up a bit. I've been writing the cover letter in the email itself, attaching a resume, and basically saying if you want anything else like transcripts or writing samples, I have those available upon request. Not sure if this is the best strategy but I figure it at least will get the person to read it once they open the email.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:29 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornhuskers3

New

Post by Cornhuskers3 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:01 pm

Etiquette if you forgot to include a subject line in an email to the hiring partner? I must have sent out 30 emails today so my brain was kinda fried and I just forgot. Big deal? Send another? Or am I freaking out for nothing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Cornhuskers3 wrote:Etiquette if you forgot to include a subject line in an email to the hiring partner? I must have sent out 30 emails today so my brain was kinda fried and I just forgot. Big deal? Send another? Or am I freaking out for nothing?
No experience with this exact situation, but I would probably not say anything rather than point out my error - or if I noticed quickly, send the same email with a subject line immediately and hope they think it is a technical issue or something. It probably also depends on what the email was about.

For the future, on a lot of email programs, you can set a delay (whatever amount of time you want) between when you press send and it actually sends. This is good in situations like this or where you forget an attachment or such.

Edit: sorry, didn't mean to go anon. I guess I've had a long day as well!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:31 pm

It's really time that TLS compiled lists of firms that tend to hire summers in every market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Mass mail help needed. I've already sent out ~300 resumes to every NALP and NLJ350 firm in every market I have ties (1 major market, 1 secondary, and 1 tertiary), plus NYC. Ive also resume dropped with every firm through my school's Symplicity that I could conceivably see myself working at, regardless of ties. Rejects and radio silence only. After OCI results came out, I followed up with firms that I bid on but didn't get interviews. OCI's not over yet, but I'm worried about striking out.

What do I do? Where else should I mail?

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:10 am

I've had a few mass mail firms request an interview, but they refuse to do phone interviews. I've been told that traveling long distances is a waste of time and money for a screener with a firm that might quickly decide they're not interested. Has anyone else had this problem? Or are these just outliers?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:19 am

punkyg0608 wrote:I've had a few mass mail firms request an interview, but they refuse to do phone interviews. I've been told that traveling long distances is a waste of time and money for a screener with a firm that might quickly decide they're not interested. Has anyone else had this problem? Or are these just outliers?
It's not abnormal. It's not necessarily a waste of money. It can definitely turn into an offer. The question of whether it's worth it to you is what your other options are and how much you can afford to drop to travel to a screener.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”