Vets - how do you know if a screener went well?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Vets - how do you know if a screener went well?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:59 pm

Had some job faire interviews recently, and I can't stop wondering if they went well. I realized a few things I will change going forward, but overall, I am just not sure how I did. I think they went pretty well. Most were probably 50 percent about my resume and 50 percent interests and small talk. In a few, both myself and the interviewer laughed.

bk1

Re: Vets - how do you know if a screener went well?

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:01 pm

You can't know for sure. Act as if you bombed every interview and keep gunning for a job until you have one.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 pm

If you get a callback.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you get a callback.

Fantastic insight, anonymous.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:48 pm

bk1 wrote:You can't know for sure. Act as if you bombed every interview and keep gunning for a job until you have one.

This. I actually had some screeners last year that I thought went really well that resulted in a ding and others that didn't go as well that resulted in a callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 pm

I know people who've been told "you'll be hearing from us tonight" and then getting a ding. It's a complicated/weird process.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:27 pm

Exceptionally hard to tell. I think some of the problem is that the really nice interviewers who you hit it off with are nice to everyone and everyone leaves the interview feeling like they nailed it. I had interviews where the interviewer told me I was a great candidate and I got dinged, and I had interviews where it was awkward and painful as hell and I ended up with a callback.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:44 pm

You can't know. I've had interviews I thought went great result in nothing, and interviews I thought I bombed get to the next stage. (I mean, I've had interviews I thought I bombed result in nothing, too, but that's not especially shocking.) The other thing is that even if your screener goes brilliantly, you never know exactly what the firm is looking for, what qualifications other applicants have, and how well the other applicants interview.

So, yeah, this:
bk1 wrote:Act as if you bombed every interview and keep gunning for a job until you have one.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:39 am

You can never know. Also, people tend to assume that because they made a connection they had a great interview. Not true; your interviewer might be someone who easily connects with other people, who carries great conversations etc, etc...
Sure, you "connected," but so did all the other students.

Return to “Legal Employment”