In House Summer Programs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In House Summer Programs

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:51 pm

I know there has been a conversation about this in previous years, but I was wondering if anyone can talk about their experience with in-house companies that offer full time employment to students straight from law school? Do they typically do callbacks like firms or is it usually interview then offer?

Particularly in Texas--Shell, Exxon, etc...

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: In House Summer Programs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:46 am

I worked in a large in house legal department at a Fortune 100 company this summer as a 1L and it was an awesome experience. This company hires a small number of grads straight out of law school. I initially had a screener interview (Spring OCI), and then a call back at the company headquarters. Offer came the next day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know there has been a conversation about this in previous years, but I was wondering if anyone can talk about their experience with in-house companies that offer full time employment to students straight from law school? Do they typically do callbacks like firms or is it usually interview then offer?

Particularly in Texas--Shell, Exxon, etc...

Thanks!

I cannot speak of Texas particularly, but large corporations typically do not hire fresh law grads to work as in-house attorneys. Most in-house attorneys have lateraled in from firms after 5-10 years. That said, there are rare occasions where the legal department has a need for an entry level attorney and have fallen in love with one of there summer clerks, and that person gets hired.

My comments stem from working in the legal department of a large insurance company (150 in-house attorneys doing everything from finance and investments, employment law, etc.) before and during law school.

If you can get one of these summer positions as a 1L - then you've hit the jack pot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I worked in a large in house legal department at a Fortune 100 company this summer as a 1L and it was an awesome experience. This company hires a small number of grads straight out of law school. I initially had a screener interview (Spring OCI), and then a call back at the company headquarters. Offer came the next day.

UMich11

Postby UMich11 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I worked in a large in house legal department at a Fortune 100 company this summer as a 1L and it was an awesome experience. This company hires a small number of grads straight out of law school. I initially had a screener interview (Spring OCI), and then a call back at the company headquarters. Offer came the next day.

Can you PM me on this? I'd like to get some more info as it's a route i'd like to follow for my 1L summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:25 pm

UMich11 wrote:

Can you PM me on this? I'd like to get some more info as it's a route i'd like to follow for my 1L summer.

PM'ed

Also, I do sometimes feel like I've hit the jackpot as a 1L, considering my company has a small program set up where you progress through two summers at the company (if they like you and you do good work) and then enter the legal department full time on graduation. But my company is admittedly different as we do just about all of our legal work in house and have a transactional legal group of a couple hundred attorneys. The attorneys who haven't come through this program have mostly come from big firms. It is true that most large corporations don't hire straight out of law school, but I can tell you that some definitely do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:32 pm

I had an interview with Procter & Gamble few days ago. Its rare, but its possible. Companies like Microsoft and GE also have summer program, but they are extremely competitive and hard to find.

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:06 pm

I've been searching for a while for more solid information about the Microsoft Legal internship. Does anybody know how the general timeline works for applying for these in-house positions? (I'm interested in Microsoft because of location, but I'd be interested in others as well).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:39 pm

I did a summer internship in-house after my 2L summer, was told there was not a chance of being hired after law school, but someone in the (very small) department left and I was offered a position straight out of LS.

I posted a thread about this a few months back ( http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=204837 ), but I do think there is a slight trend towards companies hiring recent grads rather than the traditional model of hiring after many years of firm experience. Still definitely nowhere near the norm, though.

Return to “Legal Employment”