Mass Mailing Florida

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mailing Florida

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:41 pm

I am curious if anyone else has been having luck mailing Florida from out of state and thought I would start a thread to see how others are doing.

I am not from Florida personally, but have good ties to Florida through family and am interested in practicing there. Top 5% at T1 in Midwest. Mailed NALP and NLJ firms all over state a couple weeks ago, but have yet to hear much of anything. I know these markets are tough to break and I know that T14 kids from Florida and top of class at UF/FSU/UM struggle, but any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Mass Mailing Florida

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm not from out of state, but I've done the same to NALP firms not coming to OCI. Haven't heard anything. Similar rank at UM/UF/FSU.

ZyzzBrah

Postby ZyzzBrah » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Do you have connections with anyone at a FL firm? fwiw, a friend of mine got florida's equivalent of biglaw solely through connections (no lr, might be median or less)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Above median at T14, from Florida and went to UF for two degrees. Mass mailed around 30 firms and haven't heard a peep from any of them (yet)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:59 pm

OP here, no law connections in FL and my school has very little (almost no) alumni network there to speak of. Working what I can, but mostly just shooting resumes and cover letters out. I know this is uphill battle, more just curious how other people are doing and whom they are hearing from with their mass mailing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:50 pm

ZyzzBrah wrote:Do you have connections with anyone at a FL firm? fwiw, a friend of mine got florida's equivalent of biglaw solely through connections (no lr, might be median or less)

Did you buddy go to a t14 or UF/FSU/UM?, or some other school?

goaheadualright

Postby goaheadualright » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:28 pm

have not been rejected or interviewed from any FL firms- applied 6/30

ZyzzBrah

Postby ZyzzBrah » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Did you buddy go to a t14 or UF/FSU/UM?, or some other school?

school well outside the t14 (around 40), he just knew someone. But dont take my anecdote for the norm, i dont know about other summers in florida firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Last year I applied across the state on about 7/24, and landed a few interviews by 8/8. Didn't really hear anything after that. If timelines are similar this year, if you don't hear this week, I wouldn't expect much.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Last year I applied across the state on about 7/24, and landed a few interviews by 8/8. Didn't really hear anything after that. If timelines are similar this year, if you don't hear this week, I wouldn't expect much.

I had finished CBs with about four firms by the end of July last year and never heard from any of the other firms after that. One firm told me they put mass mail interviews on hold at the end of July/beginning of August to focus on OCI in August. They also said it was common to not receive an offer until after they had seen who was interested via OCI, but I never got an offer anyway so am unsure on exact timing for offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:05 am

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Last year I applied across the state on about 7/24, and landed a few interviews by 8/8. Didn't really hear anything after that. If timelines are similar this year, if you don't hear this week, I wouldn't expect much.

I had finished CBs with about four firms by the end of July last year and never heard from any of the other firms after that. One firm told me they put mass mail interviews on hold at the end of July/beginning of August to focus on OCI in August. They also said it was common to not receive an offer until after they had seen who was interested via OCI, but I never got an offer anyway so am unsure on exact timing for offers.

This sounds about right to me. Worked in Miami biglaw this summer and will be returning after graduation. I had a nearly identical experience. Received offer right after FL schools' OCIs ended.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:30 am

Have heard nothing from anywhere I applied to in Miami or south Florida. Have gotten a couple positive responses from Orlando. Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:34 am

Same anon as above, sorry. Should clarify my ties - tenuous as they are - are to south Florida, nothing to Orlando.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:19 pm

US Mail ding from Boies Miami from mass mail

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:13 pm

I'm at UF and last year I mass mailed firms that weren't coming to OCI. I focused solely on Biglaw and did a sort of "warm" send. I would contact those I knew at the bigger firms and they passed me through the pipeline. I ultimately went with an OCI firm, but I did have a lot of success with mailers. FWIW, I am from Florida and I have a family of lawyers. I'm also top 5% and LR.

Return to “Legal Employment”