DOJ Honors 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well hold on a minute..have anyone's references been contacted for EOIR? My sense from this thread is that no one's had been contacted. I thought it was a good sign that we were all in the same boat. EOIR could be asking for an extension on choosing finalists or not even contacting references. Thoughts?


I think you're right - at least looking through last year's thread. Although last year apparently people that had interned at the EOIR had those specific EOIR supervisors contacted. So - take that as you will.

What I'm looking for here is someone to say hey I was an EOIR intern and my supervisor was NOT contacted. Then, I'd think they are not contacting references. But, the other DOJ offices seem to be contacting references before offers. But, they don't have 70 plus spots to fill.

Has anyone had a reference checked for an EOIR position this year?

I just said that a couple posts up. I have not asked my supervisor, but she e-mailed me last week just to chat and did not mention anything. I am sure she would e-mail me if she had been contacted about me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Day is almost over. Guess us EOIR folks won't hear today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Who wants to take odds on EOIR trying to get an extension past tomorrow?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any folks hear from ENRD? Anyone here apply to ENRD?!

And congrats to everyone who've received an offer!


I interviewed with the ENRD - haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well hold on a minute..have anyone's references been contacted for EOIR? My sense from this thread is that no one's had been contacted. I thought it was a good sign that we were all in the same boat. EOIR could be asking for an extension on choosing finalists or not even contacting references. Thoughts?


I think you're right - at least looking through last year's thread. Although last year apparently people that had interned at the EOIR had those specific EOIR supervisors contacted. So - take that as you will.

What I'm looking for here is someone to say hey I was an EOIR intern and my supervisor was NOT contacted. Then, I'd think they are not contacting references. But, the other DOJ offices seem to be contacting references before offers. But, they don't have 70 plus spots to fill.

Has anyone had a reference checked for an EOIR position this year?

I just said that a couple posts up. I have not asked my supervisor, but she e-mailed me last week just to chat and did not mention anything. I am sure she would e-mail me if she had been contacted about me.


I was not an EOIR intern, but my references haven't been contacted, to the best of my knowledge, which is really just so annoying because I NEED TO KNOWWWW

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any folks hear from ENRD? Anyone here apply to ENRD?!

And congrats to everyone who've received an offer!


I interviewed with the ENRD - haven't heard anything yet.


Cool, that information irrationally makes me feel a tad better. I guess we'll know by this time tomorrow, in theory at least. I wonder if today's budget negotiations could serve to increase the number of 2014 honors spots....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:42 am

wow - its going to happen - they're going to notify EOIR's today

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:wow - its going to happen - they're going to notify EOIR's today


Sorry if this is a dumb questions, but I just want to clarify what all this means before the rush. If your status does not change to finalist, then you're done. But even if it does change, you could still be an alternate? So basically don't start celebrating until you actually get the phone call with the offer?

This isn't EOIR specific I suppose, but I do know OCIJ alternates who didn't get a formal offer until summer...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:wow - its going to happen - they're going to notify EOIR's today

Confirmed, my status was changed to finalist this morning.

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb questions, but I just want to clarify what all this means before the rush. If your status does not change to finalist, then you're done. But even if it does change, you could still be an alternate? So basically don't start celebrating until you actually get the phone call with the offer?

This isn't EOIR specific I suppose, but I do know OCIJ alternates who didn't get a formal offer until summer...

That's my understanding, I hope I get a call...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:wow - its going to happen - they're going to notify EOIR's today


Sorry if this is a dumb questions, but I just want to clarify what all this means before the rush. If your status does not change to finalist, then you're done. But even if it does change, you could still be an alternate? So basically don't start celebrating until you actually get the phone call with the offer?

This isn't EOIR specific I suppose, but I do know OCIJ alternates who didn't get a formal offer until summer...


I think you got it right. My status just changed to finalist - but now I don't know if I am an alternate or not. Deanna promised an email in her posting - I guess I'll wait for that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:07 am

I can also confirm. Status change to finalist this morning. Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:17 am

Has anyone who already accepted a verbal offer also received a follow-up email or any other form of written confirmation? I'm just curious--it feels amazing to have accepted the verbal offer, but the lawyer in me wants something written, you know?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:25 am

Status also changed this morning. When do people think offers will go out so we can determine whether or not we are alternates?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who already accepted a verbal offer also received a follow-up email or any other form of written confirmation? I'm just curious--it feels amazing to have accepted the verbal offer, but the lawyer in me wants something written, you know?


looks like Deanna posted an answer to this question.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who already accepted a verbal offer also received a follow-up email or any other form of written confirmation? I'm just curious--it feels amazing to have accepted the verbal offer, but the lawyer in me wants something written, you know?


I accepted a verbal offer less than a week ago, but nothing written yet. I know how you feel.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Status also changed this morning. When do people think offers will go out so we can determine whether or not we are alternates?


According to avue forum, the calls could go on for the next few days.

Now every time my phone buzzes...it's going to be a mini heart attack.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Status also changed this morning. When do people think offers will go out so we can determine whether or not we are alternates?


According to avue forum, the calls could go on for the next few days.

Now every time my phone buzzes...it's going to be a mini heart attack.


I thought I'd ask, in case its not obvious, but, if anyone actually gets an offer from EOIR, will you post it on the board? Right now it doesn't sound like anyone has gotten an offer (verbal or written).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:10 pm

My status changed to finalist this morning too! I am the person who worked for EOIR and to my knowledge never had their refs checked. Is there any way they just aren't doing it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My status changed to finalist this morning too! I am the person who worked for EOIR and to my knowledge never had their refs checked. Is there any way they just aren't doing it?


I'm glad you brought this up. The terribly paranoid part of me wonders if they didn't contact references and are just naming everyone finalists and then taking their time to decide who they'll actually give offers to.

I obviously will of course let everyone here know if I get an offer. Would OCIJ people like to use pseudonyms/numbers or something so we can kind of keep track of each other in some way?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My status changed to finalist this morning too! I am the person who worked for EOIR and to my knowledge never had their refs checked. Is there any way they just aren't doing it?


I'm glad you brought this up. The terribly paranoid part of me wonders if they didn't contact references and are just naming everyone finalists and then taking their time to decide who they'll actually give offers to.

I obviously will of course let everyone here know if I get an offer. Would OCIJ people like to use pseudonyms/numbers or something so we can kind of keep track of each other in some way?

Good idea: I've started a new thread for this purpose: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=221177

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My status changed to finalist this morning too! I am the person who worked for EOIR and to my knowledge never had their refs checked. Is there any way they just aren't doing it?


I'm glad you brought this up. The terribly paranoid part of me wonders if they didn't contact references and are just naming everyone finalists and then taking their time to decide who they'll actually give offers to.

I obviously will of course let everyone here know if I get an offer. Would OCIJ people like to use pseudonyms/numbers or something so we can kind of keep track of each other in some way?


hey - at first I thought that there's no way they would have done that. Then I realized that no one on this rather active board has mentioned not being selected as finalist for the EOIR. Now, I am curious - has anyone not been changed to finalist for EOIR?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My status changed to finalist this morning too! I am the person who worked for EOIR and to my knowledge never had their refs checked. Is there any way they just aren't doing it?


I'm glad you brought this up. The terribly paranoid part of me wonders if they didn't contact references and are just naming everyone finalists and then taking their time to decide who they'll actually give offers to.

I obviously will of course let everyone here know if I get an offer. Would OCIJ people like to use pseudonyms/numbers or something so we can kind of keep track of each other in some way?


hey - at first I thought that there's no way they would have done that. Then I realized that no one on this rather active board has mentioned not being selected as finalist for the EOIR. Now, I am curious - has anyone not been changed to finalist for EOIR?


Right??

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:12 pm

I doubt they just made every single person a finalist. Deana specifically said they posted first and second round choices and that's it, and they will be adding more later today.

eoir2014
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby eoir2014 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who already accepted a verbal offer also received a follow-up email or any other form of written confirmation? I'm just curious--it feels amazing to have accepted the verbal offer, but the lawyer in me wants something written, you know?


I accepted a verbal offer less than a week ago, but nothing written yet. I know how you feel.



When I emailed my acceptance email, I kindly asked to get a response confirming my acceptance, and EOIR sent me such an email. If you don't do this, I highly doubt you'll otherwise receive an acknowledgment of your acceptance.

Also, on Avue Central, by the Application Status page, it shows under Status, "Offer Accepted." (Note, though, that I received a funnel offer, so some thing else may show for non-funnels.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Last year I got an offer right after Thanksgiving, and an offer letter sometime in December. Don't worry, you'll get more info.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.