DOJ Honors 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A very small office, so not one of the major ones

Ah okay - thanks, and congrats!!


Thanks!! Definitely don't get discouraged yet- it sounds like it's still early in the process.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just got an offer from DOJ (not SLIP) and my status is now "finalist." They give people a few weeks to accept before going to their next choice, though, so more offers may come in late December/early January! Good luck to you all.


Let's be honest: does anyone actually turn down DOJ?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:A very small office, so not one of the major ones


There's only one "major" office - EOIR with 77 (and really OCIJ w/70). Everyone else takes at most 6 candidates (Criminal, and really 5 trial attorneys + 1 asset forfeiture). In fact, the rest add up to 28 spots.

My guess is Nat'l Security Division. After all, Deana Willis said, "As components identify finalists, I'll post online status changes and Community board updates." She then posted a community board update that Nat'l Security had finalists posted (meaning a status change). The individual with the offer says his status is now "finalist." That means his status was changed - I would be surprised if his status was changed, but that change wasn't posted to the community board.

Also, if it is Nat'l Security, I would understand if the person doesn't want to say that particular division - it's pretty sensitive. Still, he or she probably has worried everyone who is waiting to hear from anyone other than OCIJ.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:42 am

look at that - Anti-trust just posted finalists ... according to Deana

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:look at that - Anti-trust just posted finalists ... according to Deana


As well as OPCL and DEA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:05 am

Where are you following Deana?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Where are you following Deana?



Avue Central Community - just studying for finals and hitting refresh every so often. I know - I'm kind of lame.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:look at that - Anti-trust just posted finalists ... according to Deana


As well as OPCL and DEA.


And Civil Division Commercial Litigation Branch... seems to be moving along now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A very small office, so not one of the major ones


Congratulations!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:58 pm

this wait is terrible... especially considering the OCIJ folks might not even know by the 11th. Good luck to all of you! Does anyone think there's a good chance we WILL hear by then?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:06 pm

If you are a finalist, how do you get notified? Status change on Avue? Email?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:this wait is terrible... especially considering the OCIJ folks might not even know by the 11th. Good luck to all of you! Does anyone think there's a good chance we WILL hear by then?

my money is on doubtful - the components reporting finalists now had few openings and as a result interviewed far less candidates . . . also, there's the location choices for the OCIJ positions that come into play - but, I think the 11th might be a realistic date.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any ENRD interviewees have their references contacted yet? Any idea what they are asked?

I am applying for a different component, but interviewers apparently asked my references about overall job performance, ability to make ethical decisions, ability to work with others, etc. The questions seemed fairly standard.


Awesome, thanks for the response and the info. Has the component that contacted your references already announced finalists? If so, do you know how long after contacting your references? Thanks again!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:30 pm

For those finalists with offers - did the offer come by phone, email, status checker?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:47 pm

4:45pm EST - thinking about waiting another week makes me sick to my stomach. Here's hoping we get another round of finalists/offers before end of day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:25 pm

The offer came by phone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:42 pm

My status didn't change for one of the posted divisions, so it looks like I'm out. I worked for the division as a SLIP, too. That's life.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:22 pm

I got my offer by phone earlier this afternoon. I accepted right away, which was immediately reflected on my status (so I don't know if it ever changed to "finalist").

I'm still a little speechless—I've been working towards this goal for almost five years (if not a lifetime). I'm humbled by the offer, and hope that I can live up to the privilege.

Best of luck to all of the other candidates!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Congrats! Section?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Congratulations!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got my offer by phone earlier this afternoon. I accepted right away, which was immediately reflected on my status (so I don't know if it ever changed to "finalist").

I'm still a little speechless—I've been working towards this goal for almost five years (if not a lifetime). I'm humbled by the offer, and hope that I can live up to the privilege.

Best of luck to all of the other candidates!

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats! Section?


Thanks! It's a position in Criminal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got my offer by phone earlier this afternoon. I accepted right away, which was immediately reflected on my status (so I don't know if it ever changed to "finalist").

I'm still a little speechless—I've been working towards this goal for almost five years (if not a lifetime). I'm humbled by the offer, and hope that I can live up to the privilege.

Best of luck to all of the other candidates!

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats! Section?


Thanks! It's a position in Criminal.


Is it a trial attorney position or asset forfeiture fellowship? Congrats! And thanks for sharing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got my offer by phone earlier this afternoon. I accepted right away, which was immediately reflected on my status (so I don't know if it ever changed to "finalist").

I'm still a little speechless—I've been working towards this goal for almost five years (if not a lifetime). I'm humbled by the offer, and hope that I can live up to the privilege.

Best of luck to all of the other candidates!

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats! Section?


Thanks! It's a position in Criminal.


Is it a trial attorney position or asset forfeiture fellowship? Congrats! And thanks for sharing.


Asset Forfeiture. And thank you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:39 am

Very thoughtful to share - thanks!!! And Congratulations!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Very thoughtful to share - thanks!!! And Congratulations!


Good luck to everyone in what should be a week of decisions by many components, I would think.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.