DOJ Honors 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's a question for anyone that may have gotten the information out of their interviewer: how many interviews did justice do this year for EOIR? The website says there's 77 openings for the EOIR (http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/en ... pants.html). Last year's thread indicated that there was approximately 3 people interviewed for everyone one spot. I just wanted to see if that was about the same for this year.

If anyone know -

I just interviewed yesterday (thank you shutdown for delaying my notification of even getting an interview, meaning I turned in my travel survey super late), and my interviewer said "over 200 people were interviewed." Who knows if that means 201 people or 299 people-but I know on the DOJ forum, someone said that EOIR could potentially interview 3-6 people per slot. So based on the info from the forum and what I was told yesterday, I would guess somewhere between 200-300 were interviewed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:In past years, the DOJ would change applicants' status to "Finalist" or "Selected as a Finalist." Such individuals were "approved for hire" by the DOJ components. In effect, they made up the pool of people who got offers or were being held as alternates. I have not seen anything this year to suggest that Finalists would be identified this way - perhaps because there are so few open positions outside of EOIR that the components simply make their offers rather than create a pool and then rank the pool for offers - but does anyone know if (and when) this will be occurring? Perhaps, we should ask Deana Willis, but thought I would ask here first.

Also, one of my references got called.

That's me. I interviewed the second week (October 12-15) with two divisions that will each hire only a handful of people (as far as I know), so not that many interviewees. Only one of the two called a reference (so far). Call occurred basically one week after interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:22 pm

I interviewed the first week for EOIR. To my knowledge, none of my references have been contacted. I was told offers would start coming out mid-December, and go through February, so not to despair if I didn't hear anything immediately in December (although if other people start hearing in December and I don't, I'm sure I'll despair anyway).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:01 pm

I interviewed early in the process and my references have been contacted. I was not interviewed, however, by any of the components that have been discussed in the past few posts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Spoke to Recruitment personnel (substantiated by 2 people). Department-wide, there will be no Honors offers made until second week of December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:44 am

From Deana Willis:

1. 99% of the interviews will be finished by today (Nov. 22nd). EOIR has a handful of interviews next week, but everyone else is finished.

2. Components have a December 11th deadline to select finalists. They can do it earlier if they want to, and they can request a later date for good cause. As components identify finalists, I'll post online status changes and Community board updates.

3. A finalist is defined as a candidate under consideration for an offer. That includes first-round offer candidates and alternates. Online status should reflect status as a finalist (or so I hope - that's what I was told anyway).

4. I strongly suspect that first-round offers will go out very soon after a component identifies its finalists. Initial offers are oral. The formal written offer letter is not issued until after the oral offer is accepted. I do not anticipate formal offer letters going out until, at the very earliest, late December. Most likely they will start going out in January.

5. For general information on salary, visit http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/entry-salary.html.

6. DOJ adheres to the NALP guidance regarding time length of time an offer must remain open. For current law students, offers issued before December 15 must remain open for 28 days or until December 31, whichever comes first. Offers issued to current law students after December 15 or to a law school graduate at any time must remain open for two weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From Deana Willis:

1. 99% of the interviews will be finished by today (Nov. 22nd). EOIR has a handful of interviews next week, but everyone else is finished.

2. Components have a December 11th deadline to select finalists. They can do it earlier if they want to, and they can request a later date for good cause. As components identify finalists, I'll post online status changes and Community board updates.

3. A finalist is defined as a candidate under consideration for an offer. That includes first-round offer candidates and alternates. Online status should reflect status as a finalist (or so I hope - that's what I was told anyway).

4. I strongly suspect that first-round offers will go out very soon after a component identifies its finalists. Initial offers are oral. The formal written offer letter is not issued until after the oral offer is accepted. I do not anticipate formal offer letters going out until, at the very earliest, late December. Most likely they will start going out in January.

5. For general information on salary, visit http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/entry-salary.html.

6. DOJ adheres to the NALP guidance regarding time length of time an offer must remain open. For current law students, offers issued before December 15 must remain open for 28 days or until December 31, whichever comes first. Offers issued to current law students after December 15 or to a law school graduate at any time must remain open for two weeks.

I have a question that I hope someone on this board may have some insight about. I generally do not answer calls from blocked numbers or unknown callers. I figure if it's important, they'll leave a message. However, today I got a call from an unknown number and the caller did not leave a message. All of a sudden I found myself wondering if that could be the "oral offer." Anyway - What's everyone's opinion on NOT sending blocked or unknown calls to voicemail the next few weeks? I may have to deal with telemarketers (during finals) on the chance that one call might be the one I've been waiting for.

I guess - if anyone knows whether or not the call will be blocked would be good information. Or maybe, there are certain area codes to look out for i.e. (202) for Washington, D.C.? Just thought I'd throw this question out here and see what people think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Anyone who wants to reach you about a job will leave a message. I got notice of my offer in a voicemail.

eoir2014

Postby eoir2014 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:23 pm

I received a called from a person at EOIR, who left a message to call back. When I returned the call, I was given an offer. So nothing really to worry about missing calls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:31 pm

eoir2014 wrote:I received a called from a person at EOIR, who left a message to call back. When I returned the call, I was given an offer. So nothing really to worry about missing calls.

Was your status changed to finalist?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In past years, the DOJ would change applicants' status to "Finalist" or "Selected as a Finalist." Such individuals were "approved for hire" by the DOJ components. In effect, they made up the pool of people who got offers or were being held as alternates. I have not seen anything this year to suggest that Finalists would be identified this way - perhaps because there are so few open positions outside of EOIR that the components simply make their offers rather than create a pool and then rank the pool for offers - but does anyone know if (and when) this will be occurring? Perhaps, we should ask Deana Willis, but thought I would ask here first.

Also, one of my references got called.

That's me. I interviewed the second week (October 12-15) with two divisions that will each hire only a handful of people (as far as I know), so not that many interviewees. Only one of the two called a reference (so far). Call occurred basically one week after interview.

Updating further, the same division hiring for only a handful of spots has now called my current employer for a reference (where my current employer was not listed as a reference). Sounds like they are still gathering info during this holiday week, so I expect we won't hear anything until December.

Has anyone's status changed to finalist or has anyone received an offer this application cycle? If so, I think everyone would appreciate if you put down which division.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
eoir2014 wrote:I received a called from a person at EOIR, who left a message to call back. When I returned the call, I was given an offer. So nothing really to worry about missing calls.

Was your status changed to finalist?

Also was it for OCIJ? And for next year? Seems awfully early! Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Updating further, the same division hiring for only a handful of spots has now called my current employer for a reference (where my current employer was not listed as a reference). Sounds like they are still gathering info during this holiday week, so I expect we won't hear anything until December.

Has anyone's status changed to finalist or has anyone received an offer this application cycle? If so, I think everyone would appreciate if you put down which division.

I haven't heard of anyone's status getting changed, and it sounded like Deana would be doing that pretty soon after she heard from the components. But on that note, would you mind sharing what component you interviewed with?

eoir2014

Postby eoir2014 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:57 pm

Sorry for the confusion. I was only intending to calm the concern of the person who missed a phone call and thought it might have been an offer call.

The offer I received was a funnel offer (I was a SLIP this past summer) for OCIJ.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:01 am

eoir2014 wrote:Sorry for the confusion. I was only intending to calm the concern of the person who missed a phone call and thought it might have been an offer call.

The offer I received was a funnel offer (I was a SLIP this past summer) for OCIJ.

Congratulations on the offer anyhow!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:24 pm

ughhh i hate the waiting!!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:17 pm

It's awful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Criminal has made at least one offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Do you know if they checked references last week or was it earlier?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Criminal has made at least one offer.

:shock: I am dying of anxiety.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:20 am

Well guess I'll be staring at my phone starting Monday. Good luck everyone. And for those of us with finals next couple weeks - good luck on those as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Criminal has made at least one offer.

How do you know? Was the person's status changed to finalist before (or after) the offer came in? When was the offer made?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:40 am

On the Crim offer -- was this a SLIP funnel offer (as in, you were SLIP last year and now you have an HP offer)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:27 am

Does anyone think that OCIJ will be making offers this week (not including SLIP funnel offers)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone think that OCIJ will be making offers this week (not including SLIP funnel offers)?

I hope so. It will make studying so much easier.

Return to “Legal Employment”