DOJ Honors 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from ENRD?

I got the e-mail yesterady around 4:45.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:12 pm

did anyone rank civil #1, see their status change, but not receive an email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those who were selected but haven't received emails, mind sharing which component(s)?

Civil Rights #1
EOIR #2
Civil #3

Going out on a limb and guessing that the interview is not for civil rights (based on how competitive I think that one spot will be).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those who were selected but haven't received emails, mind sharing which component(s)?

1. EOIR
2. Civil Rights
3. Criminal

My guess is it's for EOIR, seeing as my app essays were exclusively about immigration/EOIR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:42 pm

Transfer to SLIP?

I see the option and I've read what it means. Does this suggest that people accepting clerkships for Fall 2014 would forgo taking the bar in July 2014 or (even worse IMO) take the bar and work at DOJ?

SLIP is paying at least, there's that.

Anyone have a good pro/con. As usual my CSO is nearly useless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:56 pm

I think it means one of those things, yes - IIRC SLIP only requires 6 weeks or so, so if you had a late clerkship start you could take the bar, then do SLIP. But some people might do it on top of bar study, who knows? I've never actually run into anyone who's done the mythical 3L SLIP (I applied but didn't get anything).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:17 am

Was curious if anyone was notified about an interview from a USAO?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:09 am

I ranked Crim #1 and was selected for an interview but did not receive an email.

Nat'l Security #2
ENRD #3

LBHTX

Postby LBHTX » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:20 pm

If you can, please log in before posting. It makes direct communication with specific users much easier. Anonymous posting totally destroys the opportunity to send a message to the user based on his/her comments.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:49 pm

LBHTX wrote:If you can, please log in before posting. It makes direct communication with specific users much easier. Anonymous posting totally destroys the opportunity to send a message to the user based on his/her comments.

But presumably people post anonymously precisely because they don't want people messaging them. The anonymous function is here so people feel comfortable posting information they wouldn't otherwise post, and it's their right to do so. There's no point in generically scolding people - you can post in thread asking a specific anon if they'll PM you if you want that kind of communication.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:44 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
LBHTX wrote:If you can, please log in before posting. It makes direct communication with specific users much easier. Anonymous posting totally destroys the opportunity to send a message to the user based on his/her comments.

But presumably people post anonymously precisely because they don't want people messaging them. The anonymous function is here so people feel comfortable posting information they wouldn't otherwise post, and it's their right to do so. There's no point in generically scolding people - you can post in thread asking a specific anon if they'll PM you if you want that kind of communication.

Agreed. I also post anonymously because individuals monitor these boards, and people would be less honest/forthcoming if they knew important people were reading this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was curious if anyone was notified about an interview from a USAO?

No chance. I'm interning at a USAO they have Special AUSAs working for free

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was curious if anyone was notified about an interview from a USAO?

No chance. I'm interning at a USAO they have Special AUSAs working for free

Despite using SAUSAs for several years, many USAOs used the DOJ HP to hire new AUSAs last year. Though last year we could see on the application the hiring offices by city, the number of AUSAs they were hiring, and you could select to which you were applying (a sub-preference, really, e.g., rank USAOs #2, checking Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Miami, etc.). Whereas this year as we saw they are just "informally" participating and we didn't get an opportunity to rank or select cities. I give this overview because I know there are many 3L applicants here who didn't apply last year and for whom this might be new information.

On the SAUSA issue, Special AUSAs have 1-year terms and aren't automatically eligible for hire at the end of their term. As I understand it, USAOs have been subject to a long-term hiring freeze where the DOJ HP is the only way they're able to get new AUSAs (who aren't already DOJ employees).

Anyone have a different take or experience? I'd love more info on participating offices and their process this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:18 am

I was also told last year that the USAOs were hiring through the HP because of the long-term hiring freezes, but one of the offices that hired through the HP last year hired at least 6 new AUSAs between the HP last year, and now. So I'm not sure what to make of that all. I also know of people getting permanent jobs after doing a SAUSA (the unpaid gig, not a detail from another agency), but of course that's consistent with "not automatically eligible," and I can't say how frequently it happens.

(FWIW, in previous years I have never heard of anyone actually getting an HP position with an "informally" participating hiring component. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because it's probably small enough numbers and possibly on a different enough schedule that info about this is hard to find. But I don't have the impression it's very common.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:19 pm

Did anyone get Civil Division emails?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:30 pm

Anyone hear from Tax?

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Miami USAO hired a bunch of people this year and most came from biglaw, some from clerkships, and I know for sure 2 SAUSAs were hired full time, one of whom worked at the miami Sao for five years beforehand.

For anyone thats curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone get Civil Division emails?

Yes. Emailed pre-shut down (same day as previous posters).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:54 pm

The Community update says selections will be finalized October 18.

I don't have any status update, so I think I'm not going to be selected. Even though there are a few days left. This year many people must have applied. I'm disappointed at not having been selected, but maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Seems like that date goes for SLIP applicants too, right? :/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:05 pm

I wouldn’t consider any of those dates necessarily set in stone at this point. I have a feeling that DOJ Honors and SLIP are both frozen at this point until the government reopens.

Also, Deana Willis posted on the forum before the shutdown that initial SLIP selections would not occur until around October 18. I expect that date to be later in light of the shutdown.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:05 am

Anyone think it might be a good idea to transfer to SLIP from the Honors program before October 18? Or is that not going to work, because they will have less time to review applications this late?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone think it might be a good idea to transfer to SLIP from the Honors program before October 18? Or is that not going to work, because they will have less time to review applications this late?

If you're eligible for Honors, you're not eligible for SLIP - you can only do SLIP if you're a 2L (or part-time equivalent), entering a clerkship after graduation, or entering a grad program after graduation. And if you get a clerkship etc., you can't apply for Honors. (Apologies if that's not what you meant, it wasn't clear - if you have to transfer to SLIP and you're asking about the timing, I'm not sure what the answer is.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:26 pm

The email I received about being selected for an interview said this about scheduling:

INTERVIEW SCHEDULING: The Department will send a separate message to all Honors Program interview candidates with instructions on how to schedule their interviews and, if needed, travel. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ANY ACTION TO SCHEDULE AN INTERVIEW AT THIS TIME.

I never received a follow-up message (presumably due to the shutdown) and therefore have not yet filled out my travel survey. Are other people waiting for another message before doing the travel survey or just going ahead with it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The email I received about being selected for an interview said this about scheduling:

INTERVIEW SCHEDULING: The Department will send a separate message to all Honors Program interview candidates with instructions on how to schedule their interviews and, if needed, travel. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ANY ACTION TO SCHEDULE AN INTERVIEW AT THIS TIME.

I never received a follow-up message (presumably due to the shutdown) and therefore have not yet filled out my travel survey. Are other people waiting for another message before doing the travel survey or just going ahead with it?

I have done absolutely nothing because I never got an e-mail about my interview, and I am unsure about the component. I am sure that with all of this confusion, and the fact that they know we didn't all get e-mails, that it will not be an issue.

Return to “Legal Employment”