DOJ Honors 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:23 pm

.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Does anyone know the strategy behind ranking the components? I have some good experience in civil rights law, but there is only one available position in the division. Would it hurt my changes for EOIR if I ranked Civil Rights first and EOIR second?


I was told by my advisor that EOIR is one of the only components that does not mind if you rank them second. Third, they might have a problem with.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:26 pm

School: T14
Grades: Top 1/3 (although unranked)
Activities: journal, public interest organization, research assistant, teaching assistant
Department: EOIR
Experience: 1L- immigration legal aid, 2L- appellate criminal work/habeas research assistantship.
No clerkship lined up. It's either this or public defense/immigration work.

Good luck all!

User avatar
crysmissmichelle
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:39 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby crysmissmichelle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Posting as myself, in hopes that they'll connect the dots and realize that this is really is my number one choice for employment next year, and I'm not just pretending!

EOIR is the only section I'm ranking on the application, the clerkship position my number one choice for EOIR.

* Pro bono immigration clinical experience 1L,
* Mid size immigration firm 1L/2L summers and part-time through the year (background in all types of immigration applications/benefits, now would like experience with immigration court proceedings).
* Proficient Spanish/English

Anyone also apply for DHS Honors?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Wow, your resume screams interest. I hope you pull it off. I listed immigration as an interest (#2) but like a lot of people, did so because of the hiring numbers. I'd love to be in the Honors Program with any component, tbh.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Should i even bother applying?

my grades are bad at a T2. But I have a ton of experience with DA offices and trial experience

User avatar
crysmissmichelle
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:39 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby crysmissmichelle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, your resume screams interest. I hope you pull it off. I listed immigration as an interest (#2) but like a lot of people, did so because of the hiring numbers. I'd love to be in the Honors Program with any component, tbh.


Thanks! I'm hoping!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:22 pm

I talked to a contact at main Justice, and they said they expected to be referring a "record number of applicants to components" this year. I'm not sure if that is due to fewer participating components or a huge increase in interest for the HP program overall (or just a sign of the economy).

In any event, we better all be prepared for a long road. It's going to be even more competitive than usual. Let's hope we all make the cut!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:53 pm

School: T14
Grades: Top 1/3 (although unranked)
Activities: journal, public interest organization, research assistant, teaching assistant
Department: EOIR
Experience: 1L- immigration legal aid, 2L- appellate criminal work/habeas research assistantship.
No clerkship lined up. It's either this or public defense/immigration work.

Good luck all!


Hi all, this is me (just for identification purposes). I made the mistake of looking at the DOJ 2013 thread, and am so much more worried now. I'm at an HYSCCN school, and I'm definitely not stellar grade-wise (but again, top 1/3), but looking at the applicants from last year is so scary haha.

EOIR is obviously my top choice, and I've written extensively on immigration, worked as an advocate, and also have local government experience. But I know there are applicants out there with better grades, who have a lot of academic prestige (master's degrees, PHDs, etc), who want it too. I have an IJ as one of my references, but I have no idea how much that helps.

I guess I'm just venting my anxieties, but I figure many of you feel the same way. This isn't my only option, of course, but it would be amazing to have this experience.

I hope everyone is making headway with their apps!

-SK

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:54 am

Anyone also apply for DHS Honors?


I'm applying to DHS/IRS/and DOT as well as DOJ anyone have any idea how many spots other agencies hire can't seem to find a number anywhere?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone also apply for DHS Honors?


I'm applying to DHS/IRS/and DOT as well as DOJ anyone have any idea how many spots other agencies hire can't seem to find a number anywhere?

The Arizona honors handbook often says how many people each program hired in the previous year, at least. I think DHS was supposed to hire 12-15 people last year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm applying, but waiting to hear back from federal clerkships (had one interview last week, and another interview scheduled for next week).

T50 law school
Top third
L. Rev.
Won a national moot court competition
1L: Volunteer Intern at US Attorney's Office
2L: DOJ SLIP
I'm also a military veteran.

If I get a federal clerkship, I'll apply for after the clerkship ends.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone also apply for DHS Honors?


I'm applying to DHS/IRS/and DOT as well as DOJ anyone have any idea how many spots other agencies hire can't seem to find a number anywhere?

The Arizona honors handbook often says how many people each program hired in the previous year, at least. I think DHS was supposed to hire 12-15 people last year.


They ended up only hiring like 3-ish people for DHS last year, cutting their total halfway through the process. Though USCIS specifically hired some entry-level attorneys as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone also apply for DHS Honors?


I'm applying to DHS/IRS/and DOT as well as DOJ anyone have any idea how many spots other agencies hire can't seem to find a number anywhere?

The Arizona honors handbook often says how many people each program hired in the previous year, at least. I think DHS was supposed to hire 12-15 people last year.


They ended up only hiring like 3-ish people for DHS last year, cutting their total halfway through the process. Though USCIS specifically hired some entry-level attorneys as well.

Ouch. Thanks for the update.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Any word on funnel offers or volume of applicants to specific components? This process is going to drag on forever.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on funnel offers or volume of applicants to specific components? This process is going to drag on forever.

According to Deana Willis on the application website (under the community tab):
Another question we've been getting runs along the lines of "Will most of the listed HP vacancies go to current Summer Law Interns?" The answer is no. Hope that helps quash that concern.

I don't think anyone can remotely speculate about volume of applicants to specific components, especially since the application's open for almost another month.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:52 am

Actually I had heard that someone at Main Justice said volume was already higher than normal. I also heard (but like third hand) that at least some funnel offers had already been made. Not exactly what poster was asking but thought I'd pass it along.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Actually I had heard that someone at Main Justice said volume was already higher than normal. I also heard (but like third hand) that at least some funnel offers had already been made. Not exactly what poster was asking but thought I'd pass it along.


I actually hadn't heard that at all from a current JLC at EOIR. She had a funnel offer, but still had to go through the process in sort of a pro forma way, but she gave me some insider info, and that definitely wasn't a part of what she told me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Are selections made on a rolling basis, or do the hiring components look at all the applications at the same time after the deadline?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are selections made on a rolling basis, or do the hiring components look at all the applications at the same time after the deadline?

Everything happens on pretty much the same timeline. As I understand it, the components don't see the applications until the deadline (though I'm not 100% certain on that). But there's a timeline from the OARM office that governs all the components - the interview logistics are all arranged through OARM, regardless of component, and interviews take place over one 3-week period (though different components may not interview the whole 3 weeks). Then there's a deadline for the components to submit their finalists to OARM to get the finalists approved (not all finalists get offers, but you can't get an offer unless you're an approved finalist). After that approval, components can make offers, and most go out around Thanksgiving (EOIR can take longer because the judicial clerkship location thing is more complicated logistically).

The one exception is that last year some of the antitrust offices seemed to interview/hire earlier.

(At least, based on how it worked last year, which seems pretty consistent with what had happened in prior years.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm applying, but waiting to hear back from federal clerkships (had one interview last week, and another interview scheduled for next week).

T50 law school
Top third
L. Rev.
Won a national moot court competition
1L: Volunteer Intern at US Attorney's Office
2L: DOJ SLIP
I'm also a military veteran.

If I get a federal clerkship, I'll apply for after the clerkship ends.


OP here with an update. No longer applying due to having accepted a federal clerkship. I'll apply next year.

Best of luck, everyone!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:30 am

T20
DOJ intern/other Gov honors intern experience
top 33% percent
Focused on Crim. and Civ. division b/c that is where my experience is.


I am not hopeful about the DOJ. It seems very competitive this year. I think your best bet would be to 1) take a firm position lateral over to DOJ or another agency in a year or 2) go for immigration, which has like 75 spots.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:32 pm

So, I ended up dropping out and accepting my big law position. So you can all worry about one fewer person. ;-) However, it was so emotionally hard for me, and even a week later, I'm still really down about it since DOJ was a long-time dream of mine. I caved in to family pressures to be in my home state and financial considerations, and I figured I didn't stand a good chance due to not being a former DOJ intern and not having done a clerkship. But honestly, everyone should keep their spirits up and go for it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Congrats guys. Federal clerkships and biglaw are among the cream of the crop with DOJ Honors, so it's not like you took a downgrade.

User avatar
crysmissmichelle
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:39 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby crysmissmichelle » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Congratulations! I hope you guys enjoy your new positions!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.