DOJ Honors 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, so I need everyone else to be in a panic with me. . . . have you guys looked at the website this morning?? It is all f-ed up! The top line has two "Application Status" bars, but both lead to the same "Application Window Not Open" message. The status window is gone, the Community responses are gone. . . .

I'm hoping that this is not just a sign of crappy government web engineering, maybe someone is doing something? Maybe some movement soon?

It makes me unreasonably uncomfortable not being able to see my application status.

mine's messed up, too, so I wouldn't worry about it :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, so I need everyone else to be in a panic with me. . . . have you guys looked at the website this morning?? It is all f-ed up! The top line has two "Application Status" bars, but both lead to the same "Application Window Not Open" message. The status window is gone, the Community responses are gone. . . .

I'm hoping that this is not just a sign of crappy government web engineering, maybe someone is doing something? Maybe some movement soon?

It makes me unreasonably uncomfortable not being able to see my application status.

Yep, mine is f-ed up too.

Avue did some website maintenance over the weekend. This is the result of said maintenance. I chatted with someone from Avue, and they said it should be fixed soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Yep, mine is f-ed up too.

Avue did some website maintenance over the weekend. This is the result of said maintenance. I chatted with someone from Avue, and they said it should be fixed soon.

They suck. Here I thought they had iCert and the DOL PERM site beaten. . . but they're just as bad. . .in a different way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For what it's worth, this is on the DOJ Honors Program Key Dates webpage (http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/en ... dates.html):

July 31, 2013 Applications available
TUESDAY AFTER LABOR DAY ABSOLUTE DEADLINE DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS IS 11:59 P.M. EASTERN TIME
September 30th DOJ notifies candidates selected for interviews by e-mail; selected candidates begin submitting travel surveys
Mid-October DOJ notifies applicants not selected for interviews by e-mail
October 21 through November 8, 2013 DOJ conducts Honors Program interviews
November 22, 2013 through January 2014 DOJ extends most offers
Mid-December DOJ notifies candidates not selected as finalists
January/February 2014 DOJ completes hiring selections

Based on this, interview e-mails go out on Sept. 30.

Great info - thanks.

cstarbucks

Postby cstarbucks » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:40 pm

So it looks like the invites went out on September 25th last year. Does anyone know if this was early? Or was this just as planned?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Deana Willis just posted that she hopes to start posting interview selections on Monday 9/30 so i guess we are all waiting until then

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:49 pm

cstarbucks wrote:So it looks like the invites went out on September 25th last year. Does anyone know if this was early? Or was this just as planned?

Ms. Willis just posted on the Community tab, it looks like they're sticking to the September 30 date for interview status changes and emails. I get the idea that last year's dates were fairly typical of the process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Hey guys! I applied to SLIP last year and DOJ was on this same schedule as this year. Everything moved pretty quickly once I was notified at the end of Sep. about my application being considered for further review. The interview was scheduled and I was notified about the job shortly after the interview. They typically give students 30 days to accept the offer. During my summer with DOJ, I spoke with Honors Attorneys and they said that the process went fairly quickly and it was very similar to what I went through. The only difference is that some components for DOJ actually interview in person. It's all about patience! :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:17 pm

I think actually all Honors components do in-person interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Anyone get the feeling the Deana Willis is getting pissed at us?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get the feeling the Deana Willis is getting pissed at us?

Definitely. :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get the feeling the Deana Willis is getting pissed at us?

Definitely. :lol:

Haha, I got the feeling when I read this message:

"Nobody has made interview selections. Nobody has made offers. Nobody is yet interviewing. All I said was: The applications have been forwarded for consideration.

IF, and only if, you are selected for an interview, you will be notified in two ways. First, your online status will change. Second - within 24 hours - I will issue email notices advising which components selected you.

Nothing is going to happen for a couple of weeks.

Please be patient."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:58 am

Anyone else having problems accessing Avue? Site just went down while I was on it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Ugh, posted by Deana Willis on the Community Tab

If there is a government shutdown . . .
Hi, all:
I am sure you know that there is a chance that the government will shut down on Tuesday. Of course, this coincides with our notification dates for the Honors Program interview selections. So here's the plan . . .

I intend to make online status changes starting tomorrow. If the government shuts down, I will NOT be able to send the notification messages advising you which components selected you and what to do to schedule your interview. That's because the notice requires you to submit a Travel Survey and - well - there won't be anyone on the receiving end and the fax machine will quickly run out of paper and end up backlogged and jammed with attempted submissions. That's a recipe for frustration for candidates (their fax will not go through) and even more frustration for our team of schedulers (they will not be allowed to come in to re-load the paper on the machine).

I know its horribly frustrating all the way around. We apologize for the inconvenience. As soon as Congress figures out what we will be doing on Tuesday and the next few days thereafter, I'll be in touch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ugh, posted by Deana Willis on the Community Tab

If there is a government shutdown . . .
Hi, all:
I am sure you know that there is a chance that the government will shut down on Tuesday. Of course, this coincides with our notification dates for the Honors Program interview selections. So here's the plan . . .

I intend to make online status changes starting tomorrow. If the government shuts down, I will NOT be able to send the notification messages advising you which components selected you and what to do to schedule your interview. That's because the notice requires you to submit a Travel Survey and - well - there won't be anyone on the receiving end and the fax machine will quickly run out of paper and end up backlogged and jammed with attempted submissions. That's a recipe for frustration for candidates (their fax will not go through) and even more frustration for our team of schedulers (they will not be allowed to come in to re-load the paper on the machine).

I know its horribly frustrating all the way around. We apologize for the inconvenience. As soon as Congress figures out what we will be doing on Tuesday and the next few days thereafter, I'll be in touch.

All this talk of paper and reloading the paper and needing someone to be there to reload the paper makes me think of a very backward system. Why not just emails? What's with this faxing business? Who faxes anymore?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
All this talk of paper and reloading the paper and needing someone to be there to reload the paper makes me think of a very backward system. Why not just emails? What's with this faxing business? Who faxes anymore?

:lol: I had to send several faxes while I worked for the EOIR last summer. Also, their e-mail was down for like 10 days. Yes, the entire EOIR, so you could not e-mail anything to anyone. Welcome to the federal government!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:29 am

If you get an interview, you have to fax information about travel dates/locations to a central location (the same people do the logistics for all the components), and then they fax you an itinerary. I have no idea why they do it by fax rather than by e-mail, but they do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:28 am

Any emails or statutes change?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:36 am

all quiet here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:05 am

Nothing yet.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 am

It's only 9:08 am...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:11 am

Jessuf wrote:It's only 9:08 am...

Nope; it's 9:11 a.m.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:24 am

I thought we were past those days of sitting around a computer hitting refresh and waiting for a status on a website to change. But no. I was wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 am

Selected for interview!!! Just changed about 2 minutes ago, been refreshing all morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 am

Has anyone heard anything? This is almost as bad as waiting for my bar results.

Return to “Legal Employment”