DOJ Honors 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:18 pm

I know a 3L dude who got an interview (so he probably had pretty good credentials) and when he got there, the interviewers just straight-up told him, "We're probably only going to hire clerks this year." I'm assuming the interviewers were just speaking for their component, but it's still a depressing story. This was around 2009-2011.
Two summers ago I went to the DOJ Honors/SLIP fair they held at Justice and spoke to the recruiting staff and that's basically what they told me. Of the class selected that year, she told me only 2 or so did not have clerkships. Not sure if she was talking about all the components or just the ones that I specifically mentioned I was interested in.

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Yes, all reports I've heard is that having previously served as a clerk is almost a pre-requisite for hiring for the most competitive components. I haven't yet been able to speak to anyone in EOIR. I had a contact in a different component and she couldn't get contact with anyone from EOIR. I also posted in last year's thread. . .and PM'd one of the posters who'd offered to talk about the component, but didn't get a reply. . .

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:49 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:Yes, all reports I've heard is that having previously served as a clerk is almost a pre-requisite for hiring for the most competitive components. I haven't yet been able to speak to anyone in EOIR. I had a contact in a different component and she couldn't get contact with anyone from EOIR. I also posted in last year's thread. . .and PM'd one of the posters who'd offered to talk about the component, but didn't get a reply. . .
From everyone I know who got an EOIR offer, I don't know of anyone who clerked. I do find it kind of unpredictable about who they hire, though. I have a couple friends with resumes that just scream EOIR clerkship and they didn't even get an interview, and other people who really weren't interested in immigration got offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:56 pm

I don't think EOIR is as clerkship-focused - I know people who got EOIR without clerkships, and when I interviewed with them coming out of a clerkship, they asked quite pointedly about whether I really wanted to do another clerkship/why. (I interviewed for one of the EOIR judicial clerkships.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:Yes, all reports I've heard is that having previously served as a clerk is almost a pre-requisite for hiring for the most competitive components. I haven't yet been able to speak to anyone in EOIR. I had a contact in a different component and she couldn't get contact with anyone from EOIR. I also posted in last year's thread. . .and PM'd one of the posters who'd offered to talk about the component, but didn't get a reply. . .
I know several people who got EOIR and I worked there last summer. None of them had previous clerkships or seemed to think it was that common for that component.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think EOIR is as clerkship-focused - I know people who got EOIR without clerkships, and when I interviewed with them coming out of a clerkship, they asked quite pointedly about whether I really wanted to do another clerkship/why. (I interviewed for one of the EOIR judicial clerkships.)
Yeah, I would think that EOIR clerkships would be a little different.

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:29 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
I do find it kind of unpredictable about who they hire, though. I have a couple friends with resumes that just scream EOIR clerkship and they didn't even get an interview, and other people who really weren't interested in immigration got offers.
I noticed this from last year's thread, it makes me a bit sad....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:34 am

crysmissmichelle wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
I do find it kind of unpredictable about who they hire, though. I have a couple friends with resumes that just scream EOIR clerkship and they didn't even get an interview, and other people who really weren't interested in immigration got offers.
I noticed this from last year's thread, it makes me a bit sad....
I've done hiring before for a position that got tons of apps. Honestly, sometimes it's just luck. It could literally depend on the mood of one person who had a fight with his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/mother/father that morning. If you're in a bad mood, had indigestion, or were distracted, you could easily overlook a very good app.

Also, if you're in a super happy mood or just careless, you could let a mediocre resume escape the trash bin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:06 am

So who thinks we'll hear something by the end of next week?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:So who thinks we'll hear something by the end of next week?
Sure, why not? Last year, people got "referred" by that time.

LBHTX

New

Post by LBHTX » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Just posted on the community forum:

Ladies and Gentlemen:

If your online status reads: Application received", then I want to reassure you that your application has already been forwarded to the components/offices of interest that you designated.

The next online status change that will be visible will reflect "selected for interview" for the Honors Program. This online status change will not indicate the selecting component or components. I will issue follow-up email advising candidates which component selected them within 24 hours. I send one message for each hiring component. If your online status indicates that you were selected for an interview and you do not get a message from a specific component, then that component did not select you. We then wait a bit for components to make any additional selections before we notify candidates who were not selected. This time period is not fixed - could be a couple of weeks.

The next notification would go to SLIP candidates selected for consideration for employment.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck to all!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Just got an email saying we were referred too. How long does the next step take? Everyone gets referred right?

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:58 pm

The email and announcement say it could take weeks. Last year the interview announcements started about a week after the referrals. Everyone who meets the application reqs gets referred.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:50 am

Last year, the referral emails were sent out on Thursday, September 20, and the interview selection emails were sent out on Tuesday, September 25. Thus, if the interim time period is the same this year, then the interview selection emails should be sent out tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:27 am

The DOJ official posted in the Community Section of the Avue site to expect it to be a few weeks before we hear anything. . .maybe she's trying to temper expectations. . .or maybe she's being realistic. *shrugs*

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:The DOJ official posted in the Community Section of the Avue site to expect it to be a few weeks before we hear anything. . .maybe she's trying to temper expectations. . .or maybe she's being realistic. *shrugs*
Yeah . . . I should have looked at the Avue site before posting. Also, it looks like the DOJ site lists September 30 as the date that the interview emails will be sent out, so that's consistent with what the DOJ official posted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Its going to be a slow process I think. Government is always slow.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:05 am

Any word? So are we actually going to have a "Referred to Components" update anymore like they did in the past?

Also, did anyone else notice how they always use that Cindy girl as their model basically for the DOJ Honors program? Same pictures, same girl.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:22 pm

OMG, cannot get onto the website to check status (won't load). . .having a minor freak out. lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:14 am

Haha. I am right there with you. It's been down since around 4:00 p.m. yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:03 am

OK, so it's back up, but the "Community" appears to be empty. . .none of the answers Deanna Willis gave are there anymore.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:27 am

That's annoying. "Quit Playing Games With My Heart" is my new theme song.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Wait, are people getting referral emails now? Because I definitely haven't. Shit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wait, are people getting referral emails now? Because I definitely haven't. Shit.
As far as I know no one has.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:09 am

Sigh. As of today, I'm now a former EOIR attorney advisor. It's the best job in the world, guys. Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”