DOJ Honors 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone think that OCIJ will be making offers this week (not including SLIP funnel offers)?
I hope so. It will make studying so much easier.

As much as I hope we get news this week, it doesn't seem likely. Since OCIJ interviewed such a large number of people, I imagine it will take longer to check all the references. The initial offer is for a specific court, so making all the regional assignments also takes time. I'm betting they'll need all the way up to (and maybe beyond) the December 11th deadline to select finalists.

Have anyone's reference's been contacted yet for OCIJ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone think that OCIJ will be making offers this week (not including SLIP funnel offers)?

As much as I hope we get news this week, it doesn't seem likely. Since OCIJ interviewed such a large number of people, I imagine it will take longer to check all the references. The initial offer is for a specific court, so making all the regional assignments also takes time. I'm betting they'll need all the way up to (and maybe beyond) the December 11th deadline to select finalists.

Do you have an idea of how many people were interviewed? More than 180? (That's what I read in last year's forum).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Mine have not, to my knowledge. Not sure they would tell me, however. As for the numbers of interviewees, I thought I read somewhere on here it was over 200.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Does anyone have insight into when Antitrust offers are likely to go out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Crim applicant here. I learned that one of my references was contacted about a week ago. Just FYI.

Best of luck to everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Another crim applicant here. My references were also contacted about a week ago, along with the judges for whom I've clerked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have insight into when Antitrust offers are likely to go out?
Heard the second week of December, but it might be different for non-criminal Antitrust. Not a lot of us ... 10 people for 2 spots.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have insight into when Antitrust offers are likely to go out?
Heard the second week of December, but it might be different for non-criminal Antitrust. Not a lot of us ... 10 people for 2 spots.
Good to know there's another criminal antitrust person on here. I haven't heard a word since interview, and references haven't been contacted to my knowledge. Best of luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Good to know there's another criminal antitrust person on here. I haven't heard a word since interview, and references haven't been contacted to my knowledge. Best of luck.
I was told second week of December as well. Didn't realize they were separating out hiring for criminal vs. civil antitrust this year. Are they doing 2 and 2 or 4 for civil and 2 for criminal?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I was told second week of December as well. Didn't realize they were separating out hiring for criminal vs. civil antitrust this year. Are they doing 2 and 2 or 4 for civil and 2 for criminal?
My understanding is two each, and I think it's likely that they're not coordinating timing. So civil might make offers well before crim, or vice versa.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On the Crim offer -- was this a SLIP funnel offer (as in, you were SLIP last year and now you have an HP offer)?
It wasn't me, just someone I know, and yes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
My understanding is two each, and I think it's likely that they're not coordinating timing. So civil might make offers well before crim, or vice versa.
Where does this understanding come from? This whole thread has been surprising to me as I interviewed with antitrust and talked about how my main interest was on the criminal antitrust side. I was told that HP hires would be rotating throughout the Antitrust Division (in criminal and civil) and was asked explicitly if I was interested in doing both. Were you told otherwise?

Otherwise, I have nothing new to report---2nd week of December for timing and my references have also not been contacted by the Antitrust Division.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On the Crim offer -- was this a SLIP funnel offer (as in, you were SLIP last year and now you have an HP offer)?
It wasn't me, just someone I know, and yes.
Can you give us more details? Was the person a SLIP summer of 2013? Is he or she clerking now or still in law school? When was the offer made?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Is anyone else on here in the running for the Civil Rights Division position? If so, any intelligence on when we might hear anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:04 pm

"Crim applicant here. I learned that one of my references was contacted about a week ago. Just FYI."

... and the other Crim applicants: has anyone's status changed to "Finalist"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:"Crim applicant here. I learned that one of my references was contacted about a week ago. Just FYI."

... and the other Crim applicants: has anyone's status changed to "Finalist"?
My status has not changed from "selected for interview."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:52 am

Nor has mine. I would wager there won't be any movement this week. But that's just my educated guess, so take it FWIW.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Nor has mine. I would wager there won't be any movement this week. But that's just my educated guess, so take it FWIW.
My status has not changed, but I know that Crim was still calling up my references/past employers earlier this week.

By the way, National Security just posted finalists.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:17 am

Any ENRD interviewees have their references contacted yet? Any idea what they are asked?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any ENRD interviewees have their references contacted yet? Any idea what they are asked?
I am applying for a different component, but interviewers apparently asked my references about overall job performance, ability to make ethical decisions, ability to work with others, etc. The questions seemed fairly standard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any ENRD interviewees have their references contacted yet? Any idea what they are asked?
I am applying for a different component, but interviewers apparently asked my references about overall job performance, ability to make ethical decisions, ability to work with others, etc. The questions seemed fairly standard.
Which component? EOIR?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:12 am

I just got an offer from DOJ (not SLIP) and my status is now "finalist." They give people a few weeks to accept before going to their next choice, though, so more offers may come in late December/early January! Good luck to you all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just got an offer from DOJ (not SLIP) and my status is now "finalist." They give people a few weeks to accept before going to their next choice, though, so more offers may come in late December/early January! Good luck to you all.
What component??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:17 am

A very small office, so not one of the major ones

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:A very small office, so not one of the major ones
Ah okay - thanks, and congrats!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.