DOJ Honors 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just wanted to say that this wait is tough - had the shutdown not happened we'd have heard back by now. At least this is about the time finalists were being announced last year.
Agreed. I'm trying not to obsess about it, but it's rough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Are all the interviews over?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are all the interviews over?
I don't think so. The scheduling preference sheet went into next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are all the interviews over?
I don't think so. The scheduling preference sheet went into next week.
Yep, it did. But I do think that NY and other places aren't interviewing next week, so this week will be the last week they're interviewing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:49 am

Does anyone know when we will likely hear back from Honors interviews? Since it is usually late November, would it be something like mid-late December with shutdown?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when we will likely hear back from Honors interviews? Since it is usually late November, would it be something like mid-late December with shutdown?
My interviewer told me mid-December

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:41 am

Does anyone who interviewed know if their references have been called? Does anyone know whether the DOJ calls the references of everyone who interviews or whether the DOJ calling your references means you have made it even further in this process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:19 am

Last year, I'm pretty sure not everyone had their references called (generally, those who did not, did not get an offer.) But that's fairly patchy info, of course.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:26 am

My understanding is that not every candidate has his/her references called. Of course, having one's references contacted doesn't guarantee that person a position, but it seems to suggest they're still in the running.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Has anyone who interviewed for an Honors position confirmed that their references have been called as of yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Here's a question for anyone that may have gotten the information out of their interviewer: how many interviews did justice do this year for EOIR? The website says there's 77 openings for the EOIR (http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/en ... pants.html). Last year's thread indicated that there was approximately 3 people interviewed for everyone one spot. I just wanted to see if that was about the same for this year.

If anyone know -

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when we will likely hear back from Honors interviews? Since it is usually late November, would it be something like mid-late December with shutdown?
My interviewer told me mid-December
I was told the same thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:58 pm

In past years, the DOJ would change applicants' status to "Finalist" or "Selected as a Finalist." Such individuals were "approved for hire" by the DOJ components. In effect, they made up the pool of people who got offers or were being held as alternates. I have not seen anything this year to suggest that Finalists would be identified this way - perhaps because there are so few open positions outside of EOIR that the components simply make their offers rather than create a pool and then rank the pool for offers - but does anyone know if (and when) this will be occurring? Perhaps, we should ask Deana Willis, but thought I would ask here first.

Also, one of my references got called.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:07 pm

I wish they would call my references :( I HATE WAITING.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In past years, the DOJ would change applicants' status to "Finalist" or "Selected as a Finalist." Such individuals were "approved for hire" by the DOJ components. In effect, they made up the pool of people who got offers or were being held as alternates. I have not seen anything this year to suggest that Finalists would be identified this way - perhaps because there are so few open positions outside of EOIR that the components simply make their offers rather than create a pool and then rank the pool for offers - but does anyone know if (and when) this will be occurring? Perhaps, we should ask Deana Willis, but thought I would ask here first.

Did you interview during the first week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In past years, the DOJ would change applicants' status to "Finalist" or "Selected as a Finalist." Such individuals were "approved for hire" by the DOJ components. In effect, they made up the pool of people who got offers or were being held as alternates. I have not seen anything this year to suggest that Finalists would be identified this way - perhaps because there are so few open positions outside of EOIR that the components simply make their offers rather than create a pool and then rank the pool for offers - but does anyone know if (and when) this will be occurring? Perhaps, we should ask Deana Willis, but thought I would ask here first.

Chiming in—I interviewed the week of November 4, and to my knowledge, none of my references have been contacted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Chiming in—I interviewed the week of November 4, and to my knowledge, none of my references have been contacted.
Same here. :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same here. :|
Mid-December seems awfully far away :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:02 pm

I also interviewed first week (4th through 8th) and, to my knowledge, no references were contacted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:03 pm

I am sure it is going to vary by component. I bet the smaller components will contact references first since they have less candidates to consider.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Mid-December seems awfully far away :([/quote]

Seems like eternity.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:10 pm

I was told offers are made from mid-December until February. Long wait. How am I supposed to study for finals?! Ha.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told offers are made from mid-December until February. Long wait. How am I supposed to study for finals?! Ha.
Blame the shutdown. I talked to last year and year before hires and they all said the had offers before thanksgiving.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:31 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was told offers are made from mid-December until February. Long wait. How am I supposed to study for finals?! Ha.
Blame the shutdown. I talked to last year and year before hires and they all said the had offers before thanksgiving.
Oh well. At least we will find out after finals, so it won't ruin our studying or Thanksgiving.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”