DOJ Honors 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:49 am

geez - none of my references have let me know they were contacted so I assume they haven't been checked. this is going to be a long week. at least I have two finals to keep me semi-distracted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:geez - none of my references have let me know they were contacted so I assume they haven't been checked. this is going to be a long week. at least I have two finals to keep me semi-distracted.
Same here. I'm assuming they would let me know if they are contacted but they haven't! Are you waiting for EOIR as well? Good luck with your finals!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:geez - none of my references have let me know they were contacted so I assume they haven't been checked. this is going to be a long week. at least I have two finals to keep me semi-distracted.
Same here. I'm assuming they would let me know if they are contacted but they haven't! Are you waiting for EOIR as well? Good luck with your finals!

yep - EOIR - still waiting

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Me three.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Me three.
Me four.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:50 pm

looks like this week's first finalists have just been announced - let's hope the flood gates have opened!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:27 pm

It was one of the very small sections, Civil Appellate, posting 1 primary and 1 alternate finalist.

Hopefully more sections after lunch!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Was just offered and accepted a position as a Trial Attorney with the Criminal Division. I'm profoundly honored and, quite frankly, speechless. I received the call before my status changed to "Finalist."

Good luck to everyone else!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was just offered and accepted a position as a Trial Attorney with the Criminal Division. I'm profoundly honored and, quite frankly, speechless. I received the call before my status changed to "Finalist."

that's awesome!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was just offered and accepted a position as a Trial Attorney with the Criminal Division. I'm profoundly honored and, quite frankly, speechless. I received the call before my status changed to "Finalist."

Congrats!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:46 pm

Congrats to all who have been contacted! It's a terrific honor.

Hoping that even though one door has apparently closed for me, a second door will open soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats to all who have been contacted! It's a terrific honor.

Hoping that even though one door has apparently closed for me, a second door will open soon.
Hey - getting interviewed for those limited positions is still a pretty impressive thing. At least the wait is over for you. I on the other hand get extremely excited every time my phone makes a noise - which is followed by immediate disappointment. Although the last telemarketer was polite about me hanging up on them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:43 pm

True, getting an interview is an honor in and of itself. But for those of us who really, really want DOJ but can't do that, it's difficult. At least there's closure. Back to the job search!

Again, congrats to everyone!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:11 pm

Way to go!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Lots of movement in selecting finalists today--Tax (both civil and crim), Civ--Federal Programs, and numerous SLIPs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Any folks hear from ENRD? Anyone here apply to ENRD?!

And congrats to everyone who've received an offer!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Anything from EOIR?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anything from EOIR?
only if you're SLIP :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:56 pm

No. This wait is killing me. :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Same here! Haven't heard from my references to see if they've been contacted. Maybe tomorrow?! :cry:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Same here! Haven't heard from my references to see if they've been contacted. Maybe tomorrow?! :cry:
Me neither, and I really think at least one would tell me since it is someone from EOIR who I worked for last summer. Really makes me think I have no chance now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Me neither, and I really think at least one would tell me since it is someone from EOIR who I worked for last summer. Really makes me think I have no chance now.
To that point, I looked through last year's thread and found I believe two instances where finalists (alternates) were selected several months after the finalist designation was released. I think I have two points. First, even if your references haven't been checked - that doesn't mean you would not be a finalist by tomorrow. The second, point is that EOIR alternates probably have a better chance of getting a spot than the other smaller DOJ offices. So - I think some optimism is in order. - SOME 8)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote: To that point, I looked through last year's thread and found I believe two instances where finalists (alternates) were selected several months after the finalist designation was released. I think I have two points. First, even if your references haven't been checked - that doesn't mean you would not be a finalist by tomorrow. The second, point is that EOIR alternates probably have a better chance of getting a spot than the other smaller DOJ offices. So - I think some optimism is in order. - SOME 8)
Your second point is probably true also because some people realize they don't want to do immigration and end up not accepting. I think a lot of applicants apply because it is DOJ, then realize it does not really help you unless you want to work in this field longterm. Hopefully a lot of people change their minds!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well hold on a minute..have anyone's references been contacted for EOIR? My sense from this thread is that no one's had been contacted. I thought it was a good sign that we were all in the same boat. EOIR could be asking for an extension on choosing finalists or not even contacting references. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Well hold on a minute..have anyone's references been contacted for EOIR? My sense from this thread is that no one's had been contacted. I thought it was a good sign that we were all in the same boat. EOIR could be asking for an extension on choosing finalists or not even contacting references. Thoughts?
I think you're right - at least looking through last year's thread. Although last year apparently people that had interned at the EOIR had those specific EOIR supervisors contacted. So - take that as you will.

What I'm looking for here is someone to say hey I was an EOIR intern and my supervisor was NOT contacted. Then, I'd think they are not contacting references. But, the other DOJ offices seem to be contacting references before offers. But, they don't have 70 plus spots to fill.

Has anyone had a reference checked for an EOIR position this year?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”