TEXAS

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm would be your ideal firm?

Baker Botts
16
25%
Norton Rose Fulbright
8
13%
Vinson & Elkins
12
19%
Latham & Watkins
4
6%
Andrews Kurth
3
5%
Bracewell
2
3%
Haynes and Boone
10
16%
Jones Day
2
3%
Jackson Walker
4
6%
Locke Lord
2
3%
 
Total votes: 63

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:45 pm

BigLawer wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Susman, Gibbs and Bruns, and Yetter need to get added to this list.


Pretty sure those are lit only firms, and the rest are larger full service shops. If you add those you would have to add Beck Redden as well as AZA...etc wayyy to many lit shops that are "good"


Just add the ones that are on the vault list for top lit boutiques. they pay more than normal big law, offer better partnership prospects, and are even more prestigious.

Seems like any Texas list without those firms is incomplete.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:00 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
BigLawer wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Susman, Gibbs and Bruns, and Yetter need to get added to this list.


Pretty sure those are lit only firms, and the rest are larger full service shops. If you add those you would have to add Beck Redden as well as AZA...etc wayyy to many lit shops that are "good"


Just add the ones that are on the vault list for top lit boutiques. they pay more than normal big law, offer better partnership prospects, and are even more prestigious.

Seems like any Texas list without those firms is incomplete.



I did not include those because there is no room AND I dont want every single person to just pick Susman, as I think everyone would. This is more of a realistic thing, and unless you are at the very top from a top school, Susman is not an option. I am top 25% from MVP, and dont even think I have an outside chance at Susman lol!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:59 am

What's the skinny on Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, etc.? Are they considered to be on the same level as Susman, Yetter, etc.?

I also can't find anything regarding how many summer's they typically take and what the offer rate is like. Any info would be appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the skinny on Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, etc.? Are they considered to be on the same level as Susman, Yetter, etc.?

I also can't find anything regarding how many summer's they typically take and what the offer rate is like. Any info would be appreciated.


Not even close to the same level.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the skinny on Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, etc.? Are they considered to be on the same level as Susman, Yetter, etc.?

I also can't find anything regarding how many summer's they typically take and what the offer rate is like. Any info would be appreciated.


Not even close to the same level.


Alright thanks. Any info/advice you can give?

Much appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the skinny on Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, etc.? Are they considered to be on the same level as Susman, Yetter, etc.?

I also can't find anything regarding how many summer's they typically take and what the offer rate is like. Any info would be appreciated.


Not even close to the same level.


Alright thanks. Any info/advice you can give?

Much appreciated.


Which boutique are you trying to work for?

Susman is tops. They're hiring more than in past years, but their standards are the same. Around a 4.0 at UT, top 5%-10% at most other schools. Probably top 25% at HYS (the HYS percentage is based on firm bios, everyone seems to have latin honors).

Gibbs and Bruns seems to only recruit from UT, so you may need to just send an app to em if you aren't a longhorn. Similar grade standards to Susman. Smaller than Susman, but they've had a few very good years recently. Great firm, great people.

Yetter and Beck Redden have lower standards than susman and gibbs. Still great firms though. Yetter seems to be stronger in appellate work. Yetter is also a newer firm and seems like it's on the rise.

McKool's practice is disproportionately focused on IP. They say they are building their commercial lit practice, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the skinny on Ahmad, Zavitsanos, Anaipakos, etc.? Are they considered to be on the same level as Susman, Yetter, etc.?

I also can't find anything regarding how many summer's they typically take and what the offer rate is like. Any info would be appreciated.


Not even close to the same level.


Alright thanks. Any info/advice you can give?

Much appreciated.


Which boutique are you trying to work for?

Susman is tops. They're hiring more than in past years, but their standards are the same. Around a 4.0 at UT, top 5%-10% at most other schools. Probably top 25% at HYS (the HYS percentage is based on firm bios, everyone seems to have latin honors).

Gibbs and Bruns seems to only recruit from UT, so you may need to just send an app to em if you aren't a longhorn. Similar grade standards to Susman. Smaller than Susman, but they've had a few very good years recently. Great firm, great people.

Yetter and Beck Redden have lower standards than susman and gibbs. Still great firms though. Yetter seems to be stronger in appellate work. Yetter is also a newer firm and seems like it's on the rise.

McKool's practice is disproportionately focused on IP. They say they are building their commercial lit practice, though.


I have an interview with AZA, didnt land interviews with any of the others. The info on their NALP form is pretty sparse. Pretty much all they list is salary information. I'd really like to know stuff like offer rate, how many hours associates are billing, culture of the firm, stuff like that.

Thanks for the help.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:28 am

Baker Botts Houston, V&E Houston or Haynes and Boone Dallas? This is going to be what it comes down to for me, and I am really struggling. A little about me...I am looking at corporate (securities/M&A), summered at one of the above mentioned Big 3, and have offers from the other two at the moment. I am really struggling.

Also, I like Dallas and Houston. I think the work is "bigger" in Houston, but I like that HB in Dallas seems to do a broader range of work. I am concerned primarily with exit options (to another firm or in-house), pay and partnership chances. I get the feeling that V&E Houston might provide best exit options as they seem to be the best for corp work, but I also think they provide the lowest chance of partner.

any opinions?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Baker Botts Houston, V&E Houston or Haynes and Boone Dallas? This is going to be what it comes down to for me, and I am really struggling. A little about me...I am looking at corporate (securities/M&A), summered at one of the above mentioned Big 3, and have offers from the other two at the moment. I am really struggling.

Also, I like Dallas and Houston. I think the work is "bigger" in Houston, but I like that HB in Dallas seems to do a broader range of work. I am concerned primarily with exit options (to another firm or in-house), pay and partnership chances. I get the feeling that V&E Houston might provide best exit options as they seem to be the best for corp work, but I also think they provide the lowest chance of partner.

any opinions?


Don't go to HB Dallas. They aren't what they used to be for M&A. They lost some big partners to Akin. Since then, a number of associates have also left for other firms in Dallas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Baker Botts Houston, V&E Houston or Haynes and Boone Dallas? This is going to be what it comes down to for me, and I am really struggling. A little about me...I am looking at corporate (securities/M&A), summered at one of the above mentioned Big 3, and have offers from the other two at the moment. I am really struggling.

Also, I like Dallas and Houston. I think the work is "bigger" in Houston, but I like that HB in Dallas seems to do a broader range of work. I am concerned primarily with exit options (to another firm or in-house), pay and partnership chances. I get the feeling that V&E Houston might provide best exit options as they seem to be the best for corp work, but I also think they provide the lowest chance of partner.

any opinions?


Don't go to HB Dallas. They aren't what they used to be for M&A. They lost some big partners to Akin. Since then, a number of associates have also left for other firms in Dallas.


But arent they the best Dallas firm for corporate work? Where would people say the best firm to go to is if your goal is to make partner at a firm. Whether that be the initial firm or a firm that you lateral over too (so basically which TX firm would make it easiest to lateral to another firm if you are not on track for partner). Would that be V&E Houston or Baker Botts Houston?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:28 am

Thoughts on V&E Houston v. Bracewell Houston?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on V&E Houston v. Bracewell Houston?


Need more info. Do you want lit or corp? If corp do you want M&A/Securities or Finance?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on V&E Houston v. Bracewell Houston?


Need more info. Do you want lit or corp? If corp do you want M&A/Securities or Finance?



Definitely want transactional work but I'm not sure yet about specifics.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
But arent they the best Dallas firm for corporate work? Where would people say the best firm to go to is if your goal is to make partner at a firm. Whether that be the initial firm or a firm that you lateral over too (so basically which TX firm would make it easiest to lateral to another firm if you are not on track for partner). Would that be V&E Houston or Baker Botts Houston?


They used to be a head above everyone else but as noted, not so much anymore, lost a lot of ppl through laterals.

As for partner, probably JW, LL, or TK.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:43 pm

So I am really surprised that Baker Botts has so many more votes than V&E, is there any reason for that? What if one was deciding between the two for corporate work in Houston?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Bump, thought this thread would do better!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.