TEXAS

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm would be your ideal firm?

Baker Botts
25%
Norton Rose Fulbright
13%
Vinson & Elkins
19%
Latham & Watkins
6%
Andrews Kurth
5%
Bracewell
3%
Haynes and Boone
16%
Jones Day
3%
Jackson Walker
6%
Locke Lord
3%

Total votes: 63

Anonymous User

TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Seems like there is a large group of Texas market folks on here. This is not just for students in Texas, but students that are looking at the Texas market. We can discuss Firm SA experiences, pros and cons of certain firms, when offers from OGI are going out, etc. Also be sure to reference which city when you have a question about, as each firms office can vary greatly based on city.

I have put a poll up with the main market players

EDIT: took away being city specific

Let the fun begin.

P.S. Cant beat that low COL and no state income tax!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: TEXAS

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:53 pm

You left off some good firms and I'm not sure why you were city specific.

But I will play.

I really like the people I have met from Baker Hostetler and Jackson Walker (Houston).

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:55 pm

sup

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:14 pm

Susman?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:05 pm

Sorry everyone. It only allowed 10 choices. So I focused on the Big 3, and the larger Dallas based firms.

Also, with RE to Susman, they are small and in a different league I feel like haha if you land Susman, like the people there and want to do Litigation, I think you are set.

We can definitely talk about any other firms in here as well, and if people want, I can delete the poll (I didnt do a very good job with it).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:08 pm

Here is a talking point:

What are people thinking about the Norton Rose Fulbright combo? I spent some time at Fulbright this summer, they played it off as amazing (obviously) but I am interested in hearing what others think. I am thinking this could be good for their corporate group and unlikely to touch their lit practice much because lit is (usually) pretty regional.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here is a talking point:

What are people thinking about the Norton Rose Fulbright combo? I spent some time at Fulbright this summer, they played it off as amazing (obviously) but I am interested in hearing what others think. I am thinking this could be good for their corporate group and unlikely to touch their lit practice much because lit is (usually) pretty regional.

I summered at a firm mentioned in the poll above. One partner who I actually discussed this merger with said that it was a horrible idea and that he had no idea what Fulbright was thinking.

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Any reason for people picking Baker Botts and HaynesBoone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is a talking point:

I summered at a firm mentioned in the poll above. One partner who I actually discussed this merger with said that it was a horrible idea and that he had no idea what Fulbright was thinking.

Seems like they wanted to expand. They were the first firm to move into NYC and have expanded more rapidly than other top Houston firms. I dont know that this was a great idea though, only time will tell.

AFS

Postby AFS » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:24 pm

How comparable is the Norton Rose Fulbright merger to the Pearson Darby merger?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:32 pm

AFS wrote:How comparable is the Norton Rose Fulbright merger to the Pearson Darby merger?

if suits was filmed in houston, then extremely. Though I dont think fulbright undertook the merger under financial distress

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:50 pm

BigLawer wrote:Any reason for people picking Baker Botts and HaynesBoone?

Im going to bump since I dont want Suits to distract to much (though it is an awesome show). Wondering why BB is getting more love than V&E when people seem to say V&E tops in corp? Also, curious as to the HaynesBoone liking

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:59 pm

Susman, Gibbs and Bruns, and Yetter need to get added to this list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:26 am

I wouldn't accept HaynesBoone (unless no other offers) simply because they want full summer.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't accept HaynesBoone (unless no other offers) simply because they want full summer.

that's actually not true. I know a lot of people that split with em (1st and 2nd half splits; although 2nd half is only available for fast track alums).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:49 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't accept HaynesBoone (unless no other offers) simply because they want full summer.

that's actually not true. I know a lot of people that split with em (1st and 2nd half splits; although 2nd half is only available for fast track alums).

Is that for all offices? I was saying that based of my knowledge of their Houston branch. Wonder if it may be different for different offices.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Is that for all offices. I was saying that based of my knowledge of their Houston branch. Wonder if it may be different for different offices.

Oh, that could be true then. I mean, Houston is a small outpost for HB. I'd only work for their HQ in Dallas (where they definitely let you split).

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:14 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

What is a "fast track alum?" :|

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:16 pm

HB does a program where you summer with them your 1L summer for some number of weeks (can't remember how many) and as part of doing so, you agree to summer with them the next summer for a certain number of weeks. Usually top people at UT and general students at other, higher-ranked, schools get those spots.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:18 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:HB does a program where you summer with them your 1L summer for some number of weeks (can't remember how many) and as part of doing so, you agree to summer with them the next summer for a certain number of weeks. Usually top people at UT and general students at other, higher-ranked, schools get those spots.

Ohhh I see! Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You left off some good firms and I'm not sure why you were city specific.

But I will play.

I really like the people I have met from Baker Hostetler and Jackson Walker (Houston).

Does anyone know anything about the culture at Baker Hostetler (Houston), specifically in litigation? I've been looking online but I can't seem to find anything other than what is listed on NALP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:24 pm

I have a question for you UT folk.

For big law, what do you think the spread of cities is for your class? Mostly, Dallas? Houston? Equal?

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question for you UT folk.

For big law, what do you think the spread of cities is for your class? Mostly, Dallas? Houston? Equal?

Way more in Houston than Dallas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:34 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:HB does a program where you summer with them your 1L summer for some number of weeks (can't remember how many) and as part of doing so, you agree to summer with them the next summer for a certain number of weeks. Usually top people at UT and general students at other, higher-ranked, schools get those spots.

Its only 1 week. This year it was only kids from schools ranked above Texas (Duke was lowest ranked), I think this is the first year they didnt take from Texas. They seem to be trying to move away from allowing fasttrackers to come second half, which would be a shame.

Offers for that program are now out. I am seriously considering it.

BigLawer

Postby BigLawer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:36 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Susman, Gibbs and Bruns, and Yetter need to get added to this list.

Pretty sure those are lit only firms, and the rest are larger full service shops. If you add those you would have to add Beck Redden as well as AZA...etc wayyy to many lit shops that are "good"

Return to “Legal Employment”