Dumb question -- Do we need to bring cover letters for OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dumb question -- Do we need to bring cover letters for OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:49 pm

if we didn't submit them when we bid on Symplicity? My school didn't allow us to submit anything on Symplicity except for our resume. We bring our transcripts and references and writing sample to the interviews with us.

But for the firms with which we are interviewing, are we supposed to bring a cover letter too?

Sorry for use of anon feature, but I felt dumb asking this.

Bronck

Re: Dumb question -- Do we need to bring cover letters for OCI

Postby Bronck » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:51 pm

No

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:59 pm

some firms request cover letters under symplicity, if it doesnt say anything there- answer is no

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:25 pm

I plan on bringing a copy of a cover letter transcript resume writing sample and a firm cheat sheet in one of those sweet leather folios. Its almost no extra work and I have had interviewers ask for it in the past even when they dont mention it before hand.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:17 am

If the firm is asking yes. But otherwise no.

sap

Postby sap » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:39 am

Who should I be addressing my OCI cover letters to? My plan was to address to the interviewer, but then if there are any last minute changes, I may end up looking like an idiot.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:30 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

sap

Postby sap » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Only three, but I'm writing them for everyone just in case I can't read. I'm not going to hand it over unless they ask for it, but this way I have peace of mind about accidentally underpreparing.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:12 pm

sap wrote:Only three, but I'm writing them for everyone just in case I can't read. I'm not going to hand it over unless they ask for it, but this way I have peace of mind about accidentally underpreparing.

Spend your time doing something more productive. Though, writing a cover letter and prepping for an interview might have enough overlap where it is still helpful, now that I think about it.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:58 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
sap wrote:Who should I be addressing my OCI cover letters to? My plan was to address to the interviewer, but then if there are any last minute changes, I may end up looking like an idiot.

I addressed mine to the interviewer. I figure it's better than "To Whom It May Concern" and I'm hoping that if they switch the interviewer they'll understand our mistake.

BTW, the only firm I'm interviewing with that indicated that we should bring a cover letter was WSGR... Are a lot of the firms you're interviewing with requesting them?

Oh, I had a question about this. I'm interviewing with WSGR and the interviewer is from a different office than the one where I want to work. Should I still address it to the interviewer at their home office, or do a generic "Dear Hiring Partner" for the address of the office I want? No office-specific recruiting contact is on WSGR's website.

sap

Postby sap » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:08 am

No13baby wrote:Oh, I had a question about this. I'm interviewing with WSGR and the interviewer is from a different office than the one where I want to work. Should I still address it to the interviewer at their home office, or do a generic "Dear Hiring Partner" for the address of the office I want? No office-specific recruiting contact is on WSGR's website.

Check harder. I was up in a secondary market city earlier, and I found the hiring partner at that office. I think it was by googling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:41 am

No, I don't think it's necessary. And if they specifically ask for one, don't spend more time than necessary on it. I remember for myself, I brought CLs to my OCI screeners and felt stupid because nobody asked for them or really wanted them.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:14 am

To be clear, the purpose of a cover letter is to introduce your materials. Thus, there is absolutely no reason to ever bring a cover letter to an interview.

Return to “Legal Employment”