Early Callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cdelgado

Early Callbacks

Postby cdelgado » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:52 am

Any anecdotal evidence as to whether early callbacks from mass mails yield more offers than during normal OCI?

Also, in an early callback situation, is a firm likely to extend an offer before/during its OCI recruitment or wait until after?

I'm not really familiar with this situation and having some trouble finding others who have been through mass mail early OCI.

If it makes any difference, my situation is a V20 firm.

Anonymous User

Re: Early Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:45 pm

In my opinion, It depends upon the market and the firm. Biglaw firms in NY and other larger markets usually make offers on a rolling basis. So an early callback may yield an early offer. However, some smaller firms, especially in smaller markets interview all of the candidates they are considering before extending offers. So even if you do your callback in August, you still may not receive an offer, or a rejection, until October. This happened to me last year and to be honest I think it hurt me a little. Callback was in early August, but the firm was still performing callbacks until October. They told me they would hold off on decisions until then. While my interview was great, had relevant work experience etc. I didn't receive an offer. It could have been because I suck, but I believe a person interviewing closer to "decision date" has an advantage because the impression they leave on the interviewers may still "fresh" come decision time. But who knows to be honest.

Also there is a firm in my market that is notorious for extending really early callbacks and offers (like they end of July), which also can cause a dilemma because the 28 days normally expire before students have had a chance to complete their interviewing. So they either accept out of fear or let it expire and roll the dice. The firm does this to T14 students with ties to the area all the time to try and bolster their SA class.

Over all the rule of thumb is to go on your callback as soon as possible, but these are just some things to consider. If the V20 is at the top of your list, I would get it done as soon as possible. At the longest you may have to wait a few weeks to hear back. But many get back to you within less than a week. Good Luck!

cdelgado

Re: Early Callbacks

Postby cdelgado » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Thank you for the detailed info. I really appreciate it.

This was arranged very quickly and I was hoping because of the veracity of it I might hear sooner.

Major firm, secondary market.

Return to “Legal Employment”