Yale FIP 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Yale FIP 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Has anyone heard back from Cleary post-CB yet? I had a CB early last week and am starting to suspect I may have been dinged already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:41 pm

CB invitation from Freshfields (NYC) today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Have you guys started hearing back from firms post-CB? Really no sense of what turn-around should be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have you guys started hearing back from firms post-CB? Really no sense of what turn-around should be.
From my own experience, and talking to a couple of friends, most NY firms seem to make an offer by phone call 1-3 days after a CB, and rejections usually take a little longer - a week is common. That said, there seem to to be a few outliers that give offers on the spot or a week or more after the CB.

I have 3 offers and two rejections already, following that pattern.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have you guys started hearing back from firms post-CB? Really no sense of what turn-around should be.
From my own experience, and talking to a couple of friends, most NY firms seem to make an offer by phone call 1-3 days after a CB, and rejections usually take a little longer - a week is common. That said, there seem to to be a few outliers that give offers on the spot or a week or more after the CB.

I have 3 offers and two rejections already, following that pattern.
My experience has been similar. I have two offers and am waiting on another four firms. But two of the CBs were from last week, and I know that others who did interviews on the same day or after have since gotten offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:21 pm

anyone got a DPW offer? when is their offerees party/dinner in new haven?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Any non-NY offers yet? Phone alarmingly quiet from Cali so far...

Also, is anyone else sending e-mail/web applications to non-FIP firms? Anyone got any responses yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any non-NY offers yet? Phone alarmingly quiet from Cali so far...

Also, is anyone else sending e-mail/web applications to non-FIP firms? Anyone got any responses yet?
I sent probably a couple of dozen - half to New York and half to a secondary market (not in CA). From the NY firms, I've gotten straight dings. I seemed to do quite well with similar firms through FIP, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Had no luck with the secondary market either, until I told some of the firms I'd be in town for a FIP CB. At that point, a couple replied to my email and invited me for CBs while I was in town (sans screener). The rest just ignored me, and have started sending me ding emails/letters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any non-NY offers yet? Phone alarmingly quiet from Cali so far...

I sent probably a couple of dozen - half to New York and half to a secondary market (not in CA). From the NY firms, I've gotten straight dings. I seemed to do quite well with similar firms through FIP, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Had no luck with the secondary market either, until I told some of the firms I'd be in town for a FIP CB. At that point, a couple replied to my email and invited me for CBs while I was in town (sans screener). The rest just ignored me, and have started sending me ding emails/letters.
I was surprised at how poor the FIP coverage was, even for CA. Given that there are always a few people going to LA, SF, SV, Dallas, and Houston, you'd think that CDO could at least provide more advice for non-FIP applications - or at least have some kind of "official resume drop" system so our apps don't go in the same pile as the thousands of other e-mailed resumes. Not everyone's happy to spend a couple of years in NY before lateraling to where they really want to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:49 pm

I've gotten offers outside of the NY market--one Cali, two Chicago, and one DC. All were from FIP firms so I don't know much about mailing firms that did not participate in FIP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was surprised at how poor the FIP coverage was, even for CA. Given that there are always a few people going to LA, SF, SV, Dallas, and Houston, you'd think that CDO could at least provide more advice for non-FIP applications - or at least have some kind of "official resume drop" system so our apps don't go in the same pile as the thousands of other e-mailed resumes. Not everyone's happy to spend a couple of years in NY before lateraling to where they really want to be.
As a rising 3L at YLS, please don't expect anything from CDO other than a reminder to fill out your employment data and survey requests. They are literally the most incompetent halfwits I've ever had the dissatisfaction of working with, and they make career services at my TTT undergrad look absolutely godlike by comparison. Just read TLS, target firms outside of FIP on your own, and you'll be fine, no matter the market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Reporting KE LA offer (about a week after the callback). Doing the "I won't be unemployed next summer" dance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reporting KE LA offer (about a week after the callback). Doing the "I won't be unemployed next summer" dance.
Congratulations! From what I'be heard, CA an be a tough market.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Reporting KE LA offer (about a week after the callback). Doing the "I won't be unemployed next summer" dance.
Congratulations! From what I'be heard, CA an be a tough market.
I think SoCal is particularly nasty this year - SF has had a good professional services recovery, SV has tech keeping up demand, whereas LA has insanely high office vacancy rates downtown (US Bank tower is half empty, although that might be as much to do with its terrible 1980s interiors as the economy), suggesting that the kind of big businesses that hire big law firms are still not really there. Plus, the market for sexual harassment lawyers in SD just suffered a severe drop...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:35 pm

I did a CB there and really liked the folks in that office. Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did a CB there and really liked the folks in that office. Congrats!
Thanks, and good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

As a rising 3L at YLS, please don't expect anything from CDO other than a reminder to fill out your employment data and survey requests. They are literally the most incompetent halfwits I've ever had the dissatisfaction of working with, and they make career services at my TTT undergrad look absolutely godlike by comparison. Just read TLS, target firms outside of FIP on your own, and you'll be fine, no matter the market.
+1 from another 3L. If you think CDO is bad for FIP, just wait until you start applying for clerkships. Get your information about firms and clerkships from 3Ls. Most of us are friendly and happy to chat about our experiences and we will be a MUCH better resource than CDO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”