How many screeners/day is too many?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How many screeners/day is too many?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:24 pm

Is there such a thing as too many screeners in a single day?

I have two days next week with eight and nine scheduled, respectively, (and there are a few firms that haven't made invites yet, so it's possible that I'll end up with more). I'm worried that by late afternoon I'll lose the ability to sound even remotely engaged or genuine and will, instead, start sounding like a robot.

My T2 is 100% preselect there are a few firms I could drop from my schedule without much regret. Still, I'm wary of giving up any interviews, because, uh, even though I'm at the very top of my class, I'm still at a T2. On the other hand, I'd rather wow the firms I'm very interested in than bore all of them for the sake of interviewing with firms I'm not that high on.

Pokemon

Re: How many screeners/day is too many?

Postby Pokemon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there such a thing as too many screeners in a single day?

I have two days next week with eight and nine scheduled, respectively, (and there are a few firms that haven't made invites yet, so it's possible that I'll end up with more). I'm worried that by late afternoon I'll lose the ability to sound even remotely engaged or genuine and will, instead, start sounding like a robot.

My T2 is 100% preselect there are a few firms I could drop from my schedule without much regret. Still, I'm wary of giving up any interviews, because, uh, even though I'm at the very top of my class, I'm still at a T2. On the other hand, I'd rather wow the firms I'm very interested in than bore all of them for the sake of interviewing with firms I'm not that high on.

8-9 is a little too much... however this does not mean you should drop any of them. If you do, then you deserve to be forced to write on a black board, "I will never cancel a firm interview again" about 10,000 times.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:39 pm

I know a kid who had 17 in one day at one of the fairs and was fine. But he's a bit of a freak candidate--stellar grades and impeccable IP credentials. He'll be fending firms off with a stick even if he falls asleep mid-interview.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know a kid who had 17 in one day at one of the fairs and was fine. But he's a bit of a freak candidate--stellar grades and impeccable IP credentials. He'll be fending firms off with a stick even if he falls asleep mid-interview.

Lies, lies, lies
20 minutes X 17 = 340 = 5 hours and 40 minutes!!
10 minute break between them. 10 X (17-1) = 160 = 2 hours and 40 minutes.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Layola runs from 9:30 to 5:00, with 20 mins interview and 5 mins in between. So you can have up to 18 interviews in a day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know a kid who had 17 in one day at one of the fairs and was fine. But he's a bit of a freak candidate--stellar grades and impeccable IP credentials. He'll be fending firms off with a stick even if he falls asleep mid-interview.

Lies, lies, lies
20 minutes X 17 = 340 = 5 hours and 40 minutes!!
10 minute break between them. 10 X (17-1) = 160 = 2 hours and 40 minutes.

He also had 14 in one day at another fair. I saw his schedule (and I saw him have zero down time in the waiting room).
Obviously an outlier, though.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:56 pm

kyle010723 wrote:Layola runs from 9:30 to 5:00, with 20 mins interview and 5 mins in between. So you can have up to 18 interviews in a day.

I had 12 or 13 at Loyola one day and maybe 9 or so the next. I had a lunch break when the interviewers did. It was bordering on mind numbing on some, but overall it was not too bad. Depends on the interviewer and what (the same) questions are being asked.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Ashamed, I take back all my previous statements. :oops:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:19 pm

I did 10 in a day (blocks of 4/4/2) and it was fine. Just have you A game ready and don't take any individual interview too seriously. You'll hit auto pilot after like the 2nd interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did 10 in a day (blocks of 4/4/2) and it was fine. Just have you A game ready and don't take any individual interview too seriously. You'll hit auto pilot after like the 2nd interview.

I had something like 9/10/7 over three days and made it through without too much difficulty. As long as they aren't super far apart, you'll be fine. It helps do to lots of prep beforehand (i.e., have a cheat-sheet for each firm/interviewer with their selling points and questions to ask and review it in the few minutes before each interview), but it's definitely do-able. Admittedly, some of your interviews towards the end of the day may be less energetic, but that's not always a bad thing and if you try to keep an eye on it, you can try to keep fresh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:14 pm

I think my worst was 12 or 13.

If you can't handle making conversation / talking about yourself for a 8-9 hours a day, you're going to flame the fuck out in your first year of BigLaw; you'll be asked to do way more taxing things damn near everyday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:23 pm

Loyola max/day is 16 so only way to have more is lunch or pre/post official schedule.... Which wouldn't show up on someone's schedule.

That said, I had 11 one of the two days and it wasn't unbearable. The worst is the multi hour blocks of back to back to back interviews. I was certainly not on my A game by the fifth or sixth interview in a row but had time to regroup after that set for the ones after with gaps between.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think my worst was 12 or 13.

If you can't handle making conversation / talking about yourself for a 8-9 hours a day, you're going to flame the fuck out in your first year of BigLaw; you'll be asked to do way more taxing things damn near everyday.

Without trying to go too far into the "oh guys, life is so hard in biglaw" shtick, this is actually a pretty realistic point. If the lackluster state of the legal hiring market isn't the motivation you need to do all of your interviews, think of this as practice for the week you will almost surely have where you spend 10-12 hours straight with your client going through draft documents, except that you'll then get to spend the next 6-8 hours drafting all of the revisions so that you can wake up 5 hours later and do the same thing again for the next three days. Obviously trying to impress people and stay on your game is a huge (and tiring) part of OCI, but it doesn't change when you get put in front of clients. So get your game face on and get excited for the opportunity - you've worked hard for this, and you should do it right.
Last edited by FlightoftheEarls on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:21 pm

OP here.

Thanks, all. I'm following the consensus (which admittedly confirms my own instincts) and keeping all of them.
Anonymous User wrote:If you can't handle making conversation / talking about yourself for a 8-9 hours a day, you're going to flame the fuck out in your first year of BigLaw; you'll be asked to do way more taxing things damn near everyday.

This is a very good point. Thank you for the reminder/smack back to reality - it's greatly appreciated.

(Edited for a typo.)

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:03 pm

I had 9 and 9 on back-to-back days. I found it to be quite exhausting. My last 2-3 interviews each day were not stellar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Thanks, all. I'm following the consensus (which admittedly confirms my own instincts) and keeping all of them.
Anonymous User wrote:If you can't handle making conversation / talking about yourself for a 8-9 hours a day, you're going to flame the fuck out in your first year of BigLaw; you'll be asked to do way more taxing things damn near everyday.

This is a very good point. Thank you for the reminder/smack back to reality - it's greatly appreciated.

(Edited for a typo.)

I agree. I had 9+ interviews several times as a law student. I would take that any day over being told I will be working around the clock to make the client's morning deadline and my work still has to be flawless. Also, if you turn any down and then don't get a job, you will never forgive yourself. It isn't over-dramatizing to say that OCI is your only chance to win the law school lottery ITE.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:21 pm

I'm currently scheduled to have close to 40...with a few days hitting 10.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Loyola max/day is 16 so only way to have more is lunch or pre/post official schedule.... Which wouldn't show up on someone's schedule.

Some people do get 17 screeners in a day at PLIP because the organizers can schedule an official interview at the beginning of the lunch break.

OP: having eight or nine screeners in a day is exhausting, but it's certainly possible, and as someone else said it's much easier than some of the things you'll have to do in big law. Write down good and well-organized notes ahead of time and come up with a system for getting through them. You'll still have some breaks between interviews to skim your notes and brush up.

EMH99

Postby EMH99 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Also, if you turn any down and then don't get a job, you will never forgive yourself. It isn't over-dramatizing to say that OCI is your only chance to win the law school lottery ITE.

TITCR

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:54 am

I was terrified of being tired, being a terrible interviewer, etc.

I had 31 over the course of 3 days. It was honestly a breeze. You just get on auto-pilot and say basically the same thing in each interview. The only slight issue is that towards the end of the day they all start to bleed together and you can't remember if you are repeating yourself in the same interview. But at that point, you can just make light of it: "Sorry, did I say that already? This is my 9th interview and they are all starting to bleed together a bit!" The interviewers don't care, usually express sympathy, talk about how they are tired too or how the whole process is crazy, etc. This is not like i-banking where interviews can be grueling. You are literally just asking a bunch of people, "So why did you choose your firm?". It's all easy, breezy.

That said:

1) make sure you have enough time to get in between interviews. For where I was, 20 minutes was a good rule of thumb. This allowed for the interviewer to go over the limit, and still have enough time to get to the next one and briefly prep. I had one 10-minute gap, and I fucked up the first interview because I was worried we had gone over and awkwardly ended the interview (and it was actually not even over yet).

2) Prep ahead of time as much as possible, and have a cheat sheet so that when you wait for the next interview you can remind yourself about the next firm.

3) Practice interviewing a bunch, with lots of friends, career services, etc. That way, you settle into a script that you can basically rock during your interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:15 pm

How important is it to go to the firms hospitality suites?

I have 8 on the first day with a 3 hour break after the first 4 before I meet with some of my top choices. I have never had "a real" interview with a law firm. I think it would be best for me to head over to the gym and go for a 40 minute run, shower, redress and ship back over in order to get a second wind.... especially if I feel anxious about how the first 4 went.

I understand there will be hospitality suites going on at this time, but there is also stuff going on at night and I just feel if I don't have some type of exercise in this process, I will be less sharp, upbeat and likable in my interviews themselves. Interviews are a different animal, but I chalk doing well in 1L largely up to my daily runs.

Return to “Legal Employment”