Moral Quandary...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moral Quandary...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:22 pm

The facts: I may end up taking a job that pays twice what I currently make. I like my current firm but pay sucks. I love the second firm but am uncertain as to whether I will receive an offer; I am at 75%. I've been told by 2nd firm that I should expect it to take a while because of their hiring process just having a lot of hurdles and taking a lot of time. I was essentially told it could be up to six weeks (or four weeks from now).

The issue is that at my current firm, we are approaching a big trial on which a few million rides. Although I am a first year, I was given the case and even though we are barreling through discovery right now, I am still the only attorney here that knows the last thing about what's going on in the case with much depth. Lead attorney has surface knowledge but seems to have forgotten that the trial is coming up (even with my reminders lol).

If I get the offer from firm two down the line, given the money and the fact that I fit in better there - I can't say no. But I'll be abandoning current firm with only two or three weeks left before the trial. So can I say yes if I get the offer? Or would that be wrong? It would feel sort of wrong...

It's only hypothetical right now bc no offer yet, but I ask bc I've been debating dropping hints to lead attorney and other associates who should get pulled in on the case that I may not be around for the end and so to wake up and catch up... Or just coming clean about interviewig elsewhere for financial and fit reasons... But then if no offer, I look like a disloyal ass (which I guess I am being).

I know, don't worry too much until an offer actually comes because it may not but I have really been wondering about etiquette in this and similar situations.

splitsplat

Re: Moral Quandary...

Postby splitsplat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:25 pm

couldnt you accept the offer with a delayed start in order to give your current firm enough time to get their shit together?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:33 pm

This is business. If they won't pay commensurate with other firms its their own fault for not properly staffing a trial with someone other than a first year...

Are you serious about telling them you're interviewing elsewhere? Haha if a first year told me that their ass would be gone so fast they wouldn't know what hit them. There are so many people desperate for jobs that I wouldn't waste my time training someone anymore if I knew they were trying to leave.

Notice is all you need to give. Two weeks and the rest is on them. You are employed at will and if they want to gamble with paying you crap money and hoping you'll be loyal for some reason then that's on them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:41 pm

I would consider asking firm two for three weeks, but for certain reasons, believe they would say no. Also, they may want me to be able to start only one week from the offer. I don't know what I would do in that event...

It is business, but it is going to be really painful for current firm to have people catching up, getting to know the client just weeks before it hits the fan, etc. I mean, I'm envisioning everyone here having to spend days and nights and weekends catching up... I'm not sure how it happened that Im the only attorney on the case right now, though, and to some extent, that IS on the partners, so maybe I shouldn't feel so bad?

Postby 2014 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:53 pm

I mean won't they be able to delay trial in light of the lead counsel being taken off the case? I don't know how these things work in practice, but that sounds like a persuasive reason for delay.

If that's the case they will be fine. It will cost them a little more in preparation, but the other attorneys will have time to catch up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:05 pm

2014 wrote:I mean won't they be able to delay trial in light of the lead counsel being taken off the case? I don't know how these things work in practice, but that sounds like a persuasive reason for delay.

If that's the case they will be fine. It will cost them a little more in preparation, but the other attorneys will have time to catch up.

The humor in this is that I'm a first year associate (and also not named lead counsel)... I'd love to see them file a motion for continuance based on the departure of a first year. I'm sure it's been done, so perhaps you're right and I have nothing to be concerned with. The new associate(s) on the case will just have to eat some hours catching up, if I get the opportunity to leave, that is.

Otherwise, I may be trying this case all by my lonesome in a month or two here given how things are going. Which undoubtedly would be fun as hell.

okinawa

Postby okinawa » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:10 pm

Start taking detailed notes on the things that you are doing, things that still need to be done, etc. Write a departure memo in re: the case that summarizes where to find everything. It can be like 5-10 pages if it needs to be. Then just do what's best for you, which it sounds like is taking a new job.

They might still be pissed at you but honestly, them being super happy with you won't save your job if they need to cut someone, nor will your turning down a much better, higher paid job force them to give you a raise or even a "thanks." Don't be a dick about it and make it harder than it should be for them to catch up, but think about your own future.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:42 pm

okinawa wrote:Start taking detailed notes on the things that you are doing, things that still need to be done, etc. Write a departure memo in re: the case that summarizes where to find everything. It can be like 5-10 pages if it needs to be. Then just do what's best for you, which it sounds like is taking a new job.

They might still be pissed at you but honestly, them being super happy with you won't save your job if they need to cut someone, nor will your turning down a much better, higher paid job force them to give you a raise or even a "thanks." Don't be a dick about it and make it harder than it should be for them to catch up, but think about your own future.

I honestly had not thought of a departure memo - that's a really great idea. I appreciate it. If I go that route, could I even just give one week notice or is two standard and the right thing to do?

okinawa

Postby okinawa » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I honestly had not thought of a departure memo - that's a really great idea. I appreciate it. If I go that route, could I even just give one week notice or is two standard and the right thing to do?

give as much time as you can give. If you're told that you have to start within a week for the new place, what are you going to do, turn it down? But if they give you 2+ weeks, then give 2+ weeks notice.

Return to “Legal Employment”