Good reasons for not accepting full time offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Good reasons for not accepting full time offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:44 pm

So I got an offer from my summer program today, basic big law. However, I really dont want to work at the particular firm. I am considering contacting my career services to see if they can help me market myself to another firm in which I would be a better fit.

There are many reasons I do not wish to continue working at this firm after graduation, but does anyone have any advice as to what would be the best reason to tell career services/other firms that will make them not think negatively of me?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: Good reasons for not accepting full time offer

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I got an offer from my summer program today, basic big law. However, I really dont want to work at the particular firm. I am considering contacting my career services to see if they can help me market myself to another firm in which I would be a better fit.

There are many reasons I do not wish to continue working at this firm after graduation, but does anyone have any advice as to what would be the best reason to tell career services/other firms that will make them not think negatively of me?
Practice area is one way to go. I summered at X bc I thought I wanted to focus on Y area. I loved X and they offered me. But I want to do Z and your firm has a great practice area in Z. That's why I contacted you for this interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:59 pm

Take the offer and don't look back. Nothing worse on earth than being an unemployed loser like me, you don't want that to happen to you. Take it. Forget about what practice area you love or whatever other reason you are making for not taking it. None of that matters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Take the offer and don't look back. Nothing worse on earth than being an unemployed loser like me, you don't want that to happen to you. Take it. Forget about what practice area you love or whatever other reason you are making for not taking it. None of that matters.
I would do this--but for argument's sake, can we consider that the firm that extended the offer sincerely asked me not to return. So basically more of a no offer in offer form

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Take the offer and don't look back. Nothing worse on earth than being an unemployed loser like me, you don't want that to happen to you. Take it. Forget about what practice area you love or whatever other reason you are making for not taking it. None of that matters.
I would do this--but for argument's sake, can we consider that the firm that extended the offer sincerely asked me not to return. So basically more of a no offer in offer form
Ok this is a cold offer. Well then accept it and then weave whatever story you want to try and get a real offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

olive16

Bronze

Post by olive16 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:but for argument's sake, can we consider that the firm that extended the offer sincerely asked me not to return. So basically more of a no offer in offer form
Explain this, I'm not following you.

I don't know your grades or where you go to school, but if you have a biglaw offer in hand, I would very SERIOUSLY consider accepting it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:14 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ok this is a cold offer. Well then accept it and then weave whatever story you want to try and get a real offer.
Don't accept a cold offer. Just sincerely ask the offerer to keep it "open" while you leverage that with other firms. Practice group needs would be a great reason to want to look elsewhere. Perhaps ask the offering firm (or someone who actually liked you) to be a reference and offer the reference to other firms. I think the offering firm would love for you to land something else so they probably wouldn't mind helping if you do most of the work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't accept a cold offer. Just sincerely ask the offerer to keep it "open" while you leverage that with other firms. Practice group needs would be a great reason to want to look elsewhere. Perhaps ask the offering firm (or someone who actually liked you) to be a reference and offer the reference to other firms. I think the offering firm would love for you to land something else so they probably wouldn't mind helping if you do most of the work.
Would an associate reference be okay or would it need to be a partner reference

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Would an associate reference be okay or would it need to be a partner reference
I think someone who can meaningfully talked about the good work you did. It's actually probably better to be a more senior associate because they wouldn't have any idea about your being cold offered or the circumstances around it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iLaw

New

Post by iLaw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:Don't accept a cold offer. Just sincerely ask the offerer to keep it "open" while you leverage that with other firms. Practice group needs would be a great reason to want to look elsewhere. Perhaps ask the offering firm (or someone who actually liked you) to be a reference and offer the reference to other firms. I think the offering firm would love for you to land something else so they probably wouldn't mind helping if you do most of the work.
Looking to pass along advice to a friend who finished his SA last week and still has not heard back from the firm. My friend should go to OCI and say what exactly? If he says he really likes his SA firm the OCI recruiter could conceivably think he is only a pawn and shy away from making an offer (or extending a callback, however that works at this stage of the game). I guess what I am really wondering, how does a typical recruiter assess the situation when he hears that the SA firm has still not decided.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:39 pm

iLaw wrote: Looking to pass along advice to a friend who finished his SA last week and still has not heard back from the firm. My friend should go to OCI and say what exactly? If he says he really likes his SA firm the OCI recruiter could conceivably think he is only a pawn and shy away from making an offer (or extending a callback, however that works at this stage of the game). I guess what I am really wondering, how does a typical recruiter assess the situation when he hears that the SA firm has still not decided.
I think if the firm is known to not give quick offers, then just say they firm have not yet decided on offers to the entire class (if that's true). Don't focus on that, focus instead on why he would want this new firm over his summer firm. It's quite normal for non-NYC firms to take a while to assess the summers and the needs for the following year, and OCI is getting earlier and earlier. Remember everyone bid on 3L OCI before summer programs were over, so obviously everyone had their own reasons to do so regardless of whether they got an offer or not.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Would an associate reference be okay or would it need to be a partner reference
Did they say why they were giving you a cold offer? If it was poor reviews, you should ask to see your reviews before seeking a reference.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:01 pm

Last resort (assuming you can't find something before the offer expires): accept the cold offer and keep hunting.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Offers are supposed to stay open to Nov. 1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”