Partner encouraging me to apply for SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Partner encouraging me to apply for SA

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:36 pm

Dual degree candidate graduating in 2016. Sent resume/cover letter to HR. Received an email from a partner a couple hours later saying along the lines of "you have an impressive background, I encourage you to contact me next summer because we only except applicants going into their last year of law school". Does this mean a guaranteed screening interview or CB next summer?

Kikero

Silver

Re: Partner encouraging me to apply for SA

Post by Kikero » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:46 pm

My guess is that it's positive, but that you're reading way too much into it if you think the guy is guaranteeing you anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dual degree candidate graduating in 2016. Sent resume/cover letter to HR. Received an email from a partner a couple hours later saying along the lines of "you have an impressive background, I encourage you to contact me next summer because we only except applicants going into their last year of law school". Does this mean a guaranteed screening interview or CB next summer?
Depends. Nothing is guaranteed. Without getting into too much detail, I have gotten BURNED this way in a much more formal arrangement. One year is also really far off. My burning happened in the span of 2-3 months. Sorry I can't go into more detail, but trust me I had much more commitment than "contact me because you're impressive."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dual degree candidate graduating in 2016. Sent resume/cover letter to HR. Received an email from a partner a couple hours later saying along the lines of "you have an impressive background, I encourage you to contact me next summer because we only except applicants going into their last year of law school". Does this mean a guaranteed screening interview or CB next summer?
Depends. Nothing is guaranteed. Without getting into too much detail, I have gotten BURNED this way in a much more formal arrangement. One year is also really far off. My burning happened in the span of 2-3 months. Sorry I can't go into more detail, but trust me I had much more commitment than "contact me because you're impressive."
Yes, I'm aware nothing is guaranteed. I guess I meant more along the line of a LIKELY screening interview/CB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:03 pm

It does not sound bad, though that language sounds pretty standard-form. Honestly, it probably means next to nothing IMO. Obviously they do not hate you, but in 1 year its not very likely that partner will specifically remember that 1 e-mail. HR could decide next summer they arbitrarily do not want you, or the firm could tank, or the partner could retire to the Keys... Who knows... Just apply again next year as expected, but do not put all your eggs into getting a CB->offer based on this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It does not sound bad, though that language sounds pretty standard-form. Honestly, it probably means next to nothing IMO. Obviously they do not hate you, but in 1 year its not very likely that partner will specifically remember that 1 e-mail. HR could decide next summer they arbitrarily do not want you, or the firm could tank, or the partner could retire to the Keys... Who knows... Just apply again next year as expected, but do not put all your eggs into getting a CB->offer based on this.
Yes, I understand 1 year from now is a long time, but FWIW I plan on doing an informational interview with the partner and am going to try and stay in touch throughout the year.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, I understand 1 year from now is a long time, but FWIW I plan on doing an informational interview with the partner and am going to try and stay in touch throughout the year.
Cool. Best of luck. Just do not think anything is a "sure thing" ITE, though as a viewer of these forums I assume you already knew that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”