Reporting Misdemeanor at OCI/CB

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reporting Misdemeanor at OCI/CB

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Im in a state where driving *certain* speeds can, incredibly, result in a misdemeanor conviction. And, apparently, this is a fairly likely outcome for me (i.e. no leniency/reduction) because I have prior speeding tickets. Anyways, the technicalities of the ticket are not important.

What is important is how to handle this at OCI/CBs. I should know if I will have the conviction (or if it will be reduced) in the next 2 weeks. This is literally a speeding ticket - not a DUI or some drug possession thing. Im wondering how/if it needs to be broached, and what an employer may make of it.

msridiculous447

Re: Reporting Misdemeanor at OCI/CB

Postby msridiculous447 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Please don't awkwardly bring up a speeding ticket at OCI. That's totally unnecessary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:48 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:Please don't awkwardly bring up a speeding ticket at OCI. That's totally unnecessary.

Ok, like I said, this is likely sticking as misdemeanor. It's not a simple speeding ticket which would be considered no more than a "violation".

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
msridiculous447 wrote:Please don't awkwardly bring up a speeding ticket at OCI. That's totally unnecessary.

Ok, like I said, this is likely sticking as misdemeanor. It's not a simple speeding ticket which would be considered no more than a "violation".

I just don't understand what is going to be gained by bringing it up. If you get an offer and anticipate a background check, bring it up then.

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:31 pm

If you are not asked do not disclose. VA's reckless laws are really stupid.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Not only should this be disclosed forthwith, it's also probably best to show up with a vial of recently passed urine and hand it to the guy at your screener to save him from having to ask you for a sample for your drug test. It's just common courtesy.

(But seriously, don't bring this up.)

mrsmartypants

Postby mrsmartypants » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:12 pm

I think the only thing most employers really care about is whether you can be licensed in their jurisdiction. As an interviewer, I can say that I really wouldn't care about a speeding ticket (though you've admitted to a pattern of these, which is a somewhat different fact).

Speaking of licensure, you should certainly investigate whether and how you need to update the bar gestapo in your state, if you already have an application pending. Some states want to be updated of absolutely anything that happens to you of a legal/disciplinary nature, and others will permit you not to report "minor traffic violations," where that term can have different definitions (e.g., any traffic violation having a fine less than X).

In Texas, for example, the minimum infraction is a Class C misdemeanor; there's no such thing as a "violation." It's been a long time, but I think TX lets you omit reporting violations where the fine is less than $100. Or maybe that's the USPTO; I can't remember.

Return to “Legal Employment”