interviewing with multiple attorneys at once

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

interviewing with multiple attorneys at once

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:27 pm

How do you guys handle this? I'm used to one on one but there are some interviews coming up with 2-3 interviewers at once. How should I approach this? What kind of questions should I ask? For example, do I ask questions that they can all individually answer ("hey, so what do you two/three like most about the firm?")? Or do I target certain questions to certain people? Any other tips? (sorry guys posting on phone)

Anonymous User

Re: interviewing with multiple attorneys at once

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:12 am

I had one once that was a 4 on 1 for a government job after 1L. It was really weird asking questions. You can't really ask how did you choose your practice area to four people. I had a 2 on 1 recently and I just asked questions as if they were one on one and they took turns answering. That one wasn't awkward at all.

Sorry I can't help much though. Maybe asking questions about the firm would be less awkward than asking questions like "how did you choose your practice area" since they can go off each others answers.

aliens

Re: interviewing with multiple attorneys at once

Postby aliens » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:41 am

I think you can ask questions that require all of them to answer. Like I might ask "how did each of you choose this firm?" or "what would a typical day be like for a new associate working in your practice group(s)?" They can then decide if they all want to answer or just have one or two answer.

I don't think picking out one attorney and asking that attorney a question is a good idea. Unless it's a follow up to something already said by one specific attorney.

Another good tip for interviews with multiple interviewers is to make good eye contact with all of them. You probably know this, but I struggle to do it, so I wanted to point it out.

Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”