2L end of SA permanent offer, when do you respond?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L end of SA permanent offer, when do you respond?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm a 2L and we will get calls about permanent offers in the next few weeks. I think I am on track to get an offer.

I'm not sure if I want to work at this firm. How quickly do I need to respond? Does it look bad if I don't accept immediately?

The firm is around 100 attorneys in a secondary market.

Anonymous User

Re: 2L end of SA permanent offer, when do you respond?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:42 am

They are required to give 28 days, you can ask for as long as you want (but they don't have to say yes)

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:They are required to give 28 days, you can ask for as long as you want (but they don't have to say yes)

Offers are supposed to stay open until November 1st but there really isn't anything stopping a firm from pulling an offer if they want to be assholes other than bad word of mouth.

ETA: I read somewhere here that if you are thinking about switching to public interest they need to gove you until April or something.

target

Postby target » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They are required to give 28 days, you can ask for as long as you want (but they don't have to say yes)

Offers are supposed to stay open until November 1st but there really isn't anything stopping a firm from pulling an offer if they want to be assholes other than bad word of mouth.

ETA: I read somewhere here that if you are thinking about switching to public interest they need to gove you until April or something.

aren't these just NALP rules? If your firm is not a NALP member firm, they can do whatever they want. Also, ask your coordinator.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:56 pm

target wrote:
Icculus wrote:

aren't these just NALP rules? If your firm is not a NALP member firm, they can do whatever they want. Also, ask your coordinator.

I was assuming NALP.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:39 pm

28 days is the time that firms are supposed to keep open 2L summer associate offers. For permanent offers, it is supposed to be until November 1. But there are lots of rumblings about firms pressing for responses sooner.

Is there any reason you wouldn't be able to respond right away? If you aren't sure that you want to work there, start looking into other options immediately. And try to find something else to replace it. If you have nothing and no leads when you get an offer, I'd accept

Return to “Legal Employment”