Firm CB from Mass Mail, Can I network first?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm CB from Mass Mail, Can I network first?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:36 pm

Callback at a well-ranked vault firm from mass mail. I usually like to network and have a connection at the office before interviewing (which was the plan, but I got the callback almost immediately after the mail).

Is it appropriate to email an atty in my desired practice area and ask some questions?

I like this because I can go into interviews with some basic knowledge, but I'm hesitant because it seems like I missed the boat of "showing early interest" and I'm guessing I can just wait and ask the questions at the CB..

Advice?

bk1

Re: Firm CB from Mass Mail, Can I network first?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:37 pm

I think it's a bit odd when you already have a callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:40 pm

bk1 wrote:I think it's a bit odd when you already have a callback.

Thanks for the advice. I do too. I just wish there were other resources to learn about the firm before I go.. I've scoured everything online.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:44 pm

Re: going straight to callback from mass mailing, can I reasonably expect, say, a >50% chance at an offer assuming I interview well? This is at a v100 office in a secondary market that takes about 3 summers. Ties to this market couldn't be stronger (born/raised/did UG).

Edit: I'm aware it's impossible to put a percentage on this, but would even a rough estimation be possible? Trying to not be over-optimistic.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: going straight to callback from mass mailing, can I reasonably expect, say, a >50% chance at an offer assuming I interview well? This is at a v100 office in a secondary market that takes about 3 summers. Ties to this market couldn't be stronger (born/raised/did UG).

Edit: I'm aware it's impossible to put a percentage on this, but would even a rough estimation be possible? Trying to not be over-optimistic.

Really firm dependent. I would say generally the smaller the class size the lower your CB-->Offer odds are. A firm with 3 summers is probably not going to interview 40x less students than say SullCrom with 120+ person classes. It is going to be many many times less, but I gather there is a baseline amount of people that firms tend to interview.

Again it's completely firm dependent though, I'm generalizing pretty hard there. Your odds could be anywhere as low as 10% to upwards of 50% depending on how they run their recruiting.

Return to “Legal Employment”