Median at lower T14 any point in interview with V10s at OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Median at lower T14 any point in interview with V10s at OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:52 am

So I thought it'd be really clever to bid a bunch of firms with a huge number of interview slots so I could maximize my number of interviews and not "waste" my lower bids. Of course, most of the firms with the biggest class sizes are the ones ranked highly on vault, and I ended up with 3 interviews with V10s (most of them didn't even fill all their bid slots at all).

Is it even worth it to do these interviews? Or should I just cancel them and focus on the ones I do have a chance at? I got a good number of interviews with target firms as well, and in total I ended up with 15+. I do want NYC if thats relevant, although Im also interested in my secondary market.

SportsFan

Re: Median at lower T14 any point in interview with V10s at OCI?

Postby SportsFan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:56 am

No reason not to do them! Use them to help practice your interviewing skills, if nothing else.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:00 pm

One or two of those will occasionally actually dip into your range (unless lower T14 is GULC).

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:04 pm

Why on earth would you give up an opportunity to interview?

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:12 pm

Why on earth would you cancel interviews? What sense does that make?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:14 pm

My concern would be that if I end up with like 20+ interviews (still waiting on waitlisted bids), I'd be too rushed during the week and not get a chance to focus on employers that are realistic for me. However, if I have a non-zero chance of getting a CB, I guess its worth it. Plus its true the practice interviewing wouldnt hurt either, so Ill keep them. Thanks for replies.

EDIT: anyone have any advice/strategies for interviewing with a reach employer??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My concern would be that if I end up with like 20+ interviews (still waiting on waitlisted bids), I'd be too rushed during the week and not get a chance to focus on employers that are realistic for me. However, if I have a non-zero chance of getting a CB, I guess its worth it. Plus its true the practice interviewing wouldnt hurt either, so Ill keep them. Thanks for replies.

EDIT: anyone have any advice/strategies for interviewing with a reach employer??

I think that when interview with a reach employer its going to be less about doing your research and knowing about the employer and more about selling yourself and letting your personality show through. Every student interviewing with a top firm is going to know every last detail about the firm. Therefore, in order for you to get a CB you have to be different. I would play up any connection you have with the interviewer constantly try to interject questions that get you both talking about something you enjoy whether or not it happens to be law related. These strategies have worked really well for me in any interview, but when your trying to hit one out the park I think its best to kinda stay away from the typical spewing stuff about the firm type interview and try to make a real connection in that 20 minutes. It might not happen, but then again you don't have much of a shot anyway so why not swing for the fences.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:22 pm

TooOld4This wrote:Why on earth would you give up an opportunity to interview?

soj

Postby soj » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:51 pm

unless you have 100 screeners, "i have too many interviews" is a lame excuse.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My concern would be that if I end up with like 20+ interviews (still waiting on waitlisted bids), I'd be too rushed during the week and not get a chance to focus on employers that are realistic for me. However, if I have a non-zero chance of getting a CB, I guess its worth it. Plus its true the practice interviewing wouldnt hurt either, so Ill keep them. Thanks for replies.

I think that when interview with a reach employer its going to be less about doing your research and knowing about the employer and more about selling yourself and letting your personality show through. Every student interviewing with a top firm is going to know every last detail about the firm. Therefore, in order for you to get a CB you have to be different. I would play up any connection you have with the interviewer constantly try to interject questions that get you both talking about something you enjoy whether or not it happens to be law related. These strategies have worked really well for me in any interview, but when your trying to hit one out the park I think its best to kinda stay away from the typical spewing stuff about the firm type interview and try to make a real connection in that 20 minutes. It might not happen, but then again you don't have much of a shot anyway so why not swing for the fences.

this is so, so rarely true...

and i think this is bad advice.

if you're within our standards, being a "good person to hangout with" is enough. if you're below our standards, you need to wow me with what a wonderful fit you would be for US.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:41 pm

itbdvorm wrote:this is so, so rarely true...

if you're within our standards, being a "good person to hangout with" is enough. if you're below our standards, you need to wow me with what a wonderful fit you would be for US.

itbdvorm, since you responded to this post i'm gonna ask here.

Say I'm below the firm standards, do you want a student to wow you with personality or work experience? I thought work experience would provide a stronger pull for a grade weaker student but what you said seems to say personality fit is more important for a below-standard-candidate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:09 pm

I'd actually like to piggyback off that question. I'm also a median at a lower T-14, and I believe I did a pretty good job of bidding (more than 20 screeners) primarily because I made sure to look at less selective firms and widen my outreach. With that being said, what advice would anyone give me as to how to prove ties to an area I'm not from, even NY or DC? I'm from CA and I don't go to Berkeley so I think that one of the reasons I have so many screeners is that not many people are gunning for the areas I am. I'm also looking at places like Austin, Denver, and Seattle, where I need to convince people that I can remain (and I really can!) for a long period of time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:18 pm

Hey itbdvorm,

In a previous message, you mentioned that if you're below the cutoff to be charming, witty, a "leader among men." Say I'm below .05-.1 of a firm's "preferred" range. Would you rather I show up as a lovable lawyer with a big smile, or a Harvey Specter "take no prisoners"?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Say I'm below the firm standards, do you want a student to wow you with personality or work experience? I thought work experience would provide a stronger pull for a grade weaker student but what you said seems to say personality fit is more important for a below-standard-candidate.

it's not "personality fit" - it's wowing me. telling me about how you found X case or deal (that we did) fascinating and you really like Y. wow me. impress me. discuss law at a thoughtful level. show me how you understand an industry.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It's obviously a combination of both. I try to imagine where the person would fit in the firm. What would they be doing at the firm? Why would they be better at it than all these other people we are interviewing who have better grades? Work experience and personality both play into this.

Return to “Legal Employment”