MoFo Tokyo/Other Asia Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MoFo Tokyo/Other Asia Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:18 am

Using the search function, I saw that a few of you have SAed in MoFo's Tokyo office, but were all anonymous. I am wondering if some of you are still around to answer my questions.

1. Are the hiring decisions made in SF, or does Tokyo independently do its own thing? For example, if I get a callback, is it a Skype callback with the Tokyo office, or do I go to SF? I imagine they won't be flying me out to Tokyo.

2. Should I be contacting people at SF or Tokyo if I wanted to make some connections prior to my interview?

I put "other Asia offices" because I feel like every other Asian office would be in the same boat as Tokyo. But maybe not, because MoFo's Tokyo operation is huge.

Anonymous User

Re: MoFo Tokyo/Other Asia Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:26 am

1) Tokyo. Video conf w/ Tokyo.

2) Tokyo

3) Tokyo is its own thing. However, if you apply generally and they feel you'd be a good fit for tokyo, your application usually gets sent to the Tokyo hr people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1) Tokyo. Video conf w/ Tokyo.

2) Tokyo

3) Tokyo is its own thing. However, if you apply generally and they feel you'd be a good fit for tokyo, your application usually gets sent to the Tokyo hr people.

Thanks.

Do you know the name of the hiring partner or people on the recruiting committee in Tokyo?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:09 pm

The HR person in charge of recruiting is Alex Nakaba - anakaba@mofo.com.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:20 am

2) Tokyo

This sums it up pretty. FYI Tokyo office has huge clout in the MoFo network as it's one of MoFo's most profitable offices. They're also constantly slammed with work so they're always looking to bring people to Tokyo that are interested in staying long-term. Awesome for getting substantive experience on big deals quickly, but can be tough if you a. Don't want to deal with long hours (some joke Tokyo is more NY than MoFo NY) or b. Can't handle the pressure of getting a lot of responsibility quickly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:

2) Tokyo

This sums it up pretty. FYI Tokyo office has huge clout in the MoFo network as it's one of MoFo's most profitable offices. They're also constantly slammed with work so they're always looking to bring people to Tokyo that are interested in staying long-term. Awesome for getting substantive experience on big deals quickly, but can be tough if you a. Don't want to deal with long hours (some joke Tokyo is more NY than MoFo NY) or b. Can't handle the pressure of getting a lot of responsibility quickly.

Thanks. How critical is fluency in Japanese? I am a native and very conversant but reading/writing can use some work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:28 am

That level is a very big plus factor, although as you can guess it would be even better if you could read and write well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:40 pm

i speak pretty limited japanese (conversational) but got a permanent offer. the working environment is basically all english, and most of the work is in english. if you speak fluent japanese however, you do get access to some work that people like me can't do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i speak pretty limited japanese (conversational) but got a permanent offer. the working environment is basically all english, and most of the work is in english. if you speak fluent japanese however, you do get access to some work that people like me can't do.

OP here. Any chance we can connect? I dunno how to do this if we are both anon. I am screening with the Tokyo office soon.

AnnoyingMouseUser

Postby AnnoyingMouseUser » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:48 pm

OP here with another account. Users above who have summered in the MoFo Tokyo office, could you please private message me? Thank you.

bengoshi

Postby bengoshi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:45 am

Sorry, I don't mean to tag along with AnnoyingMouseUser.

If anyone has worked or currently work with MoFo, could you please private message me? I am interested in working at MoFo-Tokyo and would like to hear more about this firm.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:04 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm curious how people did with law firms in Tokyo and don't mind posting their stats. Personally, I had screeners with MoFo, JD, and STB but didn't get any offers (CCN, top-third, fluent, worked a few years in Japan). Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:42 am

Also resurrecting this thread. Does anyone know if MoFo Tokyo is hiring 1Ls or 2Ls for this upcoming summer (summer 2015)? Their employment page says 1Ls at the top, but doesn't specify in the description. Also, is Japanese proficiency required?
MoFo careers site: http://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc03/ats/care ... OFO&cws=48

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also resurrecting this thread. Does anyone know if MoFo Tokyo is hiring 1Ls or 2Ls for this upcoming summer (summer 2015)? Their employment page says 1Ls at the top, but doesn't specify in the description. Also, is Japanese proficiency required?

can't speak to this year, but they normally would have those spots filled by now

Japanese proficiency isn't required for MoFo Tokyo, but language ability is obviously a huge, huge plus.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also resurrecting this thread. Does anyone know if MoFo Tokyo is hiring 1Ls or 2Ls for this upcoming summer (summer 2015)? Their employment page says 1Ls at the top, but doesn't specify in the description. Also, is Japanese proficiency required?

can't speak to this year, but they normally would have those spots filled by now

Japanese proficiency isn't required for MoFo Tokyo, but language ability is obviously a huge, huge plus.

Thanks. Last anon who "resurrected" the thread here. The link I posted is current, so I assumed they're still hiring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. Last anon who "resurrected" the thread here. The link I posted is current, so I assumed they're still hiring?

Just a PSA - they are still hiring 1Ls.

defdef

Postby defdef » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:27 pm

I won't be able to go this summer, but am definitely interested in a 2L summer over there - probably am going to send my application sooner rather than later.

I'm wondering if you're stuck with Tokyo once you're there - I've heard that it might be hard to get back to the States down the line once you've put down some roots in Asia. Is that true, or is the transactional work relevant enough to be valuable even if you move back to a west coast office?

Appreciate the responses!

Return to “Legal Employment”