New York Bar Exam Anxiety

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

New York Bar Exam Anxiety

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:50 pm

I've been rocking MBEs, but I feel like today's NY section completely kicked my ass. My questions are twofold:

1) How badly can you do on the NY day if you do pretty well on the MBE?

2) What happens at most firms if you fail the bar exam? Do you get another chance or do you get the boot?

Anonymous User

Re: New York Bar Exam Anxiety

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Depends on how good your MBE is. If you have a very strong MBE, you could do below average on every single essay and still pass. And of course right now it feels like you bombed, since you are probably only focusing on the areas you messed up or didn't know as well, and completely pushing aside the areas where you put down a perfectly acceptable answer. So stay positive, and make tomorrow count.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm

I felt the same way, and I'm guessing most did. The NYMC is always impossible, and the MPT was strange.

The MBE has always been my strong point as well, so I was kind of anticipating coming out of today feeling lousy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I felt the same way, and I'm guessing most did. The NYMC is always impossible, and the MPT was strange.

The MBE has always been my strong point as well, so I was kind of anticipating coming out of today feeling lousy.

Me too. NYMC was ridiculous like always, MPT was incredibly weird, and I doubt any 2 answers will look the same. But like I said, just focus on the positive. Yeah, I had like 2 or 3 sub issues where I genuinely didn't know, and made stuff up. And 1 that I literally didn't have time to address since I ran out of time. Yet I know I hit the vast majority of issues, so I can't let the negatives eclipse the positive. Ok, today is the hard day, and it is over. Tomorrow will be a lot less painful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 pm

OP here. Thanks for the encouragement. I got like 75/100 on the 100Q MBE thing for Barbri, which was the last MBE thing I did. I felt decent about that - if I pull it off tomorrow, can I pass even though I feel like I bombed today?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the encouragement. I got like 75/100 on the 100Q MBE thing for Barbri, which was the last MBE thing I did. I felt decent about that - if I pull it off tomorrow, can I pass even though I feel like I bombed today?

You got 75/100 on the simulated final exam from Barbri? Dude, you are an MBE genius.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:16 pm

Don't feel too bad. You couldn't have done worse than me. I ran out of time and didn't get to the multiple choice. I literally had to just pick B for more than half.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:06 am

newyorker88 wrote:Don't feel too bad. You couldn't have done worse than me. I ran out of time and didn't get to the multiple choice. I literally had to just pick B for more than half.

Me too. I got through half of the questions and then bubbled in B for the last 20 because I ran out of time. I also did not finish writing out my answer on the MPT despite giving myself a full 90 minutes.

I basically came home yesterday and cried for a couple of hours.

However, if it is any consolation, I'm from an Ivy and after talking to others from my school it seems like many people from my class didn't finish, finished at the expense of screwing up an essay majorly, or just christmas-treed the NYMC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:Don't feel too bad. You couldn't have done worse than me. I ran out of time and didn't get to the multiple choice. I literally had to just pick B for more than half.

Me too. I got through half of the questions and then bubbled in B for the last 20 because I ran out of time. I also did not finish writing out my answer on the MPT despite giving myself a full 90 minutes.

I basically came home yesterday and cried for a couple of hours.

However, if it is any consolation, I'm from an Ivy and after talking to others from my school it seems like many people from my class didn't finish, finished at the expense of screwing up an essay majorly, or just christmas-treed the NYMC.

OP here. Thank you, that actually is some consolation as it means there are a lot of smart people who are in exactly the same boat as us. I go to a non-ivy T-14 and left feeling like I must have been the only person at a school like mine who didn't ace that thing. I'm glad to know that maybe we actually are okay. Best of luck guys, at least it's over!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:28 am

Glad I found this thread for a little commiseration. I've been driving myself crazy for the past week. I graduated from a middle-of-the-pack law school with a 3.9 GPA, but I'm just not great with rote memorization, and studying for the NY essays was a genuine struggle for me. I know there's at least one major issue that I completely misconceived, several smaller issues that I fudged in part, and a lot of things that I got substantively right but might not have used the right buzz words to trigger a hurried grader. The MPT was a wild card, and the MBE felt fine, but I really have no clue how I did.

At this point I'm just hoping I cobbled together enough gimme points to squeak by. I wish I had some sort of window into how these things are really graded or what a barely passable essay (as opposed to the released sample answers) actually looks like. I also have no idea what my employer's policy is for retaking and am not comfortable asking, for obvious reasons.

Good luck everyone. I know it's going to be a long three months for me.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:14 pm

I thought it was a bit harder than I expected overall, especially the MBE, and I think that seems to be the consensus. Hopefully that will all come out in the wash.

Return to “Legal Employment”