M&A, Securities, SV focused firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
UMich11

M&A, Securities, SV focused firms

Postby UMich11 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:21 pm

I'll likely be starting at ND later this month as a 1L and i want to get a leg up on the networking to see what i can do, if anything to secure a 1L SA position. I know, i know i'm already behind the curve by going to ND, but i digress.

I'm coming off 2 years out of UG as a Senior Associate for a global boutique M&A firm (consulting/ibanking). I'd like to tackle this side of the law and was wondering what are the top firms, if anyone has experience doing interviews with them, etc? Ideally i'd like to be in the Midwest (chicago, Detroit, grand rapids), but i'd also consider California or Boston/DC. I know, wide swath, but no pref right now.

I know Jones Day is one of the top firms recruiting out of ND so obviously that'll be on my list and i've spoken to a few people there already.

I have good experience including working on deals ranging in value from $20m - $500m. I also ran a deal, overseeing a few junior associates. the deal closed in the mid $30m range.

any advice, other than don't go to ND and place in the top .01% of the class?
Last edited by UMich11 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mce252

Re: M&A, Securities, SV focused firms

Postby Mce252 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:36 pm

UMich11 wrote:I'll likely be starting at ND later this month as a 1L and i want to get a leg up on the networking to see what i can do, if anything to secure a 1L SA position. I know, i know i'm already behind the curve by going to ND, but i digress.

I'm coming off 2 years out of UG as a Senior Associate for a global boutique M&A firm. I'd like to tackle this side of the law and was wondering what are the top firms, if anyone has experience doing interviews with them, etc? I know Jones Day is one of the top firms recruiting out of ND so obviously that'll be on my list and i've spoken to a few people there already.

I have good experience including working on deals ranging in value from $20m - $500m. I also ran a deal, overseeing a few junior associates. the deal closed in the mid $30m range.

By global boutique M&A firm, do you mean investment banking, consulting, or what type of "firm"? That kind of experience can be valuable in OCI.

See here:

http://www.mergermarket.com/pdf/Mergerm ... Report.pdf

Go to page 6 to see the most active firms globally.

UMich11

Re: M&A, Securities, SV focused firms

Postby UMich11 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Mce252 wrote:
UMich11 wrote:I'll likely be starting at ND later this month as a 1L and i want to get a leg up on the networking to see what i can do, if anything to secure a 1L SA position. I know, i know i'm already behind the curve by going to ND, but i digress.

I'm coming off 2 years out of UG as a Senior Associate for a global boutique M&A firm. I'd like to tackle this side of the law and was wondering what are the top firms, if anyone has experience doing interviews with them, etc? I know Jones Day is one of the top firms recruiting out of ND so obviously that'll be on my list and i've spoken to a few people there already.

By global boutique M&A firm, do you mean investment banking, consulting, or what type of "firm"? That kind of experience can be valuable in OCI.

See here:

http://www.mergermarket.com/pdf/Mergerm ... Report.pdf

Go to page 6 to see the most active firms globally.

Sorry for that. It was a mixture of Consulting/IB Firm. I mostly dealt with mature companies, but also built out the practice for consulting startups since that was my background (i started a few companies in UG).

Thanks for that too!

Return to “Legal Employment”