1L Summer Internship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HershelWalker2.0

New

1L Summer Internship

Post by HershelWalker2.0 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Just got finished reading some threads for 0L's explaining the importance of working on Cover Letters and Resume in summer to avoid time crunch come December 1st. Clueless as to how this 1L Summer Internship process works. Curious what summer internship opportunities are appropriate for a 1L to apply for? Why do you apply before you get your 1L grades/what criteria do they deem most important? Just didn't want to apply for an internship that is geared toward 2l, 3L, or recent graduates and come across as naive about chances of being accepted for position. What types of 1L summer jobs are "prestigious", what are considered "waste of time", and is acceptance contingent upon them receiving your 1st semester grades?

P.S. I understand the answer may vary widely based on your own personal career goal, ranking of school, etc. but just curious about process.

jptw88

New

Re: 1L Summer Internship

Post by jptw88 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:13 am

In most cases the 1L Summer internship if found either through the school's career services or from personal connections. Many 1Ls go back to their home town/state during the summer and intern at a law office or state judge. The internships viewed as more "prestigious" during OCI are those at Federal Institutions; namely, Department of Justice, Department of Education etc.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:34 am

1L summer jobs don't matter much. Making $ is better than not making money, but otherwise, just do whatever you're interested in.

dj_roomba

New

Post by dj_roomba » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:55 am

Going off of OP's question: Are you allowed to apply for 1L SA before Dec 1?

The official rule is obviously you can only apply AFTER Dec. 1

I've also heard that for some firms you have to apply BEFORE Dec. 1 or around then because they have a deadline for 1L SAs around that time. This goes against the Dec. 1 rule but obviously they want you to apply before Dec 1 since that's the deadline. I actually heard this from multiple sources.

So are we supposed to apply before Dec. 1? I've been told that you should apply anyway, despite the NALP rule, since most people do it anyway and the interview spots get filled up quickly (obv. they won't give out offers yet, but firms will probably be less willing to give out additional screeners if they already have candidates)

Anyone who has experience applying know what we SHOULD do?

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:11 am

dj_roomba wrote:Going off of OP's question: Are you allowed to apply for 1L SA before Dec 1?

The official rule is obviously you can only apply AFTER Dec. 1

I've also heard that for some firms you have to apply BEFORE Dec. 1 or around then because they have a deadline for 1L SAs around that time. This goes against the Dec. 1 rule but obviously they want you to apply before Dec 1 since that's the deadline. I actually heard this from multiple sources.

So are we supposed to apply before Dec. 1? I've been told that you should apply anyway, despite the NALP rule, since most people do it anyway and the interview spots get filled up quickly (obv. they won't give out offers yet, but firms will probably be less willing to give out additional screeners if they already have candidates)

Anyone who has experience applying know what we SHOULD do?
You SHOULD look for jobs that aren't 1L SAs. Of those who get 1L SAs, applying on the 1st is fine. If you're really that worried, draft all of your emails in the interim and send them December 1. If a firm decides to take a 1L SA, they won't arbitrarily cut that off before December.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:45 am

You won't get a 1L SA. Use the forum search. And don't worry about this yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:49 am

If you are not white, look into the diversity 1L SAs. You qualify as long as you are not white. I am not white but not a URM. I got a V100 1L SA from a T2.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are not white, look into the diversity 1L SAs. You qualify as long as you are not white. I am not white but not a URM. I got a V100 1L SA from a T2.

I was a summer associate for 1L summer and the other 1L summer associate was white. She was a non-traditional student, had not worked for 10 years (stay at home mom) and had come out recently.

For 1L summer, any legal job is good. I suggested at least meeting with your OCS prior the end of November for resume review.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:19 pm

As others have mentioned, 1L jobs aren't as important as other factors. The right one can be fairly useful going through EIW though. I worked for a well-know company in the region I wanted to practice in and was able to meet and learn about a lot of the firms in the area. Mutual contacts between interviewers and my summer became a key part of my screening interviews and callbacks as well. It certainly won't trump your grades, but it can definitely make you a more memorable candidate and allow you to demonstrate your interest in XYZ practice area.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:41 pm

jptw88 wrote:In most cases the 1L Summer internship if found either through the school's career services or from personal connections. Many 1Ls go back to their home town/state during the summer and intern at a law office or state judge. The internships viewed as more "prestigious" during OCI are those at Federal Institutions; namely, Department of Justice, Department of Education etc.
Federal judicial internships can be considered prestigious, especially in certain jurisdictions.

FWIW I applied as soon after December 1 as possible for me and my schedule. I had the materials ready to go and mass mailed (snail mail) a few days after December 1. I had a couple weeks filled with interviews and then decided between offers by mid-January. Looking back it was completely worth it, especially since I did not take the time to develop a special relationship with someone who could help me find a position and I had offers before my grades came out (in case they were bad).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jptw88 wrote:In most cases the 1L Summer internship if found either through the school's career services or from personal connections. Many 1Ls go back to their home town/state during the summer and intern at a law office or state judge. The internships viewed as more "prestigious" during OCI are those at Federal Institutions; namely, Department of Justice, Department of Education etc.
Federal judicial internships can be considered prestigious, especially in certain jurisdictions.

FWIW I applied as soon after December 1 as possible for me and my schedule. I had the materials ready to go and mass mailed (snail mail) a few days after December 1. I had a couple weeks filled with interviews and then decided between offers by mid-January. Looking back it was completely worth it, especially since I did not take the time to develop a special relationship with someone who could help me find a position and I had offers before my grades came out (in case they were bad).

Federal judicial internships aren't prestigious 1L summer options.

harbin

New

Post by harbin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Prestige in 1L summer isn't the end all be all. I did something outside the box and had endless interviewers at OCI comment "I have never seen this on a resume before!" It was a great talking point, especially because unlike a judge the interviewers really had no clue what that office did so I got to talk about my interesting projects. (FYI: interned in the office of general counsel of a non-typical fed. gov. agency.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Federal judicial internships aren't prestigious 1L summer options.
Umm... what? Maybe if you go to Yale? But most places it is pretty prestigious to extern for a federal judge your 1L summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”