How to spin sodomy law interest for OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
The McRib Is Risen

New

How to spin sodomy law interest for OCI?

Post by The McRib Is Risen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Hey guys,

I have a really strong interest in sodomy law and wrote an article for a secondary journal about developments in sodomy law and sodomy litigation since Lawrence. Obviously there aren't really a lot of private sector options for practice here (esp. since Lawrence), but how do I discuss this when employers at OCI ask about my professional interests? Obviously I don't want to offend anyone, as I know sodomy is kind of a contentious issue, but I do find it incredibly interesting.

Any advice anyone might have? Has anyone heard of people going from biglaw into sodomy practice?

jump_man

Bronze

Re: How to spin sodomy law interest for OCI?

Post by jump_man » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:19 pm

The McRib Is Risen wrote:Hey guys,

I have a really strong interest in sodomy law and wrote an article for a secondary journal about developments in sodomy law and sodomy litigation since Lawrence. Obviously there aren't really a lot of private sector options for practice here (esp. since Lawrence), but how do I discuss this when employers at OCI ask about my professional interests? Obviously I don't want to offend anyone, as I know sodomy is kind of a contentious issue, but I do find it incredibly interesting.

Any advice anyone might have? Has anyone heard of people going from biglaw into sodomy practice?
What kind of firm/organization do you want to work for to further this interest? I don't think there are any sodomy practice groups at the kinds of firms that recruit at OCI . . . if you know what I mean.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:21 pm

jump_man wrote: What kind of firm/organization do you want to work for to further this interest? I don't think there are any sodomy practice groups at the kinds of firms that recruit at OCI . . . if you know what I mean.
Are we talking hard sodomy or soft sodomy?

The McRib Is Risen

New

Post by The McRib Is Risen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:22 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
jump_man wrote: What kind of firm/organization do you want to work for to further this interest? I don't think there are any sodomy practice groups at the kinds of firms that recruit at OCI . . . if you know what I mean.
I'm mainly interested in the evolving definition of sodomy per se. Right now there is a circuit split on the issue that, after Lawrence, will probably never get resolved.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Sup SBL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:26 pm

The McRib Is Risen wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:
I'm mainly interested in the evolving definition of sodomy per se. Right now there is a circuit split on the issue that, after Lawrence, will probably never get resolved.
IIRC Paul Weiss has a strong sodomy lit practice, so I would definitely bid there. But if you want to do transactional sodomy work, Latham is the way to go.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:27 pm

"So I see you have an interest in sodomy law. Tell me gommorrah bout that."

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:57 pm

SBLOL

anonymous2012

New

Post by anonymous2012 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:38 pm

This post brings new meaning to the word flame.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anonymous2012

New

Post by anonymous2012 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:39 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
I think we can trust lower courts to fill in the gaps.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:50 pm

anonymous2012 wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:
Or even the holes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:56 pm

anonymous2012 wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:
I just worry that this kind of backdoor jurisprudence won't survive a facial challenge.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”