Data on students seeking vs receiving offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
UMich11

Data on students seeking vs receiving offers

Postby UMich11 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:20 pm

Any data out there showing what % or # of students at specific schools pursue job opportunities through OCI for SA or after-LS jobs and receive them, vs those that don't receive them? For big law, business, PI, etc?

Maybe it's just me, but i see this as a better metric to gauge their success in the legal market. Logically most students will be pursuing jobs, but not always.

I know ABA shows those unemployed, seeking, but i'm looking for more granular data.

Anonymous User

Re: Data on students seeking vs receiving offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Probably not that useful for comparing peer schools. E.g., there's no reason to believe that students at Michigan have substantially different interests and goals than students at UVA. There might be some school-specific cultural issues (YS and to a lesser extent H are outliers given the unique opportunities open to students there, NYU is probably somewhat more PI-focused than Columbia, GW is probably somewhat more government-focused than USC, etc), but generally schools that are ranked similarly generally have students with similar goals.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Probably not that useful for comparing peer schools. E.g., there's no reason to believe that students at Michigan have substantially different interests and goals than students at UVA. There might be some school-specific cultural issues (YS and to a lesser extent H are outliers given the unique opportunities open to students there, NYU is probably somewhat more PI-focused than Columbia, GW is probably somewhat more government-focused than USC, etc), but generally schools that are ranked similarly generally have students with similar goals.

No need for anon in this circumstance.

Moreover, this is exactly why the data would be useful. Everyone thinks they know how people self-select, but we don't have data. I get that you can repeat the TLS mantra, but it's fairly irrelevant. I would be very interested in finding out what OP is seeking.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:15 pm

From what I recall from other threads, OP believes that T14's outperform regional schools (the T20 range) because of self selection. I may be mischaracterizing OP's position, but the thesis that I have stated I find to be laughable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Well, part of the problem with the data you're asking for is that, to a large extent, students won't apply for positions they know they can't get. So I'm sure you'll see that far fewer regional powerhouse students apply for top firms as compared with T14 students...but that's not because those regional students who don't apply wouldn't kill for a biglaw placement (if they knew it was an option all throughout law school) -- there's just no reason to apply for Cravath if you're below median at Wisconsin.

Another example of this is clerkships. Probably about 40% of the class at Harvard applies for fed clerkships but probably only about 20% of the class at Georgetown does. I suspect that even if you talked with the people in the respective classes who didn't apply, many would say they weren't really interested (although if you pressed them hard and were like "pretend like you just got a book prize in a class taught by a judge in the city you're planning on working in and he offers you a clerkship -- would you accept then, assuming you like the guy/gal?" I'm sure many of them would change their answer). But if you look at the class rank of those who do and do not apply, you'd find a better explanation -- there aren't many Harvard students who are well above median who don't apply, and there are very few Harvard students who are well below median who do apply. Ditto Georgetown (albeit more drastically). Is it self-selection? Is there something about Harvard that makes people want clerkships more relative to Georgetown? I suppose in some sense there is -- Harvard students can actually GET clerkships. Feasibility is a powerful factor in determining student preferences. But outside of that, no, there probably isn't anything driving the preferences at the respective schools. Therefore, collecting info about how many students apply for fed clerkships at Harvard v. Georgetown will tell you little outside of how confident Harvard students are about their chances of getting clerkships v. Georgetown students. More Harvard students will be applying for fed clerkships, because more people at Harvard have a real chance of getting a fed clerkship than at Georgetown.

abl

Postby abl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:34 pm

Sorry -- I'm anon above.

Return to “Legal Employment”