Willkie Callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Willkie Callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:45 am

Are you 2Ls or 3Ls?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:50 am

2L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes. I summered there this past summer and, as far as I know, I was the only person who received an offer that way (I'm still not sure why, it may have had something to do with the fact that I was able to schedule my CB before the recruiting season was in full swing and I was lucky enough to hit it off with all of my interviewers). The amount of time they took to make other people offers varies, but I spoke with my recruiter and she said that it takes about week, although they may shorten the amount of time it takes not that recruiting season has officially started.

Can you tell us a bit about your experience? How'd you like the rotation system? Are the people really that great? Is it weird being in the same office as an associate? Do you feel like the Willkie name will give strong exit-options? Are you happy with your position? Are they really strong in areas outside of general lit/corporate (not just middle market work)?

My summer was amazing. The rotation system worked well, although you sometimes have carry over from one rotation to the next. I really liked a particular department, so I actually did two rotations with that same department. Everyone, from partners to associates to the other summers, are all extremely nice and helpful. It was great sharing an office with a first year associate because I could just ask the associate any dumb questions I had (for example, I once asked her how to save a Word document and she was super helpful). I'm not sure about exit options, but I know we get a lot of laterals from other firms (I spoke to some from Latham and White & Case) who want better hours and a better work environment. I picked Willkie because I don't want to lateral from big law firm to big law firm. I know people who lateraled from Willkie to smaller firms without an issue, so it seems that the exit options are fine. Also, as far I understand, headhunters will always be calling if you're a big law associate, regardless of the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes. I summered there this past summer and, as far as I know, I was the only person who received an offer that way (I'm still not sure why, it may have had something to do with the fact that I was able to schedule my CB before the recruiting season was in full swing and I was lucky enough to hit it off with all of my interviewers). The amount of time they took to make other people offers varies, but I spoke with my recruiter and she said that it takes about week, although they may shorten the amount of time it takes not that recruiting season has officially started.

Can you tell us a bit about your experience? How'd you like the rotation system? Are the people really that great? Is it weird being in the same office as an associate? Do you feel like the Willkie name will give strong exit-options? Are you happy with your position? Are they really strong in areas outside of general lit/corporate (not just middle market work)?

My summer was amazing. The rotation system worked well, although you sometimes have carry over from one rotation to the next. I really liked a particular department, so I actually did two rotations with that same department. Everyone, from partners to associates to the other summers, are all extremely nice and helpful. It was great sharing an office with a first year associate because I could just ask the associate any dumb questions I had (for example, I once asked her how to save a Word document and she was super helpful). I'm not sure about exit options, but I know we get a lot of laterals from other firms (I spoke to some from Latham and White & Case) who want better hours and a better work environment. I picked Willkie because I don't want to lateral from big law firm to big law firm. I know people who lateraled from Willkie to smaller firms without an issue, so it seems that the exit options are fine. Also, as far I understand, headhunters will always be calling if you're a big law associate, regardless of the firm.

I also summered at Willkie and agree with all of this. The rotations are great because you actually get the experience of being part of a practice group, as you would as an associate. Plus, attorneys know that you are in their group for a given period and they will seek you out to do projects, which makes it easy to get assignments you're interested in. If you want to do stuff outside of your official rotation, you can.

I also enjoyed having an office-mate. I guess it could be weird if you want to make a lot of personal phone calls or something, but I agree it was great to be able to ask my office-mate random questions. In addition, it gave some insight into the life of an associate, which is particularly helpful if your office mate is in a practice group you're interested in.

Summering at Willkie was absolutely a great experience. Everyone -- partners, associates, the other summers -- was incredibly nice, helpful, and fun. 8 years of 100% offers is pretty nice too -- takes a lot of the stress away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:16 pm

I really appreciate the responses ITT.

If I were to get an offer, is it normal to schedule a second visit to the firm? One of the main reasons I'd go there is the culture, and I really want to make sure that it's universal and not just the people I interview with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I really appreciate the responses ITT.

If I were to get an offer, is it normal to schedule a second visit to the firm? One of the main reasons I'd go there is the culture, and I really want to make sure that it's universal and not just the people I interview with.

I didn't do a second visit, but I think it's standard practice for all big law firms to allow you to take a second look when deciding between firms. If you get an offer, you should definitely ask recruiting about doing a second look (everyone in recruiting is super nice). If it helps, I did not encounter a single unpleasant person during the 10 weeks I was there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote: 8 years of 100% offers is pretty nice too -- takes a lot of the stress away.

Can't stress this enough. When you're working at a firm, much like law school, there will always be things that are outside your control. Going to a firm that prides itself on it's offer rates means that you don't have to worry about being no-offered for some ridiculous, arbitrary reason that you had no control over. If you're doing something wrong, they'll go out of their way to tell you so that you can fix it before it's too late. It was nice going into final reviews knowing that we were all getting offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:04 am

any news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:34 am

Have a CB at Willkie in the next 10 days. Super excited about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:56 am

I have an offer after a CB last week. I really loved everyone I spoke with and everyone seemed genuinely to like working there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:55 am

OP here. Had the CB last week. Hope to hear back this week!

To reiterate what's been said, everyone I met seemed committed to maintaining the firm's collegial reputation, and no one I spoke with seemed to take themselves too seriously. It would be hard to choose another NYC firm, if I'm fortunate enough to get an offer.

Good luck to all, once again, and congrats to those who have received offers this early!

(To the previous poster, I'm wondering what day you had your CB last week and if we perhaps met each other?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Had the CB last week. Hope to hear back this week!

To reiterate what's been said, everyone I met seemed committed to maintaining the firm's collegial reputation, and no one I spoke with seemed to take themselves too seriously. It would be hard to choose another NYC firm, if I'm fortunate enough to get an offer.

Good luck to all, once again, and congrats to those who have received offers this early!

(To the previous poster, I'm wondering what day you had your CB last week and if we perhaps met each other?)

Don't want to completely out myself, but interviewed mid-week and met some interviewees from Cornell

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:26 pm

For those who received offers, what was your CB-->offer wait time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who received offers, what was your CB-->offer wait time?

Same day offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those who received offers, what was your CB-->offer wait time?

Same day offer

Mid-week CB or end of week?

Hiring partner told me they would review my file in a committee of hiring partners and get back to me. I'm assuming this means a ding, which wouldn't surprise me all that much (not my finest CB although not bad either).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:11 pm

FWIW, this is from Willkie's website:

When are hiring decisions communicated?
Our hiring committee meets regularly to review candidates, and hiring decisions are made on a rolling basis. Candidates are notified about decisions shortly after their in-office interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same day offer

Mid-week CB or end of week?

Hiring partner told me they would review my file in a committee of hiring partners and get back to me. I'm assuming this means a ding, which wouldn't surprise me all that much (not my finest CB although not bad either).

mid-week. I wouldn't give up hope yet, I think the turnaround on my offer was probably not the norm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:42 pm

On the spot offer.
Loved everyone there. Super pumped.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:11 pm

For those who received on-the-spot offers, could you post whether your CB was before last week, early last week, or late last week? Thanks :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who received on-the-spot offers, could you post whether your CB was before last week, early last week, or late last week? Thanks :)

Sorry, I'm not sure how many of these went out and this would get way too close to outing myself without providing much helpful information to you. Why do you ask?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those who received on-the-spot offers, could you post whether your CB was before last week, early last week, or late last week? Thanks :)

Sorry, I'm not sure how many of these went out and this would get way too close to outing myself without providing much helpful information to you. Why do you ask?

At least a few we're given out per this thread. The reason for asking is that some people did cb's and didn't get on the spot offers so we're trying to figure out if it was tied to when in the week the cb was (perhaps certain decision makers weren't around after that?). Just confirming that yours was/wasn't either today or thurs/fri last week is sufficient.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

At least a few we're given out per this thread. The reason for asking is that some people did cb's and didn't get on the spot offers so we're trying to figure out if it was tied to when in the week the cb was (perhaps certain decision makers weren't around after that?). Just confirming that yours was/wasn't either today or thurs/fri last week is sufficient.

I can confirm that. Sorry about that, you have a good point.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:07 am

SA'd there last summer. A lot of people in my class didn't get on the spot offers. Although I know at least one or two people got offers on the same day, others got offers over a week later. Try not to read too much into it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I can confirm that. Sorry about that, you have a good point.

Are you confirming that it was or wasn't? Sorry, it's just unclear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Are you confirming that it was or wasn't? Sorry, it's just unclear.

Wasn't. Sorry, I posted this late last night :P

Return to “Legal Employment”