3L OCI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L OCI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:25 pm

3L friend of mine at TTT who did NOT have 2L SA scored NVC V10 this week through massmail/hustle. (I know this isn't OCI, but somewhat inspiring nonetheless.)

billyanks2

Postby billyanks2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Are people generally doing their mass mailing and networking now? My clerkship office suggests waiting as late as September since firms won't know their hiring needs until then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L friend of mine at TTT who did NOT have 2L SA scored NVC V10 this week through massmail/hustle. (I know this isn't OCI, but somewhat inspiring nonetheless.)

Out of curiousity, did he/she score an offer or an interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L friend of mine at TTT who did NOT have 2L SA scored NVC V10 this week through massmail/hustle. (I know this isn't OCI, but somewhat inspiring nonetheless.)

Sorry-- Full time offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry-- Full time offer

Thanks. As the offer is already accepted, would you mind sharing the name of the firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:27 pm

What's NVC? When did your friend send the initial email expressing interest? It seems kinda early to be getting a full time offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What's NVC? When did your friend send the initial email expressing interest? It seems kinda early to be getting a full time offer

Places I know that posted in June doing resume collects said they wouldn't start interviewing until August.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Places I know that posted in June doing resume collects said they wouldn't start interviewing until August.

I assume NVC is NYC... one of the larger NYC firms recently informed me that they intended to hire, but didn't know their needs as of yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:41 am

Sorry, NYC not NVC. Started networking hard spring of this year after s/he knew the 2L SA boat had sailed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:28 pm

To everyone who has sent out targeted/mass mails, please post if you receive an interview!

No need to post the firm name, but just the general area (NYC, DC, SF, etc) so that the rest of us can know when there's movement.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:03 pm

My school combines 2L and 3L OCI, so there are 2Ls and 3Ls competing for the same interview slots. It's all done through lottery, and I managed to get 0 through the bidding system. Yipee. Time for mass mailing.

I am top 25% T14 with no 2L SA, so I am going to hit the ding pile pretty fast.

iLaw

Postby iLaw » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My school combines 2L and 3L OCI, so there are 2Ls and 3Ls competing for the same interview slots. It's all done through lottery, and I managed to get 0 through the bidding system. Yipee. Time for mass mailing.

I assume you spent (debt) around $250K with hopes of landing in the top 25% of a T-14. And you did. With all of that you still did not receive a 2L SA. That is absolutely baffling. There must be a logical explanation. Care to enlighten?

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:43 pm

iLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My school combines 2L and 3L OCI, so there are 2Ls and 3Ls competing for the same interview slots. It's all done through lottery, and I managed to get 0 through the bidding system. Yipee. Time for mass mailing.

I assume you spent (debt) around $250K with hopes of landing in the top 25% of a T-14. And you did. With all of that you still did not receive a 2L SA. That is absolutely baffling. There must be a logical explanation. Care to enlighten?

Not OP, I'm not sure what there is to enlighten. The market is competitive and some candidates will end up without a 2L SA just by virtue of flawed bidding not being the best interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Is it worth it to apply to a firm that previously dinged me after a screener or callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:19 pm

iLaw wrote:

My LS debt is <$100k. I am a transfer student from a very small legal market. I am assuming that is the logical explanation given that I have LR and all of that shit. Too late to care about any of that now. Must focus on getting some sort of post-grad job now. I guess I will just return to the Vale since 3L OCI is not possible for me now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 pm

The following NYC firms have rejected me due to few spots, indicating they are hiring, unless it was completely generic:

Quinn Emmanuel
Linklaters

Otherwise, no bites

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The following NYC firms have rejected me due to few spots, indicating they are hiring, unless it was completely generic:

Quinn Emmanuel
Linklaters

Otherwise, no bites

At this stage I would think it's generic. 3L hiring seems to be on another timeline than the 2L race.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:44 pm

Just out of curiosity, two things:

1) What is the 3L hiring timeline? I assume it is later than the 2L one for obvious reasons, but how much later? Is is possible that applying too early - like now - would actually make them just forget about you as they focus on 2Ls?

2) I had one OCI screener. My interviewer was an associate. For associates, do they generally have callback decisionmaking power, or do they just bring back the resumes from a screener and give it to the hiring partner?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity, two things:

1) What is the 3L hiring timeline? I assume it is later than the 2L one for obvious reasons, but how much later? Is is possible that applying too early - like now - would actually make them just forget about you as they focus on 2Ls?

2) I had one OCI screener. My interviewer was an associate. For associates, do they generally have callback decisionmaking power, or do they just bring back the resumes from a screener and give it to the hiring partner?

Posted this in another thread:

Based on my cursory research there are a couple scenarios where firms hire 3Ls:

1.) Firms that almost always hire 3Ls, like Cravath, Cleary DC, etc. These are the firms that show up to 3LOLCI but, at least according to my CSO and basically everyone on this board, they want people who are trading-up. Not saying it's impossible just that it's unlikely without at 2L SA.

2.) Firms where summers turned down their offers or they messed up yield projections and got a smaller summer class than they wanted (I read K&E Chicago did this this year.) These firms will often post on Symplicity or you'll hear about stuff through the grapevine, especially if it's a smaller firm.

3.) Firms who need more bodies because of a growing practice area or not enough summers signed up for that practice area. See above.

At least from what I've been seeing on my Symplicity so far most of the hiring is practice-area specific or at least corporate/transactional specific. So, sending out a bunch of resumes to every firm on NALP is not going to be a good strategy. Your best bet is to cultivate a network and rely on that.

To your timeline question, there is no timeline. Vault firms will post jobs in July and they'll post jobs in April.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:59 am

Top 15% MVB, public interest firms both summers, LR and a secondary. Change of heart about big firm work. Not sure if this is going to work out, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:10 am

I didn't know we were just sharing our stories... but in the interest of procrastination I will share mine as well.

Median, Lower T-14, no journal, 2L SA at an investment bank (in-house). This is gonna be a shit show.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:09 pm

What do you guys say to the interviewing firm when they ask why you are looking to leave your summer firm?

If you haven't heard from your summer firm, isn't it pretty obvious they're like a back-up? Is the better tact to act like you want to "move up" and see what other opportunities are out there?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Sorry if this has been covered before, but when emailing a resume to a managing partner (boutique firm), is the SOP to copy + paste your cover letter in the email body, rather than attach it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Seeing all these stories hopefully removes some of the stigma associated with striking out. Top 1/3, T14, secondary journal, worked as a summer clerk at a litigation firm over the summer... I got no firm interviews (lottery bidding, and I did a bad job + only two non-IP firms interviewing at my school), but have 4 federal gov. interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:18 pm

T6, Above Median, struck out due to anxiety/depression/bad interviewing. Haven't gotten bidding results back yet but been networking like a vandal.

Return to “Legal Employment”