3L OCI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L OCI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:08 am

Has anyone received an offer? If so, what are your stats? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an offer? If so, what are your stats? Thanks.

I have 2 CBs next week so i'll let you know. I think the timeline is slower for 3Ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:24 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"][quote="Anonymous User"]Has anyone received an offer? If so, what are your stats? Thanks.[/quote]

I have 2 CBs next week so i'll let you know. I think the timeline is slower for 3Ls.[/quote]

Do you mind saying where?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an offer? If so, what are your stats? Thanks.

I have 2 CBs next week so i'll let you know. I think the timeline is slower for 3Ls.

Do you mind saying where?

It's so few 3L offers going out I don't really want to say. One is at a F100 company and the other is at a non NYC office of a V20.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Any word from any V20 firms in NYC recently...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just finished my callbacks with Simpson Thacher and Davis Polk earlier this week. Crossing my fingers

I posted the above. I haven't heard anything from either firm and it'll be around a week on mon & tues, so I'm not feeling that great about it. I remember last year most of my offers came around 3-5 days after the interview, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this. I'm not sure if 3L hiring is any different. I felt really good about my STB interview, and not so great about DPW (so I don't expect anything from DPW).

I'm the same poster. I just received an offer from DPW NYC in Litigation last monday. No word from STB, so how you feel after a cb is totally not indicative at all I suppose.

My stats: T6, I estimate that I was around top 20%-30% for both years. I had a summer job at a V20 firm this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just finished my callbacks with Simpson Thacher and Davis Polk earlier this week. Crossing my fingers

I posted the above. I haven't heard anything from either firm and it'll be around a week on mon & tues, so I'm not feeling that great about it. I remember last year most of my offers came around 3-5 days after the interview, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this. I'm not sure if 3L hiring is any different. I felt really good about my STB interview, and not so great about DPW (so I don't expect anything from DPW).

I'm the same poster. I just received an offer from DPW NYC in Litigation last monday. No word from STB, so how you feel after a cb is totally not indicative at all I suppose.

My stats: T6, I estimate that I was around top 20%-30% for both years. I had a summer job at a V20 firm this summer.

I guess that means I got rejected because I've heard nothing. I wanted litigation also.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from any V20 firms in NYC recently...

or V20's in DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:23 pm

I wonder if it's worth it to contact alums at these firms right now. I always feel like I'm bothering someone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

or V20's in DC?

I have two V20 DC callbacks coming up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:36 pm

Can people with CBs elaborate how they came to be? I had a few interviews at OCI, resulting in nothing but rejections, and I also dropped a bunch of resumes. What else have people ITT done that has worked?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can people with CBs elaborate how they came to be? I had a few interviews at OCI, resulting in nothing but rejections, and I also dropped a bunch of resumes. What else have people ITT done that has worked?

Honestly, have an SA and/or amazing grades. Maybe seek offices outside of NYC/DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can people with CBs elaborate how they came to be? I had a few interviews at OCI, resulting in nothing but rejections, and I also dropped a bunch of resumes. What else have people ITT done that has worked?

Honestly, have an SA and/or amazing grades. Maybe seek offices outside of NYC/DC.
I do have an SA+offer, and solid, if not amazing grades; looking in a secondary market. Still can't get anything near a bite. Because of my situation, I'm not sending out 300 apps, but even 20-30 with rejections no matter how well the interview went is unpleasant. I'm just wondering if the CBs are going to people with connections, or who worked their social contacts to the ground before applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I do have an SA+offer, and solid, if not amazing grades; looking in a secondary market. Still can't get anything near a bite. Because of my situation, I'm not sending out 300 apps, but even 20-30 with rejections no matter how well the interview went is unpleasant. I'm just wondering if the CBs are going to people with connections, or who worked their social contacts to the ground before applying.

Above anon. I've networked like crazy with alums. No interviews outside of OCI. Also solid grades at a T6. No SA though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm the anon that just got the dpw offer. I wrote cover letters and emailed them w/ my resume and unofficial transcript to the recruiter. I think the cover letter (vs just doing a screener interview at OCI or resume dropping at hospitality suites) helped because I got to elaborate on why i wanted to work there, and gave me a chance to sell myself as a really good summer associate without having to do an awkward screener where a lot of it is based on whether this one guy that's seen you for 20 mins likes you or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

or V20's in DC?

I have two V20 DC callbacks coming up.

Mind sharing which ones? Are they for specific practice groups? If so, what practice areas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Above anon. I've networked like crazy with alums. No interviews outside of OCI. Also solid grades at a T6. No SA though.

What would you say in an initial email to an alum

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:52 pm

How long are you all planning to leave offers open? Confused as to when I should call it quits and just take my SA offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long are you all planning to leave offers open? Confused as to when I should call it quits and just take my SA offer

I already accepted my offer but I'm still looking and if something I want more comes up I'm taking that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:23 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"][quote="Anonymous User"]Can people with CBs elaborate how they came to be? I had a few interviews at OCI, resulting in nothing but rejections, and I also dropped a bunch of resumes. What else have people ITT done that has worked?[/quote]

I'm the anon that just got the dpw offer. I wrote cover letters and emailed them w/ my resume and unofficial transcript to the recruiter. I think the cover letter (vs just doing a screener interview at OCI or resume dropping at hospitality suites) helped because I got to elaborate on why i wanted to work there, and gave me a chance to sell myself as a really good summer associate without having to do an awkward screener where a lot of it is based on whether this one guy that's seen you for 20 mins likes you or not.[/quote]

To the anon who got the dpw offer, anyway you would be willing to send me your cover letter. I'm not sure exactly what to say in them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:25 pm

Anybody know what practices/offices Cooley is hiring for. I tried to email their Recruiting person but got no response.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:33 am

Any Bickel Brewer news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:21 am

I had a call back late last week. Still no word yet from V20 firm in DC. The suspense is killing me lol!

lifesucks

Postby lifesucks » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a call back late last week. Still no word yet from V20 firm in DC. The suspense is killing me lol!

also had a call back last week... felt it went really well. they asked about offer though, sigh. this waiting is killing me, so much worse than waiting for 2L SA offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:29 pm

lifesucks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a call back late last week. Still no word yet from V20 firm in DC. The suspense is killing me lol!

also had a call back last week... felt it went really well. they asked about offer though, sigh. this waiting is killing me, so much worse than waiting for 2L SA offers.

Any word from Cleary DC? Had an OCI interview last week but have heard nothing.

Return to “Legal Employment”