3L OCI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L OCI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Posted in the 3L whine thread, but told to post here too. If we are sharing stories, I transferred from a 40-50 ranked to school to MVP and struck out at OCI last year. I worked for a federal agency this summer. I did not get my summer job until april and then I really dropped the ball on clerkships.

I got straight As 2L year (and 3/4 of my classes were graded on curve, so it's not all BS), and why I don't know my exact ranking, I got told unofficially that I'm in the top 3%.

Anyway, is there any list of firms who are hiring.

I am mainly interested in DC or southeast, but would consider NY

Thus far I know:

Latham, Cravath, Williams and Conolly, Cleary, Debevoise, Paul Weiss. I really don't need to be a v10 or v20, but I would like to get some big law job.

I assume some of these firms aren't doing OCI all t14 schools, so if anyone knows who is their schools I'd appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't know we were just sharing our stories... but in the interest of procrastination I will share mine as well.

Median, Lower T-14, no journal, 2L SA at an investment bank (in-house). This is gonna be a shit show.
I also am in-house at an investment bank. I need to start mass mailing. I'm staying here in the fall, but I don't know that it will turn into post grad employment (and I wouldn't know until Spring).

I have a non OCI interview with an NYC firm and an OCI interview with the Federal Reserve Board. I would definitely jump on either opportunity, so fingers crossed.

(T-30, journal editor, moot court, not so great 1L grades, but nearly straight As during 2L)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I didn't know we were just sharing our stories... but in the interest of procrastination I will share mine as well.

Median, Lower T-14, no journal, 2L SA at an investment bank (in-house). This is gonna be a shit show.
I also am in-house at an investment bank. I need to start mass mailing. I'm staying here in the fall, but I don't know that it will turn into post grad employment (and I wouldn't know until Spring).

I have a non OCI interview with an NYC firm and an OCI interview with the Federal Reserve Board. I would definitely jump on either opportunity, so fingers crossed.

(T-30, journal editor, moot court, not so great 1L grades, but nearly straight As during 2L)
To the fellow i-bank SA above: how did you end up getting your non-OCI NYC firm interview? Was it through networking or through a referral from your bank?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

To the fellow i-bank SA above: how did you end up getting your non-OCI NYC firm interview? Was it through networking or through a referral from your bank?
It was purely networking. I spoke to an ex colleague who now works with their firm on cases sometimes, and I reached out to someone in my ideal practice group who was on my journal when he was in LS.

You should definitely network with people at your bank though. I just got talking to a trader who, as it turns out, has a JD and worked at a firm before going back to get his MBA. There are great resources here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Posted in the 3L whine thread, but told to post here too. If we are sharing stories, I transferred from a 40-50 ranked to school to MVP and struck out at OCI last year. I worked for a federal agency this summer. I did not get my summer job until april and then I really dropped the ball on clerkships.

I got straight As 2L year (and 3/4 of my classes were graded on curve, so it's not all BS), and why I don't know my exact ranking, I got told unofficially that I'm in the top 3%.

Thus far I know:

Latham, Cravath, Williams and Conolly, Cleary, Debevoise, Paul Weiss. I really don't need to be a v10 or v20, but I would like to get some big law job.

I assume some of these firms aren't doing OCI all t14 schools, so if anyone knows who is their schools I'd appreciate it.
Would mind stating which office

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:06 pm

We have a whopping three firms coming. All are coming to interview 2Ls but said they'd interview 3Ls too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Posted in the 3L whine thread, but told to post here too. If we are sharing stories, I transferred from a 40-50 ranked to school to MVP and struck out at OCI last year. I worked for a federal agency this summer. I did not get my summer job until april and then I really dropped the ball on clerkships.

Thus far I know:

Would mind stating which office
Cleary DC and New York,
Debevoise DC
Paul Weiss NY (corporate only)
Latham everywhere
Cooley, everywhere

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Had my interviews. They went well but I'm definitely expecting a ding from one of them. The interviewer there told me I had everything they were looking for, but flat out said they planned to give only a limited amount of callbacks and that the firm paid less than the firm I summered at. I tried to deflect that talk as much as possible, but I'm hoping they don't think I'm only using them as a backup option (even though I probably am).

I prepared for it, but the dynamic of 3L OCI is a bit odd.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Anyone have any luck with mass mail?

Also, any other notable OCI experiences?

I have 3 oci interviews and one non-Oci coming up...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any luck with mass mail?

Also, any other notable OCI experiences?

I have 3 oci interviews and one non-Oci coming up...
Nothing...

What market are you interviews in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:58 pm

I have a ton of e-mails that I have prepared as drafts on my mailbox. Should I send them next week? Should I wait until after OCI? Anyone has any idea what our timeline should be for this process? I am afraid to send them too early, but also I do not want to miss the hiring boat (more lying a flying dutchman).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:27 am

I wonder whether the 3L OCI questions would be different than that of 2L OCI? I mean if I still don't know the specific area of practice that I want, will a general answer like "transactional practice" still fly?

J. D.

New

Post by J. D. » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:30 pm

There will undoubtedbly be questions about your SA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:59 am

J. D. wrote:There will undoubtedbly be questions about your SA.
Thank you for your unbelievable insight :P

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Anyone know how to appropriately indicate you have a 2L SA offer in a CL for 3L postings/OCI? Should you wait for them to ask?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how to appropriately indicate you have a 2L SA offer in a CL for 3L postings/OCI? Should you wait for them to ask?
What's wrong with "This summer, I worked at Johnston & Murphy LLP. I focused on corporate work, and got excellent reviews and an offer to return after graduation. However, my experience over the summer made me realize that I prefer litigation."
?
I don't know the perfect language but I would not wait for them to ask, because you don't want them to think for a minute that you didn't get an offer. And when they are filtering the hundreds of applications they filter, one of the rounds might just get rid of the ones that would require clarification.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Anyone receive OCI callback yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone receive OCI callback yet?
Nope. Interviews were about a week ago...not a peep. I imagine 3L hiring is on a different timeline than 2L hiring though?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:00 am

I just finished my callbacks with Simpson Thacher and Davis Polk earlier this week. Crossing my fingers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how to appropriately indicate you have a 2L SA offer in a CL for 3L postings/OCI? Should you wait for them to ask?
What's wrong with "This summer, I worked at Johnston & Murphy LLP. I focused on corporate work, and got excellent reviews and an offer to return after graduation. However, my experience over the summer made me realize that I prefer litigation."
?
I don't know the perfect language but I would not wait for them to ask, because you don't want them to think for a minute that you didn't get an offer. And when they are filtering the hundreds of applications they filter, one of the rounds might just get rid of the ones that would require clarification.

I have put (offer extended) on my resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Anyone hear from Skadden NY?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Dinged by Cravath.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just finished my callbacks with Simpson Thacher and Davis Polk earlier this week. Crossing my fingers
How did you get the screeners?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:55 pm

Any news on Williams and Connolly? screeners/callbacks/ anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just finished my callbacks with Simpson Thacher and Davis Polk earlier this week. Crossing my fingers
How did you get the screeners?
Applied to them before the summer associate program ended, and gave me a callback right off the bat without doing a screener first.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”